Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 113 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 16, 2013, 05:52 PM   #2801
Fire_Moose

Nice set ups.

useless signiture

Last edited by Fire_Moose; January 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2802
Cosmoline

This is one I just built on my kitchen floor from scrap lumber. The 2x4's were all pretty badly warped so the end result is slightly off skew, but the top is level and it's extremely strong. I'm shopping around for a new reloading press to install on it. I'm going to rig a drop tube off to the right side. The bench vise is a vintage Columbian that should be up to the task of holding any receiver tight for barrel removal. The last vise I used bent under the pressure. This is the first time I've tried 2x4's as a top. One good thing is if one gets damaged it's easy to remove and replace.

The ice storms and snow preclude any painting or finishing until spring, but I've tacked down a plastic cover to protect it from spills till then. One great thing about building your own is you can customize the height. In my case most all benches are too low and give me a crink in my lower back. This one is about 6" higher than standard counter tops and just the right size for me.

I used bolts so it would be possible to break it down for moving. Otherwise there's no way this sucker would fit through doors. The drawback is you end up with weight bearing on them, and over time they do work loose. But it's not hard to tighten it up again. Another issue that came up is with the bolts on the main joints, the bench is vertically very strong but prone to shifting slightly horizontally when pushed as it rolls a little on the bolts. To prevent this I nailed down cross-pieces in the back and it seems pretty secure now. You could also double up your bolts to prevent this I believe.

Last edited by Cosmoline; January 16, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2803
GT1

I like your ingenuity, Cosmoline. That looks very solid.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2804
LouisianaJoe

Use 2 nuts on the bolt. Tighten 1 to the other to lock the nuts together. Also put a piece of 3/4" MDF on top of the 2X4's for a smooth working surface. I used contact cement to put a piece of Formica on top of the MDF on my workbench.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:03 AM   #2805
dragon813gt

Might as well just copy and paste this from another board.

Finally got everything moved into the garage so it's all in one spot. Not pretty but fully functional.

I made the decision to just clamp down a few tools at a time so I can keep the bench top accessible. It gets used for more than just reloading.

Brought to you by TapaTalk
Old January 17, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2806
Cosmoline

Quote:
I like your ingenuity, Cosmoline. That looks very solid.
Thanks! I can actually stand on it.

Quote:
Use 2 nuts on the bolt. Tighten 1 to the other to lock the nuts together. Also put a piece of 3/4" MDF on top of the 2X4's for a smooth working surface. I used contact cement to put a piece of Formica on top of the MDF on my workbench.
Great ideas!

Since the snow is back this Saturday I'm going to whip out a stout 2x4 shelving unit to hold reloading supplies and bullets. I'm getting some great ideas from this thread.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2807
Catshooter

Cosmo,

Good call on the Columbian. Doubt you'll bend it!

Cat
Old January 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2808
hueyville

As mentioned before been remodeling the reloading room. Fresh paint, epoxy coated the floors, etc. I had to drag everything out and now putting it all back. Only had main benches for reloading, case prep and bullet casting out of commission for a week. Now putting back all the cabinets and shelving. Except fro some of the more current ones that are next to my recliner for entertainment purposes, I have most of the reloading manuals back on the shelf. Actually they all dont fit on the shelf anymore but most do. Don't pay any attention to the shelf under the manuals. That stuff does not, nor ever has existed.

Old January 19, 2013, 04:01 PM   #2809
E.Ring

Here's mine. I had to make it sturdy yet mobile because I move a lot. I can set it up and take it down in under an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloading bench.jpg (47.0 KB, 127 views)
Old January 19, 2013, 04:09 PM   #2810
Fire_Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

2 bags of coke eh?

useless signiture
Old January 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #2811
greybeard57

This is the beginning of mine...

Kinda embarrassing, being a new and all, I don't even have my equipment yet. But I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks when I was told it would be shipped. This is the temporary spot in the basement until I get the spare bedroom ready for it with a much better bench, although the bench is built the same way- 4x4's for the top and legs. As you can see from the bottom of the wall, I can't keep the stuff down here past late winter because the basement leaks and has leaked for 25 years. Can't seem to get it to stop.

Since this picture was taken a few days ago I've put some old plywood on the benchtop and put up shelving over the bench. I'm not one that goes for pretty, but I do appreciate functionality. As long as it works and works right is all I care about. I screwed the bench to the wall on both sides even though it was solid to begin with and I cut the shim plywood under the leg so it's not sticking out anymore. There is a nice 120mm multi-positional (?) pipe jaw/smooth jaw bench vise on the other end too that holds my rifles in any position I want them. It's still a work in progress but seeing these other fine benches has given me some good ideas. And isn't that what it's all about?

Old January 19, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2812
Catshooter

greybeard,

Do not be embaressed to have nothing and just starting out: few can say they started differently. It's how I started. Welcome to the madness! I love it.

Cat
Old January 19, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2813
greybeard57

Thanks Cat! Ya don't mind the contraction do you? Anyway, it'll get here, and hopefully in pieces good enough to assemble and use right away. I've heard that my supplier of choice isn't the best at packaging and shipping.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2814
hueyville

Fire Moose, had to study my own pic to get the joke. The two nondescript white packages are stripper clips for AR's. While you see just that one shelf has plenty o mags, in the event I thought necessary to have more ammo ready to go, 100 stripper clips with magazine adapters makes up for the fact I only have about 40 magazines per AR variant.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2815
OpelBlitz

Nice.

greybeard, at least your reloading bench doesn't have a 80lb printer on it at the moment. Kinda cramps my operations for the time being, but I'm also moving stuff around.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2816
Fire_Moose

Hueyville, quite the impressive stock you got.

useless signiture
Old January 19, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2817
hueyville

Fire Moose, just tip of the iceberg. Started reloading and collecting guns at age 13. When finished college rather than make my way out into the world, I got a job and moved back in with parents for two years. Allowed me to spend almost every dime for those two years on guns and accessories. That was mid 80's when NIB Colt AR-15's were 400 bucks and SKS were 90 with 600 rounds of ammo. Stayed at home till had a stockpile that would be basis for real collection before idea of rent, car payments and groceries ever began.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2818
Ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard57 View Post
Kinda embarrassing, being a new and all, I don't even have my equipment yet. But I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks when I was told it would be shipped. This is the temporary spot in the basement until I get the spare bedroom ready for it with a much better bench, although the bench is built the same way- 4x4's for the top and legs. As you can see from the bottom of the wall, I can't keep the stuff down here past late winter because the basement leaks and has leaked for 25 years. Can't seem to get it to stop.

Since this picture was taken a few days ago I've put some old plywood on the benchtop and put up shelving over the bench. I'm not one that goes for pretty, but I do appreciate functionality. As long as it works and works right is all I care about. I screwed the bench to the wall on both sides even though it was solid to begin with and I cut the shim plywood under the leg so it's not sticking out anymore. There is a nice 120mm multi-positional (?) pipe jaw/smooth jaw bench vise on the other end too that holds my rifles in any position I want them. It's still a work in progress but seeing these other fine benches has given me some good ideas. And isn't that what it's all about?

You're only days away from being there my friend! Give me a call when you receive your stuff. ...you know who this is...

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in the dark.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2819
PhotoBiker

Took a while to get through this thread. Pulled away some great ideas for my final reloading bench/station. The timer switch for the tumbler is a must. Also need to have the bench narrower (too deep now) and taller so I can stand.

Temp Reloading Station by DamnBeavers, on Flickr

When we were moving in (a little over 15 years ago) the previous owner asked if I wanted to keep this bench he made. This bench has served as my woodworking bench for a few years, followed by years of holding crap, gathering dust, and housing thousands of spiders and their webs. About a month ago, I reclaimed this area and set up shop.

I am learning what I really want now, it is good to have a temp setup to start...

And this is my tumbling area.

Tumbling Station by DamnBeavers, on Flickr

It is on the opposite corner of the basement. This is the area I will be building the actual reloading station. I have a bunch of crap to throw out (or find another resting place) before that happens.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2820
cowtownup

Well, I'm ready for my press to come in this week now... Here it is from start to finish...

One question I have is regarding storage of powders and primers and ammo... Do you think they will be okay stored down in the safe below my workbench? This is in a garage. It gets cold out there but there is never any moisture. I'm in North Carolina, so it doesn't get all that cold.. Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated..

Last edited by cowtownup; January 20, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2821
hueyville

You are going to put your eye out with that BB gun... The stain really perked it up.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2822
cowtownup

I'm kinda understocked with a whole pound of powder and 300 primers..

But I got 5000 BB's..

:lol:
Old January 20, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2823
Catshooter

The cold won't hurt your powder or primers. Heat, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be all that good for them. Though plenty have reported that years of being in a hot garage didn't hurt their's, either.

Bench looks good, like the beginings of a good ammunition factory.

Cat
Old January 20, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2824
Jaxondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
I'm kinda understocked with a whole pound of powder and 300 primers..

But I got 5000 BB's..

:lol:
Hang in there, it will come around. Everyone start's out slow. It will speed up, and you will probably have more than you can use.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #2825
gspn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismic Sam View Post
Made it from Unistrut about 25 years ago, and the top is 2 x 12's bolted to the metal.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL
uuuhhhh...I don't see any reloading gear...I just see pictures from the Dillon calendar....