Quantcast
Resources - Page 5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Activism

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 15, 2013, 08:07 AM   #101
GAMALOT

Basically what you just said HSO, Billions of legally owned guns didn't kill anyone yesterday while the criminals with illegal guns were having a field day.

Any politician with a lick of sense already is well aware of this but they have a good crisis at the moment and will not let it go to waste. It is all about Control and very little about guns.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:11 PM   #102
Brent J

SEN. Hagan from NC

also claims she is in favor of sport hunting. She also told me that the UN Small Arms Treaty (or whatever it was called) would never pass the Senate. Now, when it came to a vote, she just happened to be absent that day so, she had no mark in her column for or against it.
“Wouldn’t it be better for the human spirit and for the soul of this Nation to encourage people to accept more responsibility to care for one another, rather than leaving those tasks to paid bureaucrats?” —Ronald Reagan

THE FOUNDATION: JUSTICE
“The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all citizens.” —Thomas Jefferson
Old January 15, 2013, 06:47 PM   #103
Green Lantern

Brent - iiiiinteresting, I called multiple times on that subject and could NEVER get a straight answer from them!

...guess that kinda pokes holes in my theory that they use caller ID to tell people what they think they WANT to hear on a given subject...

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.
Heinrich Himmler

You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time! Wes Clark
Old January 15, 2013, 08:02 PM   #104
1 old 0311-1

The problem we are STILL running into, like 2008, and 2012, is the lazy gun owners who don't vote. These are the first ones that will cry when "EXECUTIVE ORDERS" flush our gun right down the crapper.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:13 PM   #105
miamivicedade

Well done Bartholomew.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:51 PM   #106
OH_Spartan

I know it would be daunting but could we get a list of the house members? I got a very pro rkba response from my rep tiberi.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:04 PM   #107
Red Sky

Good Article - Action Needed From Some

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/15/politi...lls/index.html

Not happy news, but news nonetheless, and there is some hope near the end - and that coming from CNN of all places. Anyone living in states with vulnerable Democratic senators should be blowing up their emails and phones in the coming days. Get anyone else you know who will support us to do the same.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, for that matter) my effort from Texas doesn't matter much as we already have them on our side.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:52 PM   #108
Diamondback6

Chalk Cantwell and Murray (D-WA both) up in the Anti-Second Amendment Bigot column. I don't even waste my effort on those two terrorist-sympathizing oxygen thieves anymore...
(Remember, Patty bin Murray: "Osama builds schools and roads and..." yes, THAT Patty Murray.)

Only left-handers are truly in our right minds...
Old January 17, 2013, 03:39 PM   #109
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

Add Senator Franken to the SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL category:
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...ut-support-for
Old January 17, 2013, 04:45 PM   #110
RetiredUSNChief

Good to know!

Many thanks.

I'm the guy with a cannon, too: http://youtu.be/X6xhYELYVDw
Old January 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #111
gdcpony

Reply from one of my reps.

Well, I think we have one. This is actually only the second reply I have had that actually was even related to my letter. Most of the others have either been a "Thanks for contacting, please stay involved" or some off the wall reply having nothing to do with my letter."

I have begun sending my daughter's essay now as it is a ton more eloquent than my own writing and to let them know how our children feel as well. Better than having them used as pawns the other way.
Quote:
January 15, 2013

Dear George,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to further gun control legislation. As your representative in Congress, I appreciate your input on this important issue.

On December 14, 2012 our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. A gunman stormed Sandy Hook Elementary School and murdered 20 young children and six adult staff members. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the victims and families of those affected. As a father myself, I cannot begin to imagine the pain these families are experiencing.

In response, the President and some members of Congress have called for stricter gun control legislation. Senator Dianne Feinstein has already announced she will introduce a new assault weapons ban in the 113th Congress and President Obama has appointed Vice President Biden to head a task force looking at ideas and legislation to curb gun violence.

While I am deeply saddened by the senseless acts of violence in Connecticut, I do not believe it is appropriate to politicize this heinous incident and use it as a platform to push for new gun control legislation. People choose to own firearms for a variety of reasons and many new gun laws end up adding burdens to law abiding citizens and our 2nd Amendment rights.

We should enforce current laws and work to ensure individuals with mental illness and criminals can't carry out criminal acts against our fellow citizens. Thank you for your input, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. Please continue to keep me informed on the issues that are important to you. For more information on my work in Congress, or to sign up to receive my e-newsletter, please visit the 7th District's website at: http://gibbs.house.gov .

Sincerely,
Signature
Bob Gibbs
Member of Congress

"I ride to feel free
I hunt to be free
I shoot to stay free"
- Me
Old January 20, 2013, 11:08 AM   #112
1911austin

Great response. We need to stand behind leaders who are willing to stand up for us.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:18 PM   #113
PlusP

That is a man who is understands the problem we all face
Old January 20, 2013, 11:32 PM   #114
hso

If you're Senators aren't on the list they're not up for election in 2014 so they are not include because we can't work to have them reelected or against their reelection in this next election cycle.

All 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives will be up for election in 2014.

If you know whether a Representative has a clear position on an AWB please include it.

Our job is to make sure that every politician running for office in 2012 that supports any restriction on firearms, magazines or ammunition during this struggle doesn't have a job in Washington after Nov. 4, 2014. We have to work to remove them from office during the primary, and failing that, during the election.

Even if none of this gets out of committee to a floor vote the people who betrayed their office by supporting it have to go. We must prove that this is truly a third rail issue that destroys political careers so it is another 10 years before they forget the lesson.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; January 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:12 PM   #115
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

Senator Warner of VA is now on-record for supporting magazine bans:
http://www.warner.senate.gov/public/...0-43d31c84f7ea
Old January 22, 2013, 09:23 PM   #116
RetiredUSNChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Senator Warner of VA is now on-record for supporting magazine bans:
http://www.warner.senate.gov/public/...0-43d31c84f7ea
Well...THAT was an interview just chock full of decisive, definative answers to specific questions now, wasn't it?

I'm the guy with a cannon, too: http://youtu.be/X6xhYELYVDw
Old January 23, 2013, 11:52 AM   #117
Ryanxia

Quote:
People choose to own firearms for a variety of reasons and many new gun laws end up adding burdens to law abiding citizens and our 2nd Amendment rights.
That's a good sentence right there. Something maybe to include when writing the rest of our Congress critters.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #118
Ole Humpback

Heres the letter I just sent to my senators & representative in regards to the bill Senator Feinstein intends to introduce tomorrow:

Dear Senator/Representative,

My name is Ole Humpback and I am concerned constituent of yours. I recently was informed that Senator Diane Feinstein intends to introduce a bill in the Senate on Thursday January 25, 2013 in regards to a new version of a so called "assault weapons ban". As an avid outdoorsman and member of both the National Wild Turkey Federation and National Rifle Association, I ask that you oppose this bill.

I have read the proposed ideas for her bill, President Obamas executive orders that are to be considered for the bill, and Govenor Cuomo's recently signed "assault weapons ban" that is being used as a template for Senator Feinstein's bill and find them all to be unconstitutional in regards to the Second Amendment. Also, although I own no firearms which are semi-automatic versions of military firearms, all the firearms I currently own would be considered "assault weapons" if Senator Feinstein's bill, President Obama's proposals, or a Congressionally approved version of Govenor Cuomo's bill is passed. This would turn me, a law abiding citizen who enjoys hunting and competitive shooting sports, into a criminal due to the fact that my hunting & sproting firearms have qualities that are deemed to be what constitutes an "assault weapon" when in fact none of them can even be called an "assault weapon" in even the loosest terms.

Also, for you information, an "assault weapon" is a military weapon that has selective rate of fire capabilities (semi-auto, three round burst, and full auto generally speaking), fires a reduced power cartridge, and is designed mainly for short range combat. These weapons are currently illegal for civilians to own. The firearms that these new bills and proposals seek to ban do not meet this definition for "assault weapon". In fact, these firearms are lawfully bought & used by several thousand people in the US & Indiana every year for competitive shooting events.

With the above said, I again ask that you oppose tomorrow's bill.

Sincerely,

Ole Humpback
Old January 23, 2013, 06:37 PM   #119
B O

Response From Bill Nelson

Apparently the poll we hit on his site didn't matter much to him

"Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

I am a hunter and have always owned guns, and I support the Second Amendment.

But assault weapons such as AK 47s are intended for killing, not hunting.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety, access to mental health services, and confronting a culture that sometimes glorifies violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. And, I support universal background checks so that we can know if person buying a weapon has a criminal record.

I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson"
Old January 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #120
Shear_stress

My preemptive letter to my senators regarding "assault weapons" legislation

With Senator Feinstein unleashing her proposed "assault weapons" legislation tomorrow, I sent a preemptive letter to the senators representing my state. In it, I took a different tack than some folks. Instead of focusing on the 2nd Amendment directly, I decided to appeal to the fact that we really do have the statistics on our side. Time will tell if it makes a damn bit of difference.

Quote:
Dear Senator XXXXXX,

We all were repulsed by last year's tragedies in Newtown, Clackamas, and Aurora and many well-intentioned people have called for new firearms regulations that are "common sense" and "meaningful." However, some of the proposals I have been hearing about are neither. In particular, I am referring to legislation that would further regulate a vaguely defined category of firearms, so-called "assault rifles."

My education in engineering and the life sciences has taught me to look at the data when confronted with in issue. Or, in this context, to ask the question "what is the harm caused by semiautomatic rifles?" Despite the sunset of the 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban, homicide rates in this country have been declining for years according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Report statistics. In addition, referring to Expanded Homicide Data Table 8 (Murder Victims by Weapon 2007-2011), rifles of all kinds have been involved in 2.5-3.1% of homicides. This is at or slightly lower than the rate of use of shotguns and is, in fact, also lower than the rates for blunt objects (4-4.5%) or even hands, fists or feet (5.7-6.2%.) Given that "military style" rifles represent a subset of the rifles included in the data, there is clearly no growing epidemic of their use in murders.

Rifles such as the AR-15 (was has been sold to the public since 1964) have exploded in popularity in the last few decades. Despite depictions to the contrary, military-derived rifles are fully ensconced in the shooting sports mainstream and are central to events such as Three Gun, IPDA and CMP or NRA High Power. The AR-15 in particular is commonly used for small game hunting as well due to its excellent accuracy. It should be noted, however, that the .223 round used by most AR-15 variants is less powerful than the cartridges used by most traditional deer rifles.

Further restrictions on military-style rifles defies common sense. Such laws exploit arbitrary aesthetic standards to regulate firearms that, though they are in common use for sport and defense, simply do not represent a growing or significant threat to the public. Moreover, this focus on military-style firearms as causative agents of violence is not "meaningful" in the sense that it neglects the less politically expedient roots of violence--poverty, lack of educational opportunities, etc.

Consequently, I urge you to do the intellectually honest thing and resist pointless restrictions on certain types of firearms. If we are truly interested in addressing violence in this country we need to have the courage to change the agenda to reflect its true causes.

Best regards,
XXXXXXXX

Last edited by Shear_stress; January 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:33 PM   #121
LevelHead

Very nice - may I use most of it as well?

Typo in the third paragraph - "was has been sold to the public since 1964"
Old January 23, 2013, 10:43 PM   #122
Shear_stress

Quote:
Very nice - may I use most of it as well?
Be my guest! Thanks for catching that typo.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:11 PM   #123
2ifbyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shear_stress View Post
Time will tell if it makes a damn bit of difference.
It makes a major difference for reasons that you may have not contemplated:
1. It improves your cognitive thinking so you can write in a concise, cogent manner.
2. You have exercised your right to have your voice heard and to ensure your representatives know your position on issues that are important to you.
3. You were “in the arena” and not on the sidelines making judgments.
4. It instills pride and self-worth.
Good job. Hopefully, you will serve as a model for others to express their inner voice.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:41 AM   #124
jamesbeat

Beautiful.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:52 AM   #125
Skribs

Two things...

1) Put both Washington senators on the list as SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL. Patty Murray has an F rating from the NRA, and a track record of constantly voting to restrict our rights. Maria Cantwell (I haven't looked up her NRA rating) proudly says she supported the 94 AWB and her email to me included the phrase "I support the second amendment, but..."...with a LOT after the "but".

Both of these senators have been representing us for far too long. Let's get rid of them already.

2) Can you maybe recolor the names, i.e. make pro-gun folk green and anti-gun folk red? Would be even easier to discern who's who.

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm
http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/...un_Control.htm

From S. Cantwell (Murray hasn't responded):

Quote:
Dear Mr. {Redacted},

Thank you for contacting me regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

All Washingtonians – and all Americans – offer our deepest condolences to the families of the 20 children and six school staff members who were killed in this senseless attack. Our thoughts and prayers are with the community of Newtown, as its residents heal from this incomprehensible tragedy.

This horrific attack highlights several issues that must be addressed promptly in order to better protect against such inexplicable violence. We need to get powerful assault weapons off our streets. And we need to strengthen services for the mentally ill and their families.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/

Be sure to check out Numan on the Kindle Store! If you do not have a kindle, there are free reader apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.