Quantcast
SCAM alert- gunlistings.org - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 17, 2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Motega

SCAM alert- gunlistings.org

This guy took photos from a current gunbroker auction :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=291389380

and then created a fake listing at http://www.gunlistings.org/colorado-...s__.357_magnum

I contacted the person and they sent me a fake military ID and asked me to send a $1200 money order to

NAME: DANIELLE GAMACHE
ADDRESS: 302 S.RUSSELL St. Apt #3
CITY: AVA
STATE: ILLINOIS
ZIPCODE: 62907

and called my prepaid cell with a number that came up gave the phone number : 314-338-4617. He called my cell phone with that phone number so apparently it is a working number, I'm sure a prepaid cell impossible to track.

I called the county sheriff and the deputy I spoke with said they don't have the manpower to pursue it.
I asked the guy to take a photo of himself holding up his phone number and I would run right out to my bank that is open on Sunday and get a money order, hopefully his greed will overcome his common sense and I will be able to post a photo of this thief.

Be on the lookout for anyone using any combination of these credentials.Whatever you do though, don't let your sense of decency or justice prompt you to call that cell phone at all hours of the night, that wouldn't be very nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg military ID Gamache.jpg (57.0 KB, 1830 views)
Old June 17, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Salmoneye

Love it!

Keep up the good work!
Old June 17, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
hjh45acp

Very good work. I am glad you followed up almost got burned once my self.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
rcmodel

Did you report him to Gunbroker and Gunlistings?

And maybe the Department of the Army and Homeland Security.

Using a fake military ID is real serious business anymore!!

Postol inspectors might have an interest too since he wants you to mail him a check.

Also, look at the guys other auction listings.
http://www.gunlistings.org/user-view.php?emailid=19932

He lives all over the country!

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; June 17, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
jscott

Your local sheriff's office may not have the manpower but Army CID (Criminal Investigations Division) probably will. They do have the capacity and authority, as well as a strong interest, to go after the perp whether civilian or military based upon his use of the purported military ID.

Either call the Army post nearest you or try these:

http://www.cid.army.mil/units_conus.html

It is a listing of all CID commands nationwide.
YouTube
Old June 17, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Sig Bill

I seen that before but I don't remember where from. It's the same scam (same name and pic) and had been reported but I'm surprised it's going again.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
monet61

I'm really glad that you guys know how to spot these dirtbags and inform us.
Most of us, I'm sure, don't think of scams when we see something that seems to be legit.
Anyhow, thanks.
Old June 17, 2012, 02:37 PM   #8
rcmodel

I also noticed on Gunlistings.org there is no way to view the sellers feedback from previous sales.

I would avoid an auction site that doesn't show seller feedback ratings like the plague!!!

rc
Old June 17, 2012, 02:40 PM   #9
cpt-t

SCAM

Motega: I can`t agree more on calling the CID. The Cid has helped me many times and they have the resources to presue this matter at a different level than local or state lawenforcement. I will be very surprised if they will not help you. The CID has helped me many times and there many talents are just outstanding. Just call your nearest ARMY POST and ask to speak to them. GOOD LUCK TO YOU: ken
Old June 17, 2012, 02:42 PM   #10
paintballdude902

it is now illegal to photo copy a military id. the layout is completely wrong.....

forward it to the fbi

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 17, 2012, 02:49 PM   #11
steveno

I know my military ID didn't have "Geneva Convention Identification" on it. unless that is something new that would have been the first thing that I noticed. the fact that it had a woman's name for what looks like a guy unless it is pronounced different.
Old June 17, 2012, 03:25 PM   #12
Jorg Nysgerrig

Quote:
I know my military ID didn't have "Geneva Convention Identification" on it.
That seems strange My old laminated active duty and reserve cards from over 20 years ago had that on it in the border on the bottom and several .mil sites show several samples of the newer cards with the same thing as the picture above has (save they have "Conventions" instead of "Convention"):

https://ia.signal.army.mil/IAF/IASOLesson15.asp
http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/201...-04-04-090414/
https://secureweb2.hqda.pentagon.mil/mpd/Default.aspx
http://www.doncio.navy.mil/chips/Art...s.aspx?ID=3381
http://www.drum.army.mil/mountaineer...e.aspx?ID=5253

And some pictures of the older style ones:
http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/
http://bsidneysmith.com/images/self/military%20id.jpg

Looking at some old ones online, it looks like they added it to DD Form 2A (the ID card) sometime between the form revisted 1959 (the ones that didn't have it) and the one revised in 1979.

Maybe they removed it for awhile?
Old June 17, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
Motega

I am going to follow up as suggested with CID... unfortunately for this guy I just had back surgery and have all the time in the world to track him down. I asked for the photo of him holding his phone number and he said he wasn't at home "so I had my wife do it". This is going to the sheriff in the AM and I will start the ball rolling with other authorities. It is possible this is in fact the scammer, or it could be a naive (or not so innocent) friend. Hopefully I'll get another photo out of him and maybe the local sheriff can put the 2 faces together somehow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulletsproof scam.jpg (6.8 KB, 820 views)
Old June 17, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
steveno

I was got out of the air force in 1973 so I guess things have changed. there was no such things as a bar code on them
Old June 17, 2012, 04:03 PM   #15
sgtt2786

The ID card says he is a Sergeant which is E-5 pay grade not OF3 ??? If that's a picture of his wife, he is already being punished!! LOL Now she is involved in the criminal activity as well, oh well keep us advised and thank you.
John
Old June 17, 2012, 04:06 PM   #16
Snowdog

Wow, this is interesting. Keep us apprised!

Preserving your rights is infinitely easier than regaining them once annulled.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Jorg Nysgerrig

Quote:
I was got out of the air force in 1973 so I guess things have changed. there was no such things as a bar code on them
That would explain it. My guess is that they must have updated it in 1979 to add that then. It would made sense they didn't update the form from 1959 until 1979. I'm not sure when they added the barcode and all the other features
Old June 17, 2012, 04:14 PM   #18
rcmodel

Quote:
The ID card says he is a Sergeant which is E-5 pay grade not OF3 ???
I noticed that too.

OF3 is the NATO equivalent of an Army Captain (Pay grade O-3 or OE-3).

rc
Old June 17, 2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Robert

I am going to sticky this thread for the time being so we can all keep track of developments. Good on ya for busting this guy!

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old June 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #20
Motega

it really "Grinds my gears" (to steal an expression from Peter Griffin) that he emailed about a half dozen other photos showing the same soldier he is pretending to be. On base, etc. If you Google "fake military ID" the same person is shown in a bunch of photos. It's especially shameful that someone is using the likeness of a man in our military to commit these acts of fraud. I don't want to upload the other photos to further spread his face around the internet. Gunlistings has blocked his IP and address and he didn't respond to my second request for a photo of himself but I'll try again to get him to send another photo.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:52 PM   #21
Sig Bill

Y'all are pointing out inconsistencies that was reported before so it's the same scam. When you mentioned gunlistings then I remembered where it came from, this is it.

Good goings guys but I don't understand why he wasn't busted already. They said they were going to get him. Turned out he's still scamming but a pic of his wife(?) with the phone no is a new one.
Old June 17, 2012, 09:33 PM   #22
TomADC

My current I'd card has a bar code of some sort on the back it's one of the things they look at when I go on base.
But unless things have changed a bunch that Geneva card isn't used as id.
Old June 18, 2012, 12:04 AM   #23
scrat

If you look really closely at his picture it seems like his left arm is sticking out like he is holding a camera to take the picture
Old June 18, 2012, 12:24 AM   #24
happygeek

This guy is terrible at fake IDs, luckily for the people he's trying to scam. I see at least 6 things wrong with his ID right off the bat. The big tip offs are the rank/pay grade mismatch and the issue date vs the expiration date (a real ID isn't good for anywhere near the 9 years on his).

There's other differences with the newer IDs I won't bother mentioning.

Just for the lulz, ask him to send you a DA31 with his digital signature on it.

Last edited by happygeek; June 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old June 18, 2012, 12:38 AM   #25
7.62 Nato

Mind if I repost this on another board?

You can lead a liberal to the truth, but you can't make them THINK !