Quantcast
Not again.......! Feral Hog Control in East Texas - Page 56 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 29, 2013, 09:59 PM   #1376
bldsmith

DAAAAANNNNGGGG that boar would make on nice full body mount. Love the crest...
Old March 30, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1377
Patocazador

G'dale Mike: Are there hogs around B'ham now? I lived there in the 70s and had to go down to Jackson to hog hunt.

Bob
Old April 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1378
Twmaster

Flint,

I'm lucky enough to get to shoot on some private land up near Ladonia, TX (30 acres!)

We don't hunt the place but the possibility exists. Anyhow, we went out there today to do some shooting and found this big spot in the grass tore up. Also found a bunch of other places that looked like it had been rooted up. Even got a photo of a hoof print.

Are these hog signs?

Pic one: The big holes.

Pic two: inside the top hole:

Maybe they also used it as a wallow?

A hoof print:

So is this mess the handiwork of feral hogs?

Other than the other rooted up spots I did not see any hog signs like rubbing on fence posts or trees nearby and none of us were dressed for a hike down to the natural tank out on the back side of the property to look for other hog signs.

Thank you.

America: Stand and FIGHT!
Support the entire Constitution. Not just the parts you like.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1379
Blue68f100

Yes, Now you see why they are so destructive.
Old April 8, 2013, 02:28 PM   #1380
Patocazador

Those "big" places aren't wallows. They're just from hogs rooting for food. Wallows are usually smooth from the hogs siding around in them.

Bob
Old April 8, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1381
swalton1943

Unhappy

Was in Tyler Texas for a wedding first week in April; driving thru town and saw a great big patch beside the road , in town, with a large black hog rooting, at 2opm on a Saturday. The wife and wedding party wouldn't let me stop and go shooting hog.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1382
bldsmith

Yep, set up on em and you might just get a chance. If you have nv or lights even better. Get some corn and step on it in the mud. It will keep the deer out but higs will dig it up. Either that or make a pig pipe.

Goid luck
Old April 9, 2013, 09:27 AM   #1383
Blue68f100

They have been coming into town for some time now. A lot of home owners have started putting fences in the front yard to keep them from rooting it up. Since your not allowed to shoot a gun in the city limit they do not any predator worry about. And most will not even spook. Even the animal control has been able to do nothing with them.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1384
Terry Vincent

Got this 250 lb boar last week near Hondo,TX at 10:00 pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (87.4 KB, 124 views)
Old April 9, 2013, 04:25 PM   #1385
JRH6856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue68f100
Since your not allowed to shoot a gun in the city limit they do not any predator worry about.
Time to get a good suppressor and night vision equipment.

Of course, if they won't spook, you can just hit 'em with an axe.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1386
Paul7

For you people who have never eaten wild hog, I'm a bit of a foodie and think it is no less than the best meat I've ever eaten. You do have to cook it the right way. I told my wife to not bring home that bland grocery store factory pork anymore.

Last edited by Paul7; April 9, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1387
JRH6856

Quote:
I told my wife to not bring home anymore of that bland grocery store factory pork anymore.
Most people don't know how good real food actually tastes, We have been eating grass fed beef and free range chicken and pork for years.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:39 PM   #1388
Paul7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH6856 View Post
Most people don't know how good real food actually tastes, We have been eating grass fed beef and free range chicken and pork for years.
And its better for you without the antibiotics and junk they give the factory animals. People worry about bad stuff in wild pork, heck, a large percentage of factory chicken has samonella. Just because the store meat is wrapped all pretty in plastic doesn't mean it is problem free. Take at #s 1, 2, 5 and 7 here:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...ur-supermarket

Note 42% of supermarket pork has staph bacteria.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1389
Patocazador

The wild hogs around here are generally pretty rangy and tough. Unless I kill a butterball (very seldom), I give them away or have them made into Italian sausage.

Bob
Old April 9, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1390
Paul7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
The wild hogs around here are generally pretty rangy and tough. Unless I kill a butterball (very seldom), I give them away or have them made into Italian sausage.
How are you cooking it?
Old April 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1391

Dangerous hogs

This is for those of you who have hogs coming into town.I grew up on a farm in Lancaster county,Pennsylvania.Most of us raised pigs.Once they lose fear of people you can have real problems.In the late 50's an Amish boy fell into a hog pen and they killed him.
Old April 9, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1392
Terry Vincent

This gets the fleas and hair off real fast! Many thanks to my bro, Scott H, for letting me hunt his ranch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.3 KB, 216 views)
Old April 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1393
a98kdoc

I wounder If there is any place with a problem that will let us hunt for free.
Instead of 500$ a pig.
If so let us know
Old April 10, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1394
JRH6856

Not many. Too many people willing to pay. But many places charge by the day or by the pound and either is usually less than $500 a hog...unless it is a big hog.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1395
JoeDorn

"I wounder If there is any place with a problem that will let us hunt for free.
Instead of 500$ a pig.
If so let us know"

You can thank your lawyer friends for very little free access... the liability risk is too high when you let strangers on your land, especially with a gun...

Our land is in the Texas wildlife conservation plan and I was considering letting 'birders' in but the liability concerns won out...
GOA, SAF & TSRA Life
Old April 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1396
Patocazador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDorn View Post
"I wounder If there is any place with a problem that will let us hunt for free.
Instead of 500$ a pig.
If so let us know"

You can thank your lawyer friends for very little free access... the liability risk is too high when you let strangers on your land, especially with a gun...
Lawyers have friends????? Since when?

Bob
Old April 11, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1397
Flintknapper

Quote:
Lawyers have friends????? Since when?
Yes, they are called sharks.

That's why lawyers can swim in the ocean and not worry (professional courtesy) at play.

Just kidding, not Lawyer bashing.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:13 PM   #1398
Steel Horse Rider

Terry (#1392): How was the smell?
Old April 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1399
Terry Vincent

The "odor" as you may expect is noteworthy, but it is much better than hosting a couple of hundred fleas who jumped ship during skinning. My nephew shot this boar in January on Scot's ranch, but we didn't burn the hair. His body looked like he had been hit with a load of bird shot at 30 yds from all of the bites!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.9 KB, 126 views)
Old April 16, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1400
Gunner11

Should have used a better bullet!

Been cleaning out what my game camera picked up a few weeks ago, got dad and mum, and have been cleaning up the kids. Had my 223 today loaded with my std reload when I saw 4 little pigs, took them all thinking they'd be nice eating but turned out to be pulp.
The bullets didnt even penetrate just blew up killed them but ruined most of the meat, jacket pulled from opened wound is visible. When I picked up this guy he rattled. Sure glad the parents were already gone.! Bullet was a 55gr remington soft point over 26 gr of ar2208 doing 3220 at the muzzle range was 80 yds.
What do you AR shooters use ?BTW thats dad on the left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.jpg (155.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016_1.jpg (140.9 KB, 189 views)