Quantcast
Be on the lookout for stolen guns - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 19, 2012, 11:06 PM   #51
CZguy

Quote:
BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move
Actually with a good appliance dolly and two people it's pretty easy to move a gun safe.

"Directions to heaven. Turn right, and go straight."
Old February 28, 2012, 09:43 PM   #52
TenRingGuns.com

Wow, that sucks.

Hope he has serials and photos of each.
Info@TenRingGuns.com
Old March 1, 2012, 10:27 PM   #53
Patriot1/3

"Cheap Wal-Mart kind"!!!!
Mine is bolted to the floor. Can't believe people do this,I fully understand funds are tight for all of us but. In order to try to defeat the enemy-criminals. You have to spend money in order to keep your tools safe.
Old March 3, 2012, 05:29 PM   #54
gatorjames85

Quote:
Quote:
BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move

Actually with a good appliance dolly and two people it's pretty easy to move a gun safe.
I'm 5'6" and 140lbs and my wife is 5'5" and svelte. We moved our 800 lb gun safe into our house (with an appliance dolly). Someone with above average strength could probably move a 600 lb safe on their own (with an appliance dolly).
Old March 3, 2012, 06:24 PM   #55
CZguy

Quote:
I'm 5'6" and 140lbs and my wife is 5'5" and svelte. We moved our 800 lb gun safe into our house (with an appliance dolly). Someone with above average strength could probably move a 600 lb safe on their own (with an appliance dolly).
I can move mine (600 lbs) by myself, but I would do a bunch of damage to the house.

I guess that most burglars aren't too worried about that though.

Bottom line it's a really good idea to bolt your safe down. Anything that will slow a thief down is in your favor.

Last edited by CZguy; March 3, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 03:35 PM   #56
Patriot1/3

Here's another thought,set traps for the un-friendlies.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:21 PM   #57
gatorjames85

Quote:
set traps for the un-friendlies
This can get you in hot water, even in a Castle Doctrine state like Florida. I would advise against setting traps. You could be convicted of murder, false imprisonment etc. (depending on the nature of the trap). It is easier to replace guns than to defend against criminal charges or a lawsuit.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:23 PM   #58
XxBulletBendeRXx

The Dummy safe. Imo, is the Best idea for protecting your valuables .. throw in a cheap nagant revolver or maybe a highpoint pistol, a mosin rifle and your set for thieves of all shapes, sizes, including the ones Bearing badges. The real valuables firearms and other stuff keep in a SECURE secret location...
Old March 6, 2012, 04:01 PM   #59
CZguy

Quote:
The real valuables firearms and other stuff keep in a SECURE secret location...
Only know to the wearer of a super secrete spy ring.

Actually I don't see why that wouldn't work. I carry a dummy wallet when I go to a big city.

Old March 12, 2012, 08:08 PM   #60
Ghost809

hello people, iam new here and i would like to ask a question about the gas pressure load of a 12 gauge shotgun shell, if someone can lead me to where i can ask or if he know the answer i will appreciate that, and i hope i didnt bother you
Old March 13, 2012, 08:19 PM   #61
Paris

Hey ghost, where do I get my free ipod?
Old March 21, 2012, 07:32 PM   #62
webfox

I sell guns and safes. Bolt the safe to the floor and put it on the left hand wall so there is no leverage. Don't show your friends where your safe is, and don't let employees or workmen into your house unattended.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:56 AM   #63
EMNofSeattle

I live just outside PO, i'll keep a look out at all the used gun haunts and provide the list to the local gunshops in case he takes them there to sell if you want

The police have been notified of the theft right? they have model and serials? that way if the guy is arrested with one of uses one in a crime then they can find the true owner

Gene Pool Posted: Use at own risk, no life guard on duty
Old March 23, 2012, 01:58 AM   #64
EMNofSeattle

in my state that would be a criminal conviction easy. and we're actually pretty friendly self-defense state

Gene Pool Posted: Use at own risk, no life guard on duty
Old March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #65
Gtimothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtimothy View Post
I would love to be able to bolt my safe to the floor but I am a renter. I don't think my land lord would understand me boring holes into the slab through his carpet to accomplish it. I have very limited options for locating it as well. Anyone have suggestions on making it less of a target? Anything done would have to be easily and cheaply repairable. BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move. I also have a monitored alarm system so any thieves would have to be quick!
I've read the posts that say 600 lbs is not insurmountable for determined thieves and I agree. What nobody has addressed is the fact that as a renter, and I'm sure there are more and more of us out there, what options do I have for securing a safe so that someone can't just cart it off? Anyone????
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -Ronald Reagan
Old March 25, 2012, 01:43 PM   #66
Powderman

No, 600 lb. is not an impossible problem, but it IS a deterrent to 99% of the thieves out there. A thief wants an easy mark, and a safe is NOT it. And I mean a real safe, with bolts throughout or sturdy construction.

Place your safes with care...the garage is NOT a good place for one. Why provide someone with a nice wide door to wheel the thing out of?

What a 600 lb. safe will to, is that it will slow the thief down. They don't want to spend all day in your home--more chance of getting caught. They want to be in and out quickly. Busting a safe makes noise, and it's a strange noise--one that will make the neighbors stick their heads out of the windows. Not good.

One final note--an excellent companion to your safe is a good alarm system and monitoring system. I use ADT, and I have a story...

Me, my wife and dog decided to drive to Montana once. We like the St. Regis area--it's just gorgeous! But, I digress...

At about 1:00 AM, my cell phone rings. It was the alarm company--and they wanted to know if I was at my house. I said no--I was in Montana. They said that a motion detector had been tripped, and that they were dispatching police.

I found out later that it had been a plant that had moved due to temperature change--when that leaf moved, it triggered the motion detector.

Get a good alarm system, record your serial numbers, and use a REAL safe.
Old March 25, 2012, 02:46 PM   #67
Gtimothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderman View Post
One final note--an excellent companion to your safe is a good alarm system and monitoring system.
Get a good alarm system, record your serial numbers, and use a REAL safe.
I have my alarm system through Guardian. All of my windows and doors are monitored and I know for a fact that they work! I accidentally set the alarm off and the company was calling me before I could enter the code into the panel...less than 15 seconds! I was impressed to say the least! I also set my alarm to "STAY" so if someone opens the door or window, the alarm goes off immediately, no delay! I can arm/disarm with my phone or the key fob.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -Ronald Reagan
Old March 26, 2012, 04:47 PM   #68
Highgate

In the UK I must have a gun cabinet, bolted to a stone/brick/cement wall and floor. Luckily 99% of UK houses are brick built.

No cabinet, no licence!

Once the guns are bought they must be in the cabinet at ALL times, if not in use, or being cleaned etc.

If I receive a spot check from the police and any of the guns is under my bed or in the living room ... bye-bye licence and guns.

If I tell ANYONE where the keys for the cabinet are .. including my wife! ... then bye-bye licence and guns.

This also includes telling the police in casual conversation : yes, bye-bye licence and guns.

Guns in the UK are for outside field sports NOT for home defence.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:44 PM   #69
CZguy

Highgate,

Thanks for posting that. We in the US need to be aware of how easily our rights can be lost, or it will happen to us too.

Old March 31, 2012, 01:33 AM   #70
fallout mike
Contributing Member

Good alarm systems DO NOT go off from a plant moving. DATED motion detectors do this. You don't want plants and balloons and such creating false alarms.
Old March 31, 2012, 01:40 AM   #71
fallout mike
Contributing Member

All my dads guns were stolen once too. They never turned up. We had a mac daddy alarm system in his house but they forgot to turn it on when they left. That's been a few years. Now you just pull your security system up on your smart phone of choice and remotely arm it. That would have came in handy then bc they remembered it wasn't on but were out of town.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:47 PM   #72
mesinge2

Please everyone BOLO for a G26 with SN#KCH218. Stolen from vehicle in Spring Hill, FL.

Between Tampa and Brooksville (Central FL)
Old April 25, 2012, 02:25 AM   #73
dubya450

What a shame... there isn't much that burns my butt as much as someone stealing another mans hard earned possessions.
Old April 29, 2012, 04:01 PM   #74
lionking

Some are saying they won't show up at a pawn shop but that is where a lot of my stuff went when I got burglarized in 2009. While the shops and cops have a system for checking items it isn't a full proof system.

Distraught mainly over my stolen guitars, I went looking at various pawn shops and a month later I spotted one of my stratocasters in a shop and it broke open the case. The guy used his license to pawn them being the moron he is and after that the cops were able to see what other shops he pawned at which led to me recovering 3 of the 6 rifles plus other stuff.

It was I taking the initiative that made this happen otherwise the cops would have probably never tracked the down despite the system.

The rifles that were stolen were mainly "cheaper" rifles like Mosin and Carcano and a Savage 110 that I kept in a closet not in a safe. But I have a safe, and even though they tried they couldn't get in which saved my azz for other stuff. I think that they taking time to carry out those easy pickings made them give less time trying to crack the safe or search deeper in the house which at the time I had one of my more favorite guitars under the bed which they didn't get lol.

This was not random, someone knew I had these things and I suspect it was either workers remodeling my house or a ex-girlfriend that ended badly that passed the word but the guy caught never would give up who else as involved or how.

Not many houses have it where you can "hide" a safe but like mine, at least putting them in a discrete location is advisable although when someone goes through your house they will probably find it but being out of sight from the main doors at least is a good thing to do.

Also, back then I didn't have a monitored alarm, but now I do and a couple false alarms have shown me it works and time is limited for anyone breaking in. Well worth getting. The story mentioned that a dog did nothing to stop those burglars which sounds like the dog knew those people.

BTW, in the state of Florida you have to buy back your own stolen goods from the pawn shop for the price the pawn shop paid out which is a insult but the cops say it is so the pawn shops will buy the stuff which gives a better chance at discovering stolen goods.

Last edited by lionking; April 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:01 PM   #75
houlainol

Very few stolen guns ever show up. My guess is all the guns were traded to local drug dealers within a few hours of the burglary. If you guys knew the street value for stolen items you would be shocked. Example: $500+ tv's are worth about one roxy (oxycodone) on the street.

A "fordy" is worth two pills. BTW the street value SIG, Colt, Glock is the same as a Lorcin, Hipoint, or jennings.