Quantcast
Questions for a possible FAQ thread - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 21, 2012, 05:48 PM   #26
gpwelding1

how about cleaning.many newbys,and some not so newbys,would benefit and most likely appreciate advice on helping make there weapons function properly and last longer.

Last edited by gpwelding1; March 23, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
GunnerShotz

Cleaning, that's a good one gp!

How about dry firing? Do or don't? Dry fire excercises?
Old June 11, 2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Skribs

On night sights, how about a picture looking down the sights of a gun, in the dark, with a flashlight shining in front of the gun? You really can't see the night sights. Had I known that ahead of time, I might not have gotten them (although I still plan on getting them, so maybe I still would have).

Maybe a warning about which questions tend to get threads locked (i.e. caliber wars).

Be sure to check out Numan on the Kindle Store! If you do not have a kindle, there are free reader apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.
Old June 11, 2012, 02:47 PM   #29
9mmepiphany

Quote:
On night sights, how about a picture looking down the sights of a gun, in the dark, with a flashlight shining in front of the gun? You really can't see the night sights.
I'm working on an animation with different levels of lighting and light coming from various directions to illustrate this point.

Nightsights have a very narrow window fo validity
1. twilight...where you can identify your target, but can't quite see the sights

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old July 6, 2012, 02:54 PM   #30
Skribs

Quote:
1. twilight...where you can identify your target, but can't quite see the sights
And finding the gun in the dark, prior to activating your flashlight (especially if weapon mounted).
And looking totally bravo alpha...

But you're right. Had I discovered this before I bought night sights, I probably wouldn't have gotten them. However, for the second reason I mentioned, I always get them

I look forward to your animation.

Be sure to check out Numan on the Kindle Store! If you do not have a kindle, there are free reader apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Bill from Boomhower, Tex

Would someone please tell me why we have double action in auto-loading handguns today? Some years ago, I was shooting borrowed Colt 1911s with friends, when some one handed me a double action, I can't remember what now, only that it was nichol finished, hell I can't remember, might've been stainless, but anyway it was double-action. Why do we need this feature? Hard to pull the trigger/easy to pull the shot. I was used to double action service revolvers, and long bbl Model 28 Highway Patrolman, my 7 1/2" SuperBlackhawk, and Contender, and enjoyed handloading/hunting, but always in single action mode. Nowadays I'm very interested in auto loaders,military and assault type rifles, yet for years my only experience other than 740/742 deer rifles, a few Marlin/Winchester .22s, a High Standard HD Military, a Colt 1911 in .45acp, and one in .38 Super, my experience has been single action as it applys to serious hunting and casual target shooting/plinking. I'm sorry guys,somebody explain it to me,what pur pose doe double action serve in auto loading pistol? I carry a Colt Agent, and was very interested in this Colt New Agent, the one Parkerized w/cut-down bbl and no sights, then I read where it's double action. If the 1911 was single action all along, why?
Old July 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
el Godfather

How about excluding derogatory or racist remarks and making arguments out of those.

Got H&K?

Learn the basics: Glock 19!
Old August 26, 2012, 06:22 PM   #33
MarstudIII

1911 Series 80 Transfer Bar vs. Series 70 One Piece Firing pin.

As a compliment to my previous question on Colt 1911s, which Series is the best. I've owned two pistols with transfer bars, and not experienced any problems.

I know some traditionalists say the Series 70 is better, and frown upon the transfer bar. Has anyone had any problems with pistols with the transfer bar's operation?
Old August 26, 2012, 06:34 PM   #34
JohnKSa

Quote:
They're also useful when you're using indirect lighting to illuminate a target.

In some of the low-light shooting I've done, I found that a bright light shining through the haze of the discharge smoke was distracting--like using highbeams in the fox.

It was possible to shine the light on the ground in front of the target, illuminating the target with indirect lighting. Because the light isn't shining in the direction you're looking, it cuts out the glare that comes back, but then there isn't enough light on the target to clearly silhouette the sights. Night sights allowed accurate hits in that situation.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:59 AM   #35
winfried

We often hear the term 'short recoil' if we know what is a short recoil weapon, what then is a 'long recoil'?

On springs I would like to see engineering facts and not opinions please.

I know that few people have an idea of kinetic energy and momentum. Why not assemble a questionnaire?

Many pistols have problems and guesswork engineering is applied to figure out the problem. A spread sheet attachment to calculate the impulse generated compared to impulse required to operate a pistol. Then from the initial spring force, final spring force and the slide travel to determine slide velocity at its end. This will indicate why failures to eject happen.
Why not finally introduce system to determine how much force x trigger travel is required for a DA shot for a subsequent SA shot. The higher the number the less likely an AD

Regards

Winfried
Old December 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #36
Dr_2_B

I suppose you may say this doesn't belong in the autoloader subforum, but basic guidelines about trading arms to prevent one from inadvertently/unknowingly breaking a law might be helpful. I realize THR can't get into giving legal advice, but it might be great to list those things that are illegal and that the average Joe may not know (i.e. state lines, etc.).