Quantcast
FFL Types or, "No you don't have to "have a class 3" to buy a machinegun/sbr/etc.". - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > NFA Firearms and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 25, 2012, 12:05 PM   #26
MenaceMan47

Class 3

I've had to educate sooooo many people in this subject. Sooooo many people I've met ask (or say) whether you need a license just to own a machine gun. I keep telling them it's the same process as owning any other NFA item (LEO sigs, fingerprints, tax stamp, etc.). Yet, they just keep coming out of the woodwork.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:26 PM   #27
suppressedthunder

I used 199trust.com to create my trust documents when I bought my SBR. The Docs were awesome and they were quickly emailed to me. Can't beat the price either, an attorney in my hometown was going to charge me $450 which is outrageous imo.

Actually I am looking forward to buying a can for the SBR and I will throw that in the trust too.

A buddy of mine used guntrustlawyer.com to buy a trust and said his cost like $350. He was pissed when I told him what I paid for mine, lol that's what he gets for not doing his research
Old February 9, 2013, 11:01 AM   #28
Paradigm

Where are the exceptions?

"http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/"

This is from the ATF website. From the looks of this, the regs don't allow any FFL items in WI, period. I know this is not the case, but where are the exceptions for FFL tax stamps, class 2 licenses, ect in this document?
Old February 9, 2013, 01:13 PM   #29
Aaron Baker

According to my research, Wisconsin allows all Title II firearms, except that machine guns are only allowed for scientific purposes (whatever that means).

I'm not sure what we were supposed to see in that link. It's just a list of ATF forms and publications. Where does it say anything about Wisconsin? The ATF doesn't regulate which states can have what. As far as the feds are concerned, you're welcome to have it all. It's the states that restrict certain types of NFA firearms.

I think you haven't gotten the terminology down yet. Read this thread again: FFL is a federal firearms licensee, or firearms dealer. Class 2 is a type of special occupational tax that an FFL can have if he wants to make and sell Title II firearms.

Title II firearms are silencers, machine guns, SBSs, SBRs, destructive devices and Any Other Weapons.

Normal everyday citizens apply for a single tax stamp for each Title II firearms he wants to own. There is not special licensing involved--just an application for a tax stamp. After a 6-month average wait, if he can legally buy a firearm, he'll be approved for the tax stamp and can take possession of the Title II firearm.

Aaron
Old February 9, 2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Paradigm

Exceptions, Cont

Thanks for the info Mr. Baker, and you are correct, I messed up the terminology. Here is a more specific link. http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...ion/index.html
This is the same site from the other link, just one click further. On the right there is a list of states. I looked at WI, my home state, and read the ATF's regs concerning title 2/NFA items. The reg states that these are prohibited, and I can't find the section that allows for CLEO/tax stamp/fingerprint/ect.