Quantcast
The THR Walker Club - Page 138 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 25, 2012, 03:03 PM   #3426
WillieArk

First post ever about anything.

On Friday the 23rd I bough cased Umberti Walker from DGW. I am overseas at the moment So I will not see my new gun until March. Has anyone bought a "cased"set from DGW? This will be my first BP gun , I thought to myself go big or go home.... Can I join the club?
Old November 25, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3427
DoubleDeuce 1

Where are you at the moment... Maybe you could send a photo copy of your purchase with a photo from Dixie. Or have someone at home open the package and take a photo and send it to you.

I know rules are rules. No photo, not a member. Maybe the head dude, Scrat, could bend the rules for you depending on your circumstances.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3428
WillieArk

I am being tortured in southern Spain,( the women here are really hard to look at) bout' to go East for a few months then back to the USA. I will post a picture as soon as I can...Rules are Rules, don't need to go bending em!
Old November 26, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3429
DoubleDeuce 1

You have my sympathy... If you need any cover while hurting your eyes, let me know.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3430
alienbogey

I'm already a member of the club, but I just got another Walker (of sorts):

Old November 30, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3431
rodwha

That is quite awesome! Can you give a little information on it?

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old November 30, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3432
rodwha

I'm curious about the barrel's length and rifling twist, the overall weight, where the stock was from and how it's attached, and what you load in it with the results. What's going on with the loading lever assembly? Did you do anything with the rear sight?

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old December 1, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3433
alienbogey

I wish I could claim credit for the build but I didn't do it. I'll tell you what I know about the background.

I recently purchased this via Gunbroker from a shop. The original builder was a man who let it go in a trade and supposedly regretted it, then the 2nd owner brought it into the shop on consignment.

I saw it on Gunbroker, was sorely tempted, let it go, then bid on it when it was relisted and got it.

This was a quick cell phone pic before taking it out to the range for the first time. I hope to do more and better ones.

It has an 18" octagonal barrel. The sides of the receiver have been shaped to match the bevel of the barrel. I don't know the rifling. The loading lever is inlet into the forearm and ground/shaped at the front to be retained by a custom retaining latch.

The front sight is dovetailed and the rear sight is a semi-buckhorn with a tiny ghost ring, the whole thing sliding on an inclined ramp for elevation adjustment, and one mounting screw slot is elongated for windage.

The wood appears to be tiger stripe maple and the forearm has a brass cap.

The shoulder stock has a metal but cap and a carved cap on the pistol grip.

It came with the original C&B cylinder as well as the 45 Colt cylinder pictured.

It's my new Walker Carbine and I like it.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:24 AM   #3434
TheBigAR2003

very cool

that is a very cool one of a kind carbine/pistol/whatever
Official THR Walker Club Member #101
Official THR Remmy Club Member #51
Old December 1, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3435
rodwha

I totally missed the rear sight.

What do you feed it when using it in cap n ball mode?

Old December 1, 2012, 01:24 PM   #3436
scrat

so cool does the shoulder stock come off
Old December 1, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3437
iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns

Never seen anything like that, so very jealous!!!

Please consider sharing video of that carbine in action?
Old December 1, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3438
rodwha

"Please consider sharing video of that carbine in action?"

Great idea!

Old December 3, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3439
alienbogey

I have not yet fired it with cap & ball, and but my son took a video of the one time so far that I've had it out to the range with the conversion cylinder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkxB...ature=youtu.be
Old December 3, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3440
DoubleDeuce 1

Alien,
That looked pretty cool. Did you get any debris in your left hand or forearm from being forward of the cylinder during firing?
Old December 4, 2012, 12:52 AM   #3441
alienbogey

I was pretty worried about gasses/debris from the gap, and my first few cylinders I fired wearing the Carhart jacket and leather gloves. I felt nothing, and took them off to fire a few rounds without the protection, gradually moving my left arm closer with each shot.

Finally, as you see, I fired with a normal rifle grip, and again felt nothing.

I was kind of surprised, but watching the video you can see that the only noticeable gas from the gap is going straight up. I'm not sure if that's a Walker characteristic or the smith who converted it did some work to make that happen.

Last edited by alienbogey; December 4, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:31 AM   #3442
DoubleDeuce 1

I did notice the flame going straight up. It sort of jumped right out at me. I think I would tape a couple of 3"x5" cards on either side of the revolver, forward of the cylinder and forcing cone. Have the cards bent out at 90 degrees to the sides of the barrel. Then shoot and see how much debris and gas jet cutting you get.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #3443
iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns

So Cool, thanks for sharing!
Old December 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3444
JohnnyCremains

Just finished this ridiculous project. Walker with a 2 1/2" barrel. I must say it looks pretty nice though

Here's a pic before I finished it next to an 1851 Avenging Angel I made for a guy

Old December 12, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3445
FreddyKruger

you NEED to show a vid or pics of that thing going off!
THR Walker Club - #141
THR Remington 1858 Club - #154
THE Ruger Old Army Club - #118
Old December 13, 2012, 04:25 AM   #3446
Mictlanero

Wow, that snub-nosed Walker is awesome - i was just wondering the other day if anyone had made such a project - nice
Old December 13, 2012, 05:03 AM   #3447
iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns

Want one SO badly! The day I have $$ for something like that I'll surely be sending you a message
Old December 13, 2012, 11:21 PM   #3448
JRs12Valve

New member here! It took a while, but I finally got one!

Old December 14, 2012, 01:49 AM   #3449
alienbogey

So, twaits, you have the shortest-barreled Walker and I have the longest.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3450
missuramoss

Nice one JR!