Where do you live? And why? - Page 16 - THR

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Rallying Point and Range Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 28, 2013, 08:06 PM   #376
Glad no one answered "in a drunken stupor" and "because I have no ammo"
It's simple: If you don't like guns, don't own one.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:24 PM   #377
ND, TX, SD and now Indiana

I have liked all those states but least liked ND because I drove a lot of motorcycles. I have always shot guns and am lucky my job took me to a place that I can enjoy my firearms hobby including title 2 weapons (machine guns). I will never see the need to move to CA, NY, NJ or other restricted states and never visit for pleasure only work.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:16 PM   #378

My ancestors before me settled here from Berlin Germany in the early 1800's. They arrived in New Orleans and then traveled down the coast of what is now Texas. They purchased 10's of thousands of acres of land in which some of it is where I call home. Will pass it down to my children as it was passed down to me. I see no reason to move away from God's country.
Old September 30, 2013, 09:44 PM   #379
Born and raised in Alabama. Haven't moved out of the state, since I'm still in college (junior). I pay a professor a paltry $100 a month to rent out a room.

After med school (here's hoping I make it) I think I'd like to move west. Maybe to Utah. I just love the scenery there (seems like you're 45 minutes from everything--plains, high mountains, desert, and every other climate)
"Not knowing any better makes you ignorant. Refusing to change ignorant behavior makes you stupid. You can easily fix ignorant but stupidity is terminal. I don't want to be either."
Old October 2, 2013, 01:49 PM   #380
I'm a native Texan and leaving permanently just won't happen. I've traveled to most states on business and pleasure over the years and seen some fabulous places. But in the words of the late great UT football coach Darryl Royal, "You dance with the one that brung ya."

People - Great mix of southern hospitality and western independence.
Climate - Yes it gets damn hot in the summer, but winter is short and mild in my part of the state...and I hate the cold. (Full disclosure: We do have a vacation home in the Blue Ridge mountains of N.C. Even Texans need a break from 100+ temperatures!)
Environment - From deserts to mountains to prairies to forests to coastlines, we've got it all. Big cities to small towns to wide open vast spaces.
Economy - Strong and stable with a business friendly environment; No state income tax; Right to work state.
Sports - Hunting, fishing (salt & fresh), major pro teams, college and high school (esp. football). We even have hockey! (My son played for his H.S. team.)
History - From the Alamo to Apollo. Enough said.

and of course we respect the gun rights of our citizens. Within an hour of my home there are at least 6 IDPA clubs and 4 USPSA clubs. My wife and I and our two sons all have CHLs.

Like many of you, I love my home state. Texas has been good to me and my family.
STI Junkie (12) and a bunch of non 1911s

Last edited by GLI45; October 2, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:02 AM   #381
I was born in New Mexico, moved to Southern California before I could walk, moved to Arizona at around age 14 and have spent the majority of my adult life in Arizona, for reasons I believe most THR's members would understand. I won't even consider visiting California, despite the fact that my only brother lives there still. I refuse to set foot on soil that strips me of my 2A rights, and, or, doesn't allow me the ability to defend myself.

Old October 5, 2013, 05:33 PM   #382
Hurryin' Hoosier
Born and raised in southern Indiana. Ancestors first arrived in 1804 (when it was still the Indiana Territory). The only time I haven't lived here was four years during the "unpleasantness" in Southeast Asia.
Old October 5, 2013, 07:10 PM   #383
Contributing Member
Born and raised just north of Seattle in what is now Shoreline. Moved to Lynden because I have grown very conservative (which the majority of Lynden folk are) and I also got sick and tired of the rat race in Seattle.

Glad I did.

I still like Western Washington even though we celebrate the Pacific NW Rain Festival here from January 1 to December 31.
NRA, GOA and SAF Life member.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #384
I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as quick as I could. Been here 20 years now and this is the great state where I'll be planted. Before making it to Texas I lived in 6 states, 2 countries and visited all 48 continental unites states. Although there are so many gorgeous states and places, I see no reason to leave Texas.
Old October 6, 2013, 11:19 PM   #385
Accadents happen

I grew up in Montgomery County, MD. Went to school in Ithaca, NY (loved it). Not having anything better to do, I moved back to MD. After getting my first real job, I got a place in Rockville. Given the legal changes in MD, I plan to get a better job in either DC or Virgina and then move across the river. I like the area, I don't like being insulted by some of my elected officials.
Old October 7, 2013, 05:19 PM   #386
My username says it all. I'm born and raised here in Rochester right on Lake Ontario. A very beautiful place.
I've been camping and fishing as long as I can remember, hunting shortly after.
Now there's comrade cuomo, his safe act manifesto and the rest of the demented crap politicians dole out.

That's Ok.
Now the mindless pukes that voted for all this crap have to sign up for obamacare and they'll be seeing how much the free stuff costs them.
I think maybe even brainwashed zombies can make the correct choice: diapers for their kids or palaces for the politicians.....hmmmmm
Goodbye commies.
When you argue with an idiot nobody can tell the difference.
Old October 8, 2013, 12:56 AM   #387
I was born in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in the same hospital that my dad and his dad were born in. I was raised in North Alabama and have always called this place "home". I had brief exploits to Lake Charles, Louisiana, Lake Okeechobee, Florida, and Auburn, Alabama. I think I have to be around water. I've always loved water which is fortunate because "home" happens to be known for its 75,000 acre lake on the Tennessee River. This lake is ranked the 3rd best bass lake in the country by Bassmaster.

I didn't really grow up country, but I grew into it. I never realized that I would miss mountains or water until I moved away from them. Louisiana and Florida was too flat for me, and Auburn had no water. Lol.

We do have a plethora of outdoor activities relatively close by. Hiking, camping, fishing, hunting...just don't expect to do any snow skiing. I like the mild winters here but could do without the crazy humidity and high temps in the summer.

I have no family land to inherit or any of that. My goal is to find a good job, buy a house on 20-50 acres, and live out my life as happily as possible. It would be very nice if those 20-50 acres happened to include a fish pond, a few food plots, and a 500 yard private range...
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Old October 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #388
Denver, Born & Raised. Lived in Duplin County, NC while I was on Active Duty. Got out, came homme, and here I am. Live in the country outside of Denver now.

The wife and I are about over all the imports that have been ruining my state, and are looking to flee to Montana or Wyoming eventually.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:31 PM   #389
Born and raised on Long Island NY, moved to Pennsylvania when I was 30 for a change of job, and change of scenery. Glad I did, I love PA, the geography, nice people, slower pace, and of course very good place for gun owners to be.
Old October 27, 2013, 06:06 AM   #390
Born and raised in NC, couldn't be more ready to leave.

AZ can expect me in exactly three more semesters.
Old October 27, 2013, 09:31 AM   #391
Indiana .... Career & kids/grand kids are here.
Our whole constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds. __ Thurgood Marshall
Old October 28, 2013, 05:56 PM   #392
Lost Angeles, CA native. I only live here anymore because of an ailing parent in a local care facility. When she passes I'm outa here for somewhere normal.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt
Old October 28, 2013, 10:15 PM   #393
Born and raised in Indiana

Spent several years in MS. Now live 35 miles from Detroit. Chasing dollars is why I am here and I truthfully don't know if its been worth it. Making more money than I ever dreamed I would but I sure have given up a lot also.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:26 PM   #394
Well I was born only a couple of hours from where I am I am here now for college that is why I live here
Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.
George Washington
Old October 28, 2013, 10:57 PM   #395
Hondo 60
Contributing Member
Born & raised in the land of cheese.
Spent 4 years in the Army & dreamed of moving back home.
in my 40's I spent 8 years about 50 miles from home.
When I retired I wanted to be close to Lake Michigan & my brothers so I moved back.

Now I'm lookin for a rich widow, so can live in Southern AZ during the WI winters
and live in Eastern WI during the AZ summers.
64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
If you enjoy THR, why not contribute?
Old October 30, 2013, 10:22 PM   #396
"Now I'm lookin for a rich widow"

Be careful what you wish for, Hondo. You may get it!
Old October 31, 2013, 03:37 PM   #397
Some of us bloom where we are planted.
Me, in the southern Appalachian mountains of Western North Carolina.

I traveled the country some, but this is home.
Life is too short to not just go ahead and do it
Old November 1, 2013, 05:45 PM   #398
I sold my last business in Virginia after being there over 30 years. I moved to Nashville to be near the things I like to do, family-fishing-hunting-low taxes-conservative politics.

Born with wonderlust in my blood, I have thoughts about living a lot of other places. When I get tired of Nashville, I go to my daughter's house in Belgium for a month. After traveling and enjoying the delights of Europe, I realize how good we have it. Gas is $8 a gallon here, sales taxes run 17-23 percent, a middling meal at a restaurant is at least $50 for two and it cost more than most folks can afford for heat and electicity. Forget about shooting or owning a firearm.

When I get home, I fondle a few guns and fishing poles and realize how good we have it. I will be back in time for deer season next week.
Then the Frenchman said "Ce cou rouge est fou et sauvage".
Old November 7, 2013, 04:08 PM   #399
I live in Arizona. I think most anyone here at THR can understand why I continue to reside here, much like Alaska I suppose.

I did however reside in Cal. for a while as a child, which was hard to tolerate, and also spent some years in New Mexico, which wasn't bad.

Old November 13, 2013, 08:26 AM   #400
SC Shooter
Why's the Tough Part

I was born and raised in Upstate NY where I learned about guns, and hunting at the hands of my father & grandfather. Went to college in the South (The Citadel), then the army, then settled in the south and never went back north other than to visit. Worked in engineering & construction all over the world, but have called South Carolina home for 45 years. It's been all good.
If practice makes perfect, what's the big deal about getting outside your box?