Quantcast
On Fighting Shotguns.... - Page 18 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 6, 2012, 07:32 PM   #426
rugerron67

I run the original fighting shotgun.
1903 Winchester 1897 12g 20" slam fire baby !
Old November 10, 2012, 07:46 PM   #427
kris7047th

Wrong about that. Some of the top trainers in the Country teach shotgun for defensive shooting and can run them as effectively as an AR15. Google & You Tube Magpul.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:35 PM   #428
oneounceload

RIP Dave, see you on the other side

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old November 27, 2012, 09:12 PM   #429
spotch

As someone who is still reading and researching about buying a first shotgun I think it's interesting that so many people seem to still favor pumps over semi-autos (like, say, a mossberg 930) and that lighter-weight 20 gauges aren't more popular (since a lot of people have said that weight is a real important factor).

Also, Rip Dave

Last edited by spotch; November 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #430
JamieC

I just bought a Remington 870 Express, got it off a friend who needed $. Came with a 28 & 18.5" barrel. Scattergun Technologies extended mag. Had maybe 20 shots through it. Way too long to fit the wife, got a Knoxx GenII recoil absorbing stock, with the adjustments, fits both of us fine. Need to get to the range and shoot it a bit, I've been told shooting 'clays' is a good way to have fun and use the gun, looking for a class for both of us to take. In the meantime it sits unloaded in the closet. She keeps her .38 special on her night stand, my flash light and Sigma on mine.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:41 AM   #431
12gTim

Great post - possibly the best I've read!!

Last edited by 12gTim; January 3, 2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: double post
Old January 3, 2013, 01:49 AM   #432
12gTim

dfariswheel;
Great post; could be the best I've read on the subject. Thank you!
Old January 4, 2013, 03:31 PM   #433
ZVP

Totally helpfull!

I am currentlly in the market for a home defense Shotgin and this string has debated and answered many of my own doubts!
I only saw one Brand suggestion, that being in favor of the 870. The model I am leaning toward! I like wood atocks and I like Remingtons. I want a simple shotgun sans all the gizmos.
I'm after function with a sholder sling and a slip onto the stock 5 round shell carrier. I figgure that pratice will replace a snap on Lazer and that knowing where the shot colum will hit means more. I am leaning toward a 20"bbl though a 18 1/2 would do.
Mossberg offers so many "Kits" that it would be easy to just buy a new plastic stocked gun *I don't likr Plastic)
Chance and looking on the "used" market is sorts exciting!
I want a pump just because I had a pump when I was a kid. They bespeak utter reliaibility to me
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
ZVP

Last edited by ZVP; January 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old February 24, 2013, 03:23 PM   #434
WolfPak

I recommend shooting a Remington, Mossberg and Benelli or any shotgun you are interested in, in a 18.5 or 20" barrel format, prior to buying. Try both pistol grip and standard stocks if you can. This way you find the one that fits you best.

I personally went with Mossberg for the weight, ergonomics of the safety and the slide release. I have a Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights and an ATI Akita stock, which has an adjustable LOP and comb height so I can get a perfect fit.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
Old April 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #435
ZVP

WHen buying the gun you can make mistakes...

Well I bought a Sweet 20 ga Stoger Uplanser combo (just had one barrel tho) for $200 "used". The problem is that the Uplander has 28" bbls and needs to be chopped for easiest handling in the hall.
I couldn't do it! Frankilly the lines and handling quality of the little English stocked Double was just too good a fit for me and I decided to just start over.
Same Hock Shop (super deals!) I found a Montgomery Wards M550AG 12 gauge Pumpgun with a 30" bbl for $100! The "M" in the designation stands for Mossberg! Truthfully the gun is a Mossberg 500/550 made for Wards to sell.
Back to the drawing board.
The Barrel will be cut to 19" or 20" a bead installed.
I bought a Blackhawk shell scabbord for the stock. Depending on the handling qualitys of the finished gun it may/not get used.
I also need to add a recoil pad as it hasn't got one.
That's it plain and simple, no extra goodies to hinder speed.
Oh yea several cases of target loads to get familliar with using the gun as if it grew there!
OK I made a little mistake up front, but gained a very nice field/ play SxS 20ga Shotgun. I woulda wasted the money on coffee and tips at Starbucks anyways. I also got the advantage of starting this project with a Pumpgun. As a renewed Shotgun owner (haven't had one since 1970!), and "Gun Tinkerer" this project is "Big Time" for me! I am going about it carefully (the barrel cut) and I may even have a 'Smith do the chop to have it done right?
The M550 won't get refinished or reblued cause the little dings and scrapes add character to a working gun. It'll likely get several more so why worry?
Ammo choices in this Post Obama NESS are slim but as I said a couple cases of Target loads to learn the gun with. I scored some Federal 20 Ga slugs for the SxS and really acored on some Low Recoil 12 Ga slugs. I got 4 boxes of #4 Phesant loads for the SxS till I can find some Buckshot loads for it. Finally I am stuck with 1 oz, 3 1/2 dram #8 Dove loads for the pump for the time being. Now these are some very heavilly charged Dove Loads and kick like hell because of the power they make! A little trick for inside the house loads to stop agression or attack.
When ammo frees up again I will use Buckshot loads and slugs for H/D loads.
Then pratice, [ratice, pratice.
I want to thank everyone here for the fine advice contained in this string it helped me choose which route is best for me to follow with a H/D Shotgun!
ZVP
Old April 7, 2013, 04:54 PM   #436
Deltaboy

Great Thread, I have shot every brand of shotgun made in the USA, Any of them will work in either in 20 or 12. So find one that fits YOU and stay safe out there.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:46 AM   #437
ADRskew

To all who see these present's, greetings. After reading through a good portion of this thread I see some trends, good and bad. As for my choice I am as close to what my agency uses without an NFA tax stamp. I am using a Rem 870 magnum express with a 18.5 barrel bead sight, 6 point pistol grip stock with a 5 slot shell carrier on the stock and a light on a pressure switch. In my younger days I had the aftermarket tacticool rails mounted, the mag extension, the 40mm red/green dot and the three point sling. But after replacing the word tactical for practical my gun lost a few pounds. For HD ultimately it is your choice on what you choose, for me my pump gun works, it is close to what I use at work, I can effectively combat and tactical load. For my HD situation I can see both major entries into my house from the top of the stairs and if SHTF I will stay at the top of the stairs. You can have the TV, don't really care. But set foot on my stairs and I will light you up then I will shoot you down IF I need to (hence the light). But every situation is different and before I PCS'ed the shot gun was ineffective and a hand gun would have been preferable due to the tight lay out of the upstairs hall but I made due and thankfully did not to use it in a HD situation. regardless of what you choose the most important thing I have read on this sight and many other's is practice like you play and practice, practice, practice. With respect Skew
Old May 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #438
Sheepdog1968

I shoot my shotguns a lot (persoally prefer Mossberg 500 for "field work" and Mossberg 590 for home defense though other name pump brands are just as good). I'm at the point where it really doesn't matter to me if it is a bead or iron sights. I think the most important thing by far is no matter what you choose (within reason) is to take formal classes such as Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, and Loui Awerbuck and then practice a lot.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old June 5, 2013, 10:59 AM   #439
wolf695

You got that right Dave!
Old June 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #440
Dontkillbill

My trusty 1897,m 20" barel and 5 home made 0000 buck with 8 .38 caliber balls . Slam fires 40 38s in about 4 seconds!
Old August 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #441
ShootingTargets7.com

I'd really love to get an AA-12 looks like an amazing weapon to me.
Anyone here have one? If so what's it like?
Old August 7, 2013, 03:02 PM   #442
allaroundhunter

They can only be owned by licensed dealers as dealer samples. Not many people will have them.
Old August 14, 2013, 02:39 PM   #443
pikid89

I just got into the fighting shotgun game...My new to me 870 Wingmaster Police gun

Came with the factory top folder
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376505388.717951.jpg

I shot it a few times with that stock, and like many of you advised, i was not a fan. So i searched around on ebay and found this police take off and scored it for $25.
Now all i need is a period correct butt plate or recoil pad..if anyone has any leads
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376505544.122744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376505561.296384.jpg

appleseedinfo.org
Old August 14, 2013, 02:44 PM   #444
lobo9er

Nice shotgun pikid!
Old August 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #445
sappyg

It took me about 3 days of reading off and on but I just finished all 18 pages of this thread. Aside from the odd post here and there I learned a good bit.

I just added one of those Mossburg 12 gage 18 1/2" barrels in cylinder bore to my older (and very smooth) 870 Express. After a trip to the range with some #1 buck at 15 feet my target had 75 30 caliber holes center mass..... Not bad.

I did remove the prehistoric factory 'recoil pad and replaced it with a grind to fit Limbsaver. Think I'll leave It at that and and stock up on some buckshot.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:10 PM   #446
evildogooder

Actually if practiced single loading is by far faster. As an any cas shooter who uses a 97 can show you
Old November 30, 2013, 06:32 PM   #447
evildogooder

Look up duece stevens on u tube hes one of the best. Or Missouri lefty. A 13 year old wonder shooter. . I shoot a double most times. On a bad day i can get 4 rounds out of an empty gun in under for seconds. I'm not even one of the faster shooters
Old December 10, 2013, 11:28 PM   #448
Buggy

This thread needs more pictures of fighting shotguns.

I had to cut the barrel shroud to fit and used metal band to secure temporarily.

I am a long time pump guy, but decided to switch to an auto-loader. I'll never look back....

It has performed without error through about 500 misc rounds.
Old December 11, 2013, 07:31 AM   #449
Sam1911

Do you practice a lot of door breaching?

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old December 11, 2013, 08:40 AM   #450
DeadFlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
Do you practice a lot of door breaching?
Aw, give the noobie a break, Sam. THR FTW!

Anyway, I think he did a nice job putting it all together. And I agree: more pics!