Quantcast
Be on the lookout for stolen guns - Page 4 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 19, 2012, 01:26 PM   #76
DcHoll

Hello CelticAmory,
The Local News stated Yesterday I believe, stated they broke up a
major burglary ring and the Police recovered alot of guns. You may want to check there
and see if they have the guns you listed. Hope this helps,,,,Doc
Old June 9, 2012, 06:45 PM   #77
Mr.

crazy, I am from Bremerton myself. whole area is going to hell
Old July 4, 2012, 03:29 PM   #78
PT92

Safe Can't Solve Stupidity...

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/S...5.html?ref=825
Old July 12, 2012, 06:02 PM   #79
soonerfan85

I have about 400lbs of iron weights in the bottom of my safe that were strangly enough just sitting around unused. If anyone can move my safe with all the ammo and added weights and get it our my front door without killing themselves then I ain't gonna stand in their way. Guns can be replaced. A hernia lasts a lifetime.

BTW, was visiting with a deputy sheriff at recent drug task force gun auction and he told me most of the guns at the auction had been siezed from drug dealers that'd received them as payment for drugs. Said they busted one lady and siezed more than 20 top end Browning and Benelli shotguns. Busted her again 6 moths later and siezed more top end firearms. Either the druggies around here have cash to burn on high end firearms or no one reported these guns as stolen.
Old July 12, 2012, 11:11 PM   #80
CZguy

Quote:
I have about 400lbs of iron weights in the bottom of my safe that were strangly enough just sitting around unused. If anyone can move my safe with all the ammo and added weights and get it our my front door without killing themselves then I ain't gonna stand in their way. Guns can be replaced. A hernia lasts a lifetime.
Just a thought, but with a good moving dolly that extra 400 pounds wouldn't be impossible to manage. Bolting them down is a good method.

"Directions to heaven. Turn right, and go straight."
Old July 30, 2012, 11:10 AM   #81
gym

I have seen guys move thousand pounders with the right equiptment, rollers and dollys, he's right about securing it to the floor
Old July 30, 2012, 11:17 AM   #82
mesinge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym View Post
I have seen guys move thousand pounders with the right equiptment, rollers and dollys, he's right about securing it to the floor
Not from the second floor with two German Shepherds and a St. Bernard chewing on them.
Old July 30, 2012, 11:30 AM   #83
PT92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
Not from the second floor with two German Shepherds and a St. Bernard chewing on them.
Definitely additional defensive measures are great and make life much more difficult for the invader/burglar. But honestly, the dogs (as much as I love them and it pains me to say) can be taken out quickly leaving the next layer (multiple floors) to conqueror. If they want it bad enough, they will scout out a methodical plan along the lines of a bank heist (my Dad was a cop and told me some stories about safes of all sorts not just pertaining to weapons). My experience has been that the only real way to 'best' avoid a robbery is by someone being constantly present (includes an observant/reliable neighbor and a wireless alarm system). A house devoid of a human presence will always be potential prey...

-Cheers
Old July 31, 2012, 03:34 PM   #84
Yelovitz_503

I'm just across the river down in OR, but a whole lot of crime makes its way up and down I-5. I'll check some pawn shops with a printout of the list but don't hold your breath.

There's plenty of places these could end up where nobody would care if they're stolen (gangs, other criminal groups). This is a good cautionary tale reminding everyone to keep an up-to-date list of their guns, specs, and serial #s. I may go update mine while I'm printing this list.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:59 PM   #85
jp3

I'd call Eric Holder
Old August 2, 2012, 06:14 PM   #86
foghornl

A crew COULD get my safe out, but it will take a while...It is bolted to 2 walls, as well as floor and expoxied in place.

then, they still gotta get it up the basement steps, with a very narrow landing and a 90* turn on that landing.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:29 AM   #87
CZguy

Foghorn,

Could you describe the epoxying in place. I'm not familiar with that.

Old August 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #88
JM Browning

No Fed Data Base

I would gladly pay a small fee on my next firearms purchase if it will fund a stolen gun national data base. Info only given by law enforcement when filling out their crime report.

I guess I need to bolt down my safe. One bolt should do if bolted to a concrete foundation. I'm kinda lazy.
Old August 17, 2012, 11:45 PM   #89
CZguy

Quote:
I guess I need to bolt down my safe. One bolt should do if bolted to a concrete foundation. I'm kinda lazy.
That's OK.......the next time you have guns in the safe I'll bet you will have it bolted to everything in sight.

Old August 17, 2012, 11:51 PM   #90
PT92

Weight

The bolting down seems to be mandatory but I know some people who don't own the property or live under other circumstances that will not allow for such. One thing that can be done (again no substitute for securing unit to earth) is to pack the safe with K's rounds of ammo as it will make it almost impossible to move absent serious labor (which albeit can be done but nevertheless makes it exponentially more difficult).
Old August 19, 2012, 10:22 PM   #91
foghornl

CZGuy:

Been off the forum for a few days. When I was ready to place the safe, I set it in place, marked the holes for bolsts, moved safe (empty, of course), drilled holes.

Had a gallon of 2-part "Concrete Repair Expoxy". Mixed it up, applied to floor and the walls in the corner where safe was being placed, as well as the bolt holes got filled with expoxy. Moved safe into place, added bolts, and let it dry.

The safe COULD be taken out, but not without taking a chunk of floor and walls with it.
Old August 19, 2012, 10:45 PM   #92
CZguy

foghorn,

That is a really good idea, thanks for sharing it. I know that any safe can be stolen, but I want to make it as difficult as possible.

Old September 27, 2012, 03:23 PM   #93
General Zod

Sadly, there is another list of stolen guns to look out for in the Austin/San Antonio, TX area. My father's home was burglarized this past Sunday. To make things worse, we have no serial numbers - there is a list, but it can't be found.

Here's what was lost, from memory, including identifying marks.

Remington sporter 12 ga. pump-action shotgun with dark wood stock/grip. No real identifying marks.

Winchester model 1892 .30-30 with a modern hunting scope on an aftermarket custom mount. I can't remember the model or manufacturer of scope. Bushnell or Tasco probably. Custom scope mount is attached with screws to the left side of the receiver.

Mossberg .410 pump-action shotgun with wood stocks/grip. No real identifying marks on this one.

Winchester model 74 .22 cal semi-auto rifle with dark red walnut stock- some slight custom shaping has been done on the stock.

M-1 Carbine, .30 cal, WWII vintage with "GENERAL MOTORS" manufacturer's stamp on the barrel, with 10 round and 30 round magazines.

"Snake Charmer" .410 single shot pistol-grip shotgun with a broken trigger guard. This is the original Snake Charmer, not the current re-issued model. Natural metal finish with black plastic pistol grip/short stock.

Antique (100+ year old) Mossberg 12 ga. single shot shotgun - well kept, but obviously ancient. Has not been fired in at least 40 years.

PISTOLS - - - - -

Llama model III-A.380 ACP semi-auto pistol with holster and spare magazine. Small spot of rust on the right side of the trigger - haven't had the opportunity to have that sanded and refinished. Missed a fingerprint once while I was cleaning it for him.

Colt .38 Special, 3" barrel with holster. Third generation Detective Special, short barrel, shrouded ejector pin, wood grips with Colt badges. Front post sight has a spot of white liquid paper on it for visibility.

Charter Arms Explorer II .22 Automatic pistol with scope and two magazines. Blued, not stainless. Rear sight on pistol is damaged.

Two matched Tanfoglio .25 ACP automatic pocket pistols with spare magazines, one with a storage case.

Hi Standard Sentinel R-101 9-round .22LR revolver w/3" barrel. Made in 1958. Also has a spot of liquid paper on the front sight.

Replica Colt Navy model 1849 cap-and-ball revolver with unfinished wood grips. Kit gun.

Replica percussion cap musket with light honey-colored wood stock and a pair of matching percussion cap dueling pistols with honey-colored wood grips. Early 19th century style.

I'm hoping if one of these is spotted in a pawn shop (it'll be a couple of weeks before any that are pawned might be made available in the shops) there will be one or two others with it to make a positive ID more likely. At least that's the hope...

Also missing are a Framus classical guitar from the early '50s and a Harmony H-92 archtop electric hollow body guitar with "starburst" finish from the late '50s, for what it's worth.

Yes, they stole his guns and they stole his guitars. There's a country song in there...but we'd rather just have dad's property back.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:15 AM   #94
LuvMyGuns

Does the home owners insurance cover the stolen guns? Mine are all registered with the manufacturer. This would be my first go to - my second I would pick up a mossberg 18inch barrel and try street shopping for my guns back but i aint payng with money i'm paying with buckshot effem they pulled a gun on me
Remington 700 .308, Savage 110GXP3 30-06, Remington Genesis 50 cal ML, Savage 64F, Remington 597, Ruger 10/22, Stoeger M3500, Smith & Wesson 1020, Iticha M66 12ga, New england Firearms Pardner 20ga, Mossberg 500 12ga....... they make me happy
Old November 5, 2012, 03:26 AM   #95
Elmer

I have several of the same guns.

Without serial numbers, there's not much you can do.

Word to the wise. Write them down.

An by the way, I'd love to see the carbine with "General Motors" stamped on it.....
Old November 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #96
alsaqr

Quote:
Without serial numbers, there's not much you can do.

Word to the wise. Write them down.
Bingo:

Mine are in an Excel database with backups and printouts.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:48 PM   #97
CWL

Write down your serial numbers and email them to yourself. Even better if you include pictures of everything.

This way, you will always be able to pull them up, even if you are away from home, or if your house burned-down, etc. as long as you have internet access.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:51 AM   #98
rugerron67

you can check a guns seral number to see if its stolen

http://www.hotgunz.com/
Old November 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #99
Elmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerron67 View Post
Be aware that's just user submitted serial numbers and won't include the millions of guns in the government's database.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #100
odorf

I was talking to a buddy policeman. he told me the best thing you can do is to take the butt plate off and dab a little minwax polyurethane on the wood
then stick your thumb print in it. let dry. record your serial numbers
they can grind out the serial numbers. but he said 9 out of 10 will not pull the plate . then when the gun is picked up. the proof is there
he also said that unless a body is attached to a bugulary crime scene.
they only take a report.
they do not have the money for anything else