Quantcast
Resources - Page 15 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Activism

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 17, 2013, 07:16 PM   #351
bk42261

King on Assault Weapons Ban

We have looked at this in so many different ways..and we wanted to make sure it was enforceable.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:23 PM   #352
barnbwt

I love how his logic in #6 is completely counter to his reasoning in #7

"It is important to emphasize that these [magazines] have exactly the same functionality as the common semi-automatic [magazines] owned by thousands of Maine residents"

Some people just have a whole mess of spaghetti for a world view. At least he's up front with his "gun violence" code language right in the first bullet () point; saves us some time hashing out his position based on the rest of his letter--very efficient. I can't believe these guys are still trying to work the Fudd angle--don't they know there's precious few of those left, these days?

"Probably the best example of this history is the apparently absolute prohibition on infringements on freedom of speech contained in the First Amendment ... which has long been interpreted to have limits--that free speech does not include the right to shout “fire!” in a crowded theater, for example."

And yet the freedom of speech allows us to set fire to an American flag in a crowd of people--see, I can come up with non-sequitors, too!

The First Amendment isn't about shooting off a blank in a crowd, and the Second isn't about hunting

I do give the man credit for writing a lengthy letter. I've been irritated by one-sentence (form) responses from some the very gun-supportive folks here in Texas. King at least still feels the need to defend his actions.

TCB

Do anti's dream of defenseless sheep?

Last edited by barnbwt; April 17, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:28 PM   #353
bk42261

More time now.
To expand on his response to assault weapons ban:
Every time a weapon is prohibited, the manufacturer makes slight changes to get around the ban. We have looked at this is so many different ways, and we wanted to make sure it was {ENFORCABLE}.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:36 PM   #354
Yo Mama

The words I have to say are not allowed on this forum.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:18 PM   #355
dc.fireman

Here's a searchable index for Virginia:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?131+sbj+SBJ
Old April 17, 2013, 11:24 PM   #356
bk42261

Should be fine, though, because he's (not kidding) looking to the federalist papers to see if drones are okay.
I sh** you not.
Old April 18, 2013, 09:51 AM   #357
Bartholomew Roberts
Moderator Emeritus

I have updated a list of all the Senators up for election in 2014 to reflect their recent votes; because of the amount of work and the difficulty in editing it for THR, please go to:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/142...nt_Stance.html
Old April 18, 2013, 04:50 PM   #358
Ryanxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk42261 View Post
Should be fine, though, because he's (not kidding) looking to the federalist papers to see if drones are okay.
I sh** you not.
Wonderful
And he JUST got elected

Join NRA Today!

Takes 2 minutes to donate to NRA-ILA https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-...re/donate.aspx
Bloomberg is spending, we can too. Every little bit helps.
Old April 19, 2013, 06:17 AM   #359
Ash

I don't know, I'd reserve anger somewhat and this is why:

7. After a great deal of thought, however, I am not prepared to support the proposed ban on so-called assault weapons — principally because I just don't think it will work. It is important to emphasize that these weapons have exactly the same firing mechanism and functionality as the common semi-automatic hunting rifles owned by thousands of Maine residents. Although their looks may be more menacing, they do not shoot any faster, farther, or with more power than conventional hunting rifles; and contrary to popular belief, they are not fully automatic, with the ability to to spray bullets with one pull of the trigger. In addition, the vast majority of gun crimes — well over 90 percent — involve handguns, not rifles, assault or otherwise.

This means he's no foe. What we need to do is educate him on magazine length rather than write him off. It seems to me, though I could be wrong, that he just needs a better understanding of the issue. I'd say work with him on that. If he can understand an AK is functionally no different than a Garand (rotating bolt semi-automatic) which is not really any different from a hunting rifle, then he perhaps can better understand magazine size.
" ... "It is a law of nature to which no experience has ever furnished an exception, that the rising grander and opulence of a nation must be balanced by the decline of its heroic virtues." Alexander Tytler
Old April 19, 2013, 08:24 AM   #360
Midwest

Just be aware that Mr. King allegedly said this....

"Anyone seeing anyone buying components, any type of BBs or ball bearings -- a large amount of nails, even -- report that to police," he said.

( Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.), a member of both the House Homeland Security Committee and the House Intelligence Committee, wants retailers to tell police about people who buy innocuous items that could be used to make a bomb.)

Source:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rep-...-notify-police
Looking for "ghost guns" which shoot "heat seeking bullets that cook animals" with "more thrusts per squeeze" using "magazines that can only be used once" featuring "the shoulder thing that goes up" and "assault weapons that can be bought at a store without a NICS check".

Moms Demand Action should change their name to Bloomberg Demands Compliance.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:26 AM   #361
mcdonl

He voted yea on AWB, mag capacity and of course UBC. I have set up a Facebook page "Remember S.649" to keep the fire stoked until election time.

I'm looking for the post with the voting records right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cry “Havoc,” and let slip the dogs of war.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:53 AM   #362
mcdonl

I just posted this on his facebook page in response to people saying they did not feel represented...

"I was very represented. I called, emailed and wrote our Senators from Maine. It did no good, but I was not alone. Millions of others like me acted by supporting SAM, the NRA and other groups to put pressure on the Senate and it worked. If the Gun-Control Lobby truly had the 90% they say they had than where was the grass roots efforts? The fact of the matter is the American people embrace the second amendment and our freedom and we realize that guns are not the problem. Violence stemming from mental health system failures and the collapse of morals are. Senator King... now is where the rubber meets the road. If this was truly to make our children safer I expect to see action to address the root causes of murder... not just the tools used. We will remember S.649 and how you voted and we will take that to the polls just like we did in 1994. Now is your chance to do some real work."
Cry “Havoc,” and let slip the dogs of war.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:46 PM   #363
Ryanxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
Just be aware that Mr. King allegedly said this....

"Anyone seeing anyone buying components, any type of BBs or ball bearings -- a large amount of nails, even -- report that to police," he said.

( Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.), a member of both the House Homeland Security Committee and the House Intelligence Committee, wants retailers to tell police about people who buy innocuous items that could be used to make a bomb.)

Source:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rep-...-notify-police
Thanks for the input but that's the wrong King
We are speaking of Senator Angus King of Maine.

Keep up the good work Mcdonl!

Join NRA Today!

Takes 2 minutes to donate to NRA-ILA https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-...re/donate.aspx
Bloomberg is spending, we can too. Every little bit helps.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:56 PM   #364
MarshallDodge

You can take Max Baucus off the list, he is retiring.

BA/UU/R.... In memory of Dave McCracken.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:01 AM   #365
winterhorse290

Mary Landrieu (D) is on our "do not re elect list" here in louisiana. David Vitter is also on notice that we,re watching him too.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:20 AM   #366
Piratesailor

In my opinion, if they have served more than two terms they need to go anyway.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:20 AM   #367
25cschaefer

Quote:
You can take Max Baucus off the list, he is retiring.
He is also a two faced weasel. He voted against the Toomey bill and sent me letter explaining how much he supports an armed citizenry, then he voted against a measure that would have prevented the US from entering into an arms treaty with the UN. So basically he thinks that it is bad for the US to impose gun control on us but okay for a foreign force to.

We need to see whom he is going to support and make sure they don't make it in.

Keep an eye on Tester, I know he is not up this go-round but he voted for the Toomey bill because he felt it did not effect him and he thinks the second amendment protects our "hunting and fishing heritage."
Old April 28, 2013, 09:27 AM   #368
Comrade Mike

Good luck ever getting Durbin out of office.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #369
phil dirt

As both Diamondback 8 and Skribs have already said, Washington state has two very anti- Second Amendment Senators, Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell. Neither of them have ever seen a gun control proposal they didn't like, and both voted yea on the UN arms treaty. Though Washington is a fairly liberal state, we do have a lot of gun owners. When these two run for re-election, as they certainly will, I would love to see Second Amendment supporters go all out to defeat them. I, for one, would be more than happy to work on a campaign to remove these two horrible creatures from the US Senate. We do have some strong pro- gun forces in Washington state that could help us start to get organized. Let's do it!
Old April 28, 2013, 12:26 PM   #370
Dframe

I'd give anything to replace our worthless dick durbin. I've voted against him everytime I could, and will do so again. In fact I'll work for the campaign for ANYONE who'll run against him. So should EVERY gun owner in Illinois!
Old April 28, 2013, 09:19 PM   #371
baz

Even the "D's" who have voted our way recently -- such as my senator, Pryor of AR, need to be replaced by pro-gun "R's," in order to give the "R's" control of the Senate. If the D's retain control of the Senate in 2014, they will take that as vindication of their agenda, and will continue to whittle away at our RKBA. I'm hoping that we can find a good solid candidate to run against Pryor here in AR. I hope the same happens in the other "Red" states that have "Blue dog" D's in the Senate. Don't vote just on NRA/GOA rankings. In the current political environment, Republicans need to gain control of the Senate. I know that any given Republican can be a curse (there are one or two here from AZ that come to mind), but we need R's in control of the Senate (and House) as long as Obama remains President.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:00 AM   #372
dc dalton

Don't know if you have seen the new thread I posted yesterday about our new organization but now you have one place where you can track all new laws from all 50 states and the federal government.

http://amgoa.org

You can also sign up (100% free) and add laws you want to keep track of to your watch list and be sent an email any time something in those laws has changed.

This was one of the driving forces for us to build this thing, it's always been a giant PITA too keep track and be informed about new laws.

Enjoy!
Old May 4, 2013, 01:07 PM   #373
Showman

Just wanted to let all in the forum know: Senator Saxby Chambliss from Georgia will be retiring and not seeking re-election. His seat will almost certainly go to a Republican (Georgia is a very red state).