Quantcast
Not again.......! Feral Hog Control in East Texas - Page 55 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 18, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1351
Flintknapper

Quote:
Have you had any problems with the gas check coming loose inside the case?

No.

They are crimped on very tightly. When seating the bullet the pressure is against the Gas Check, so as long as it is properly crimped you should have no problem.

Of course, once the powder ignites, the expanding gas contacts the Gas Check pressing it firmly against the bullet base (several thousand pounds of pressure while still in the case). So....not much chance anything will go awry.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1352
JRH6856

Thanks, Flint. I haven't used gas checked bullets but have seen manual warnings not to seat them below the case neck to prevent separation.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1353
Flintknapper

Quote:
Do you think they'd keep that color as they matured or will they darken?
Most of them will darken considerably...but still retain a reddish color, though I've also seen reddish piglets/shoats turn a rather blonde color (actually get lighter).

The striped ones (often reddish/brown) invariably turn dark, but the solid red ones tend to stay red(ish).

You understand, this can be to different degrees.

A few examples:

Old March 18, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1354
Ms_Dragon

Thanks FlintKnapper!

Seeing dead pigs makes me a happy little camper.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1355
bldsmith

The way I have had it explained to me regarding seating depth irt gas check bullets was. They do not recommend seating the gas check below the case neck. On higher pressure rounds, ie 50kpsi+, the pressure could deform the base of the bullet and gas check causing an extreme pressure spike that could be catastrophic. On the 458 SOCOM the pressures do not get nearly high enough. It uses 35k- pressures and the likelihood of deformation of the base very unlikely in rounds at or below the designed pressures. That is why it is so important that you do not see any evidence of high pressure on 458 loads. It takes more than 35k pressure to deform primers and other indicators like cratering etc.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1356
Flintknapper

^^^^^^^^

Go back to reply 1183 as concerns the gas check.

As you alluded to...it is not a concern in the SOCOM (with hardcast bullets and proper usage), but an excellent topic nonetheless.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:08 PM   #1357
bldsmith

yup that's were I read it. Page 48 for those who would like to see it.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1358
Flintknapper

I ran my intended loads through QuickLoad several times and used the pressure curve graphs to predict maximum pressure (including initial shot start) at .330 travel (the amount necessary for the bullet base to enter the neck).

Even with my hottest loads of Lil'Gun it was coming in at under 28,000 psi (not enough to cause the bullet to expand, but on the cusp).

Even though the practice (in this case) is perfectly safe, your point is well taken and more than worthy of mention...since in other applications (high pressure rounds) it is 'possible' to create a problem for yourself.

Good mention Sir!

Flint.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1359
sixgunner455

Man, I thought I was done building uppers for a while. Now, I'm thinking of doing something silly and start collecting parts for a .458. Just because.

If you can't hit a snake at 20 feet with a 12 gauge, you ain't gonna hit a dove, either. -McGunner
Old March 23, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1360
Gunner11

So thats what theyre up to

Just bought a game cam, some of the first photos off it, makes me realize we could have a significant problem beginning . In all counted 17 pigs in a 2 hour photo string, then nothing for the rest of the night. looks like a job for some 00 buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0011.jpg (42.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0014.jpg (42.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0017.jpg (42.5 KB, 127 views)
Old March 23, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1361
Flintknapper

^^^^^^^^^

Gunner, one of the best things about using a game camera (besides letting you see what is out there) is the ability to determine WHEN they are coming through and with what frequency.

Often times... a group of hogs will come through and you won't see them again for a long time. Other times...they decide to stay around for awhile, which affords you an opportunity to pattern them (time wise) and perhaps set up a blind to shoot them from.

Best of luck with your problem Sir and thanks for the pics.

Flint.

Last edited by Flintknapper; March 23, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1362
Twmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner11 View Post
Just bought a game cam, some of the first photos off it, makes me realize we could have a significant problem beginning . In all counted 17 pigs in a 2 hour photo string, then nothing for the rest of the night. looks like a job for some Claymores.
There. I fixed it for ya.

America: Stand and FIGHT!
Support the entire Constitution. Not just the parts you like.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:27 PM   #1363
Ms_Dragon

@Twmaster!

Laughing myself sick here ATM.

Man, I'm liking your style!
Old March 23, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1364
Gunner11

Excellent idea

Twmaster what an excellent idea, now if i can rig then to fire at the same time as the camera that would be something, oh wait someone has probably done that already.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1365
Patocazador

Gunner11: I noticed that all of the pigs were spotted. Is that the norm in NZ?

Bob
Old March 24, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1366
Gunner11

Patocazador, the answer is no, round our place they are mostly spotted but you get the occasional solid colour black or ginger. In other areas solid colours are the norm. Pig hunters often introduce piglets or sows from other areas to "add new blood" which annoys a lot of landowners and kind of hampers efforts to keep bovine Tb under control.
Still the plus side is the Ministry of Ag and fish pays a bounty of $75 a head for pigs when they are conducting a survey.
Paid for a lot of ammo and a new gun last year that way.
Photos are from last years easter hunt and shows the dominant colours round here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic_0408_095.jpg (88.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0408_093.jpg (161.4 KB, 180 views)
Old March 25, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1367
bldsmith

That's what I call a MEAT pole...
Old March 28, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1368
Flintknapper

Need to make time to get down in the woods and take care of these (showed up yesterday).

I don't know how to properly embed this video, but I think you can click on it and see it in my photobucket site. Or if a mod can embed here (or teach me) that would be great.

Last edited by Flintknapper; March 29, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1369
JRH6856

Flint, I hope you are well stocked with ammo.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:41 AM   #1370
Flintknapper

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I keep a few on hand.

And a few more ready to load.

Old March 29, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1371
JRH6856

I know you are good shot but I've read this thread and that doesn't look like near enough.
Old March 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1372
Twmaster

I think this quote fits...

"Bring guns. Lots of guns."

That's some purdy ammo there Flint.

America: Stand and FIGHT!
Support the entire Constitution. Not just the parts you like.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1373
Ms_Dragon

Time to start baiting some traps with that all important corn arrow!
Old March 29, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1374
hrvatska1

This thread is like my dream come true. I love hogs but there are no feral hogs here in Northeast Pennsylvania.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old March 29, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1375
G'dale Mike

A few of my pigs

Down on a lil clearing where i throw corn out. A nice sounder of sows and shoats from last year

Boar thats been dropping by about 8 every night.

A few sows dropped by early this morning

Sow i shot a month ago. My lil jagd terrier bayed her, my bulldog (and the jagd helped) caught her up under a rock ledge up a steep hill and i couldnt get to her legs to pull her out and stick her, so i put the 40 cal xd to her

This is one of the baddest looking boarhogs to come through. He's my "great white whale"" one day, Moby Dick, one day