Quantcast
What's your "never buy" gun? - Page 54 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 16, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1326
Mr transformer

Quote:
The SKS is milled, not sheet metal.
Fixed... My brain wasn't working......
Old January 16, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1327
hq

Over the years I've made up my mind on quite a few "never buy" guns.

Later I've bought and kept many of them. Never say never.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1328
gmh1013

Any Glock
Any light (20oz and under) .357
Any Kimber
Any S&W .22 auto.....jamamatic....or just about any S&W auto
Any .25 auto...except and old Browning

I see lots of Taurus hate but my 9mm 92 is one if not the best auto ive ever owned...and i have lots of them...plus i like the frame mounted safety
Old January 16, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1329
ApacheCoTodd

I'd go Glock. Considering one of the OP's perspectives was "except maybe to turn around and sell to some dumb sucker for a nice profit", a lot of turds don't make the list because there are some firearms I don't want to be responsible for passing on.

Glock on the other hand is a manufacturer I've only ever backed into and happily sold on quickly. While I recognize them to be fine pistols - they simply do nothing for me and I find the visually and tactilely offensive.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1330
glenns

P3AT.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1331
LTR shooter

Quote:
What would you never get for yourself, and why?
Any currently available Glock.

Why?

1-They do not fit my hand well at all and I've handled many different models at gun shows.

2-They do not point naturally for me. Probably due to #1.

3-The recoil or muzzle flip even with a 9 mm seems to be excessive.

4-Glock is the only pistol I've ever fired where my trigger finger was pinched when firing.

5-Basically the most unappealing firearm I've ever had the displeasure of shooting.
Old January 16, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1332
PastorAaron

Glock. Ar 15 (not a fan of the .223, another caliber maybe).
Old January 16, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1333
Mauser lover

I already have my "never buy gun" and it turns out that I like it!
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 (KJV)
If you take away my second amendment, you are messing with my first amendment.
Not dead, just at college.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1334
Swichblade

Don't see myself owning an AR-15.

I am more of a handgun shooter than a rifle shooter in the first place, and I don't want to have to baby a gun to get it to work well. My father's has had a casing stick in the chamber within the first 60 rounds fired, twice, and we couldn't get it out until we got home from the range. The gun was clean, but we recently found out that it sits unfired for so long that the applied oil dries up. I still believe a gun shouldn't malfunction that badly from going once without being oiled.

Until recently I was very anti glock. I have fired a Glock 21 many times, and it never feels right to me, I can never do well with it. But I would like to shoot a glock 17 sometime, because its smaller grip could possibly fit my hand better.

I am still young, though. I have a lot of time for my mind to change.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1335
Hk Paul

I'll never buy a gun from Springfield Armory. I bought a base one about 8 years ago and the thing was milled so poorly that I couldn't get the slide off. I took it back and got another one- exact same problem! This experience, combined with the fact that the company is only Springfield Armory in name, and most of their guns aren't made in the USA, makes me never want to have one. Ever.

Kimber has gone downhill. So I won't buy another. Which is fine as I'm a Colt man anyways. Sig... They have turned to junk as well. It is sad as there are only a few companies I trust to buy from now. If I can't have 100% faith in the weapon, then I don't want to own it.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1336
helitack32f1

Pretty much any Sig or HK. Full size or compact. I have never held a sig that feels proper in the hand. Same could be said for HK, combined with the fact that they charge way the heck too much for blocky poor feeling guns. I will never understand why a P30 has to cost as much as it does.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:01 AM   #1337
JRH6856

Any Glock for the same reasons as LTR Shooter
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1338
kvtcomdo

Many are NOT my favorite and I rarely look to those manufacturers while making a purchase, but the older I get I have trouble with the concept of never.

As one NEVER knows what the future may hold.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin
NRA Benefactor life; TSRA Life; GOA Life: CCRKBA Life: US Army 1972-80
Old January 17, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1339
charlie echo

Any firearm with less penetration than a 158 HP 38 SPL +P Federal Nyclad, except perhaps 00 Buck 16 or 12 gauage.
7.62x39.
Made in China.

Lever actions: the Marlin Guide Gun loaded with Garret's hard cast ammo
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570.html
sounds good, but I have trouble smoothly cycling levers in timed situations with my Winchester '94 44 RM -- rather buy a 458 WM bolt action and reload to save on the $$$ ammo costs
Old January 18, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1340
wagon.driver

S&W 4006. Inherited one from my brother after he committed suicide with it. I shot it every month for a year after that, just because it gave me a space to grieve. Then I sold it because it took me to a negative place whenever I was around it.

On the other hand, I had a S&W 3913 my brother gave me when I turned 21 (not a ladysmith). I sold it a year later because me wife "didn't like having handguns in the house". I've regretted that choice ever since. I wish I could find that guy I sold it to and buy it back.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1341
baylorattorney

Hi point 40 sw handgun
Raven arms anything

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.354707,-98.158178
Old January 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1342
baylorattorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1858remington View Post
Anything by:
1.Davis
2.Bryco
3.Jennings
4.RG
5.Cobra
6. Hi-point
And these. Never.

Old iver Johnson revolvers
Old January 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1343
wleggart

Ruger lever action tricked out something or other!

Saw a picture of a new black ruger lever action with top eject, shrouded front guard, folding stock ad infinitum! Shame on them!
Old January 18, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1344
Gunnerboy

GLOCK or any AR series except an original stoner AR thatd be cool.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1345
gpb

I especially enjoy the posts from people stating.

"I've owned 5 brand X guns and they were all junk"

How bright is this person? After buying two piece of junk brand X guns, didn't it occur to them that brand X were not good guns? Why did they keep on buying them?
Old January 18, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1346
spider 69

Tec-9. Just screams "mall ninja" at me.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1347
Bobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcooper View Post
Anything made by WINCHESTER
Think you're the only person to say that, after over 1300 widely-varied responses.

Mind if I ask why?

Edit: I searched the thread and looked at every single post with the word Winchester in it. Three people (and that includes you) say they'll never buy any Winchester product. I'm still curious why.

(The first other person)
(The second other person)
Old January 19, 2012, 01:09 AM   #1348
Mr transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobson View Post
Think you're the only person to say that, after over 1300 widely-varied responses.

Mind if I ask why?

Edit: I searched the thread and looked at every single post with the word Winchester in it. Three people (and that includes you) say they'll never buy any Winchester product. I'm still curious why.

(The first other person)
(The second other person)
I am a Hill Billy in the middle of nowhere and I know that answer even before the internet came. When the Winchester arms brand was sold to US repeating arms in 64, quality died with the old company.

If you have an old pre 64 win then you kept it. People never really liked the post 64 stuff. They work(most of the time) but just don’t feel or act right, if you know what I mean.

They shifted production to browning in 2006, but I have never personally used any post 2006 Winchester products, so I don’t really have anything to base an opinion.

The model 70 is going to be made by FN (the parent company) it’s self.

Last edited by Mr transformer; January 19, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old January 19, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1349
maskedman504

I will never buy:

a Derringer
a Hakim
a polymer framed pistol
a single shot break action shotgun'
SAO revolvers

The rest is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr transformer
so I don’t really have anything to base an opinion.
Heck of an argument...
Old January 19, 2012, 02:22 AM   #1350
Bobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr transformer View Post
When the Winchester arms brand was sold to US repeating arms in 64, quality died with the old company.
. . . .
They shifted production to browning in 2006 . . . The model 70 is going to be made by FN.
Of course I've heard the phrases "pre-64" and "post-64" in reference to Winchester rifles, but I never knew the significance behind 1964 until now. Thanks for the lesson

Maybe quality was reborn with the new, new company lol. I'm a stickler for quality and researching products before I buy, and I chose a Model 70 for my first rifle because they're the only company I could find who's sub-thousand-dollar rifles have zero consistent QC complaints. I know there are great rifles available for less money, but FNH-manufactured M70s seem to have a superb record with owners.

Last edited by Bobson; January 19, 2012 at 02:29 AM.