Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 29 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12, 2013, 05:34 PM   #701
Deltaboy

My condolences about your father . Cold Steel blackthorn cane are Real tough.
Old December 15, 2013, 01:04 PM   #702
ThorinNNY

Location: 3 hours North of Syracuse, 2 hours west of Lake Champlain
Bob Parow of Belleville NY makes canes from polycarbonate that are designed designed to look like human leg bones.Today`s paper has a write up about him and his canes. I`m sorry I cannot post pictures, but he has a website www.my3rdleg.com
and the article listed his phone number as (315 ) 796 2263 if .you`re interested.His prices range from about $ 80 to $ 200.
Old December 15, 2013, 02:29 PM   #703
hso

Why would anyone here want something like that???

It draws attention that isn't wanted and may lack the balance needed for a good defensive tool.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old December 15, 2013, 03:27 PM   #704
ThorinNNY

Hso
I have no idea why someone would want that cane other than the fact it IS unusual and draws attention to itself. Some people like strange things, I guess. I also agree with you that it doesn't seem as though it would make a good defensive weapon, but it may be of interest to someone who collects unusual and interesting looking canes.
I suspect that if that guy is doing that as a business venture, somebody`s buying them- is it really worth his while? That`s the 64 thousand dollar question!
Old December 16, 2013, 04:32 PM   #705
JN01

I knew someone who had a hip replacement surgery and got to keep the the ball joint to use as a cane top.

A bit strange, but it certainly was a conversation piece.
Old December 19, 2013, 07:44 AM   #706
Deltaboy

WOW that is unusual for sure.
Old December 19, 2013, 06:08 PM   #707
CWL

Very interesting! Definitely the most unique cane I've ever seen before. I think the uniqueness would be appealing to many full-time cane users who are tired of basic crook neck or aluminum canes, or people who collect canes as a hobby. Being 100% poly-carbonate and having that solid upper bend & ball, I think it'd make a really useful striking surface for SD situations.

Old December 29, 2013, 06:18 PM   #708
Deltaboy

I like making and using them.
Old December 29, 2013, 10:34 PM   #709
Packman

I'm 24 years old, but I messed my knees up in high school. Every once in a while, they'll flare up something fierce and it's a whole lot easier on me to walk with a cane for a couple days. I don't mind it all that much, to be honest. I can get around okay without it, but it does take some of the load off and speed the recovery back to normal. Worst flare up I had was about 2 years ago, and I spent almost 2 full weeks walking with one of my sticks. That was not a pleasant episode.

I rather like the look of a well made cane, and I sort of wish a "walking cane" was still considered a fashionable accessory for a well-dressed gentleman. Between me, my dad and grandad, we have a rather large collection of canes, some of them very old.
Old December 31, 2013, 04:33 PM   #710
Dirty Bob

I gave a heavy hardwood crook-top cane to one of my brothers-in-law. He's a school teacher, and he's keeping it in his classroom, just in case. I know that a cane isn't much against a gun, but used from ambush against someone breaking in through the door, it would be much better than empty hands.

It's easy to justify such a thing, even if the reason is that it's used to reach stuff on high shelves. I told him to just mention his old knee injury if anyone asked. So far, however, no one has batted an eye. This is the usual reaction to an "ordinary" wood cane.

When going for walks, I generally have an old rattan crook-top I bought in a thrift store over 30 years ago. I keep an MTM Shooter's Walking Stick in my trunk, with the sharp tip cut off and a rubber crutch tip on the end.

Regards,
Dirty Bob
Old December 31, 2013, 04:39 PM   #711
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
I'm 24 years old, but I messed my knees up in high school. Every once in a while, they'll flare up something fierce and it's a whole lot easier on me to walk with a cane for a couple days. I don't mind it all that much, to be honest. I can get around okay without it, but it does take some of the load off and speed the recovery back to normal. Worst flare up I had was about 2 years ago, and I spent almost 2 full weeks walking with one of my sticks. That was not a pleasant episode.

I rather like the look of a well made cane, and I sort of wish a "walking cane" was still considered a fashionable accessory for a well-dressed gentleman. Between me, my dad and grandad, we have a rather large collection of canes, some of them very old.
Google Canes and you can spend as much as you want.
Old January 6, 2014, 08:46 PM   #712
ThorinNNY

I carry a cane because it helps me walk - I`ve got a bum leg and the cane helps with balance as well. I`m embarrassed to admit it, but I belatedly remembered to check out the rubber tip. That thing was so worn down, I`m surprised I didn`t fall on the ice which is everywhere this time of year in Northern New York.
I it`s a good thing they sell replacement cane tips in packages of two- I had a new tip on hand.
I`m sure everybody here is more vigilant than I am and check the tips of their canes regularly and often, but if you`re like me at times you might be so preoccupied with weightier matters, you just forget to check.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:11 PM   #713
Deltaboy

I use table leg rubber tips.
Old January 7, 2014, 08:12 AM   #714
bikerdoc

Cane tips are an important safety matter.

Local drug store sells replacement cane tips in a 4 pack for $ 5.95. I always have a pack on hand as I make a few canes a year.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old January 7, 2014, 08:12 AM   #715
ThorinNNY

Deltaboy

Great idea. I`ll give it a try. Thanks!
Old January 7, 2014, 10:08 AM   #716
glistam

Furniture leg tips are my goto since many of my canes are home-made, several from wild wood, and therefore not the "regulation" diameter at the bottom. Btw my Ice Axe-top has been getting a lot more use in this weather out here.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #717
Madcap_Magician

Something I miss... Mendowood walking sticks. Bob would take steel pipe, fill it with wood and epoxy, and epoxy the shaft so it was black and knobby, kinda like blackthorn. He would put on a nice turned hardwood cap.

He had some health issues and stopped making them. I wish they were still around, because the one I bought I ordered the wrong length and it ended up being too short for me by about two inches.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:58 PM   #718
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorinNNY View Post
Deltaboy

Great idea. I`ll give it a try. Thanks!
The ones I been getting are nice and well made. They are Shepherd Hardware Products .
Old January 10, 2014, 09:15 AM   #719
22-rimfire

Saw a young man hoofing it at a fast pace down along the road the other day. He had a cane. I chuckled and mentioned to my buddy that THAT cane was not carried to assist in his walking.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:20 PM   #720
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
Saw a young man hoofing it at a fast pace down along the road the other day. He had a cane. I chuckled and mentioned to my buddy that THAT cane was not carried to assist in his walking.
He may be like me, I'm Fine then oh what happened. On good days I am fine but it can go South then very next step.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:31 PM   #721
Rexster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
I can hoof it at a quite good speed on level ground, but on a slope, or stairway, at just the wrong-for-me grade, my right knee can suddenly let me down. Therefore, my "sometimes" reply to the poll, I live in a flatland, coastal prairie environment, so normally only need a stick when heading inland.
Old January 11, 2014, 01:32 PM   #722
mac66

Just saw this thread, pretty interesting. Now I have to go back and read it from the begining.

Before I had my knee replaced I often used a collapsible walking stick/hiking staff. A few years later I had ankle problems which put me back on the stick for awhile. Always liked a good stick/cane/staff to walk with. They are handy and no one pays much attention to them.

Last edited by mac66; January 11, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:04 PM   #723
Deltaboy

I been even to court houses and the Federal buildings with no issue with my stock cane.

Last edited by Deltaboy; January 11, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 03:44 PM   #724
Cocked & Locked

A brace of Colts

Yep, same here. I've also carried two matched length stock canes onboard flights from NC to Colorado and Alaska and never had any questions or problems. Got a Colt Medallion from pistol grips in each one.

If I have to cover some distance in airports or where I'm headed I'll take two.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:31 PM   #725
Deltaboy

Talking

Tractor Supply Company got them on sale for 13 bucks.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...den-cane-36-in