Quantcast
How to ship firearms - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Legal

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 28, 2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Popeye1959

So can I, as an Illinois non FFL holder, ship a rifle for repairs to a non-manufacturer in Georgia via the USPS and can they send it back? UPS? Or is this going to involve FFL's What if the repair place has an FFL? Can we ship back and forth? I so need to get my FFL
Old March 28, 2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Bubbles

If the recipient is accepting firearms for repair he needs an FFL. He doesn't have to be a manufacturer; a Type 01 dealer license will cover it.

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank
Old April 8, 2013, 07:02 PM   #28
CE310QT

wow...complicated.

Last edited by CE310QT; April 10, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Hawaii Guy

Aloha,

So, as I read the very first posting,

I, as a Non FFL person Can mail via USPS Priority Mail

a handgun to a FFL liscensed person as long as I include a

Driver's License of other Government issued ID?
Old April 12, 2013, 04:38 PM   #30
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Guy View Post
Aloha,

So, as I read the very first posting,

I, as a Non FFL person Can mail via USPS Priority Mail

a handgun to a FFL liscensed person as long as I include a

Driver's License of other Government issued ID?
No. It is against US Postal Regulations for a non-FFL to mail a handgun via US Postal Service.
Old April 12, 2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Hawaii Guy

Aloha,

The reason I asked is because according to the local PD, if I sell a firearm,

long or short, to a buyer out of state, the shipping FFL MUST register that

firearm in his name and then send it out.

That means he has to stand in line for several hours to Apply for the

Application to Acquire said firearm, Wait 14 days, get the Permit to Acquire

and then get the firearm from me and then finally send it out. He HAS to stand in line each time.

Then he has to send the PD a letter saying he doesn't have it.

Hawaii laws have NO PROVISION to UN register a firearm.

As a result, my FFL says it is Waaaay too much Hassle for him just to

send a gun out of state FFL to FFL. He says it's not worth what he charges.

He can think of better ways to waste his time.

Is there any Provision for me, a non FFL to send a gun to a FFL and Not

be illegal?

Thank You
Old April 12, 2013, 05:17 PM   #32
btg3

You may ship via Fedex to an FFL. You do not need an FFL on your end.

As others at THR have recommended, it may be helpful to go to the fedex website and print a copy of their info to take with you for the benefit of the fedex workers that are poorly informed.
Old April 12, 2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Hawaii Guy

Thank You

Yes, I can. I just printed their rules out AND

I called FedEx. I Actually got a guy in Dallas instead of an asian country.

He knew Exactly what I was talking about and Confirmed that as long as

the receipiant is an FFL, I'm good to go.

Now the only problem is How Much it's going to cost depending on Where

the receiver is.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:49 PM   #34
NavyLCDR

You can also ship the gun by UPS. You just can't use the US Postal Service.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:20 AM   #35
jaydubb

If I'm reading this right, then I can safely mail a pistol to myself.

Here's my situation, perhaps you all can tell me if there is something I am missing?

I live in Wisconsin. Travelling to visit my mother in California shortly.

I would like to mail my personal handgun to myself at her address, so it's there when I arrive.

The gun will not be sold or transfered, but I don't legally reside at her address.

Any problems with that?
Old April 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #36
Bubbles

Federal law prohibits non-FFL's from shipping a handgun using the US Postal Service. The only legal options for non-FFL's to ship handguns are UPS and FedEx, both of which have their own policies requiring that handguns from non-FFL's be sent 1) overnight, and 2) only to an FFL.

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rule..._articles.html

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Old July 21, 2013, 08:49 PM   #37
Pripyat

I was just reviewing FedEx policies in regards to shipping a rifle/shotgun and came across this:

Quote:
Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service.
Has this changed since the original post? The original post states that long rifles/shotguns can be shipped via FedEx Ground.
Old July 21, 2013, 11:45 PM   #38
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pripyat View Post
I was just reviewing FedEx policies in regards to shipping a rifle/shotgun and came across this:

Has this changed since the original post? The original post states that long rifles/shotguns can be shipped via FedEx Ground.
Yes. Fedex added more restrictions to their policies either last year or this year. UPS did too. Surprisingly, US Post Office actually loosened their regulations a little bit regarding mailing rifles and shotguns - or at least more specifically declared their policy in the Domestic Mail Manual. If a rifle or shotgun is going to an FFL or being mailed to yourself, you can mail it US Post Office yourself.
Old July 27, 2013, 02:26 PM   #39
dogtown tom

Quote:
NavyLCDR Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pripyat
Yes. Fedex added more restrictions to their policies either last year or this year. UPS did too.....
Nothing has changed.
Both of you only read the tariff for FedEx Express service....it requires Priority Overnight delivery.

If you read the tariff for FedEx Ground it clearly allows rifles and shotguns to go via Ground service.

Quote:
Surprisingly, US Post Office actually loosened their regulations a little bit regarding mailing rifles and shotguns - or at least more specifically declared their policy in the Domestic Mail Manual. If a rifle or shotgun is going to an FFL or being mailed to yourself, you can mail it US Post Office yourself.
That has always been allowed.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
Old July 27, 2013, 08:41 PM   #40
jr_roosa

Quote:
If you read the tariff for FedEx Ground it clearly allows rifles and shotguns to go via Ground service.
Just sent a rifle to a gunsmith in another state by FedEx Ground a couple of weeks ago. $22 and it got there in 4 days or so safe and sound.

I had to go to the "FedEx Hub" that is actually closer to my house than the strip mall FedEx Kinkos type stores, which aren't allowed to ship firearms.

Took about 10 minutes, and most of that was filling out the shipping form.

At the end of the game, he will ship it back to me the same way, FedEx to my door, but maybe a slightly higher cost since the insurance will now include all the custom work I had done in the new value of the rifle.

-J.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:45 PM   #41
GBExpat
Contributing Member

Location: Rural, far beyond the beltway, Northern Virginia, USA
FWIW, I have an online account with UPS and, in the past, they have picked up both longguns and/or ammo at my rural home. No daily pickup here, just an online UPS account with an assigned account number and a Mastercard on-file.
Old July 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #42
NavyLCDR

You are correct. The FedEx Ground Tariff does allow for shipment of non-handguns via ground service. My mistake. I was reading the FedEx Express tariff which states this on page 7:

"C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot
ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express
Drop Box."

There is no difference between handguns and non-handguns in the Express Tariff. I was just reading the wrong document....

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...und/index.html
Old August 19, 2013, 04:40 AM   #43
jungleking

I have an FFL03 and live in an apartment. If memory serves me correctly, UPS, FEDEX, and USPS require signature confirmation for firearms, handguns especially. Most of the time I would not be home when the delivery guy arrives so it's the fun shuffle to catch the person over the next few days. Am I able to re route to a pick up location so as to alleviate this headache. And to avoid the prying eyes of the wife?

Just curious because I would like to purchase a few eligible firearms soon.

Thanks!
Old August 19, 2013, 07:59 AM   #44
dogtown tom

While UPS, FedEx and USPS will be happy to hold the package at their facility, very few will let you reroute unless you pay extra for that service.

Typically shippers will not permit their shipments to be rerouted due to security concerns, and block the recepients ability to do so.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
Old August 19, 2013, 11:49 PM   #45
jungleking

Thank you, I'll look into it further and see what I can find for each carrier.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:31 AM   #46
Bubbles

Quote:
If memory serves me correctly, UPS, FEDEX, and USPS require signature confirmation for firearms, handguns especially.
While they may require it, you wouldn't believe the number of boxes that are simply left stacked on the porch (we're a home-based FFL) by all 3 carriers.

Old August 21, 2013, 11:45 PM   #47
jungleking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
While they may require it, you wouldn't believe the number of boxes that are simply left stacked on the porch (we're a home-based FFL) by all 3 carriers.
This is the other thing that concerns me. I've had non firearm related packages left in front of my door that required a signature and were expensive merchandise. One of the many reasons I would like to route to a pick up location.
Old August 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #48
cibach

How to ship firearms

I just spoke to my local ffl and was told long guns don't aren't required to come through an ffl. He said it can come straight seller to buyer? Doesn't seem right?? Is that within state only? I'm in Louisiana

Chris Ibach
Old August 29, 2013, 01:33 PM   #49
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibach View Post
I just spoke to my local ffl and was told long guns don't aren't required to come through an ffl. He said it can come straight seller to buyer? Doesn't seem right?? Is that within state only? I'm in Louisiana

Chris Ibach
If the buyer and seller are residents of the same state, neither a handgun nor a rifle is required to pass through an FFL, unless state law requires it. I am 99% certain Louisiana does not require it. If either a handgun or a rifle is being shipped between residents of different states, both must go through an FFL, even if the two states in question are contiguous to each other, and even if the buyer and seller are related to each other.

18 USC 922 (a)(3) and (a)(5) are the Federal laws regarding transfer of firearms between private parties.
Old August 29, 2013, 09:27 PM   #50
olympios

Anyone familiar with shipping across the borders? I would like to ship my own shotgun to Greece (and keep it there). Delta airlines told me I can take it with me as long as it is in a locking hard case and also have a license/permit from the local police(!!!). I would rather have it shipped there in advance, via USPS or FEDEX/UPS.
If any of you is familiar with this it will help a lot. Calling the above carriers I expect to get those... "Sorry, I'm not familiar with it, maybe you need to contact ATF, FBI and CIA first!"
Than you.