Quantcast
recipe forum - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 14, 2013, 11:13 AM   #51
brainwake

I did something just recently. Canned Venison. We bought a pressure cooker. All we did was cube up some venison and fill some jars. We added a little water and salt. I think most of it was roast meat. Then cooked it in the pressure cooker according to the instructions. Last night we took the jar, I spooned out the few floating fat chunks, then dumped it into a skillet to heat it up, mixed in some brown gravy mix. Then pour over some mashed potatoes. It sure was good.

Last edited by brainwake; November 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:07 PM   #52
Sun Tzu warrior

Two favorites and both simple!
!st; put venison or any other red meat into a crock pot, with enough of this mixture to cover it; 1 can of beef broth, 16 oz can of the cheapest beer you can find, and one jar (with juice) of mild pepperoncini peppers. let cook til the meat is falling apart. Put on french bread of a hoggie roll and enjoy!

2nd; What I call patatoe chipped backstrap; Clean off all the connective tissue off a backstrap, cut as thin as possible, salt and pepper, fry on high heat til brown, flip over and do the same on the other side, You will taste the wonderful flavor of the meat without the gammie taste everyone tries to hide.

Fact of the matter is most folks come up with very creative ways to cover up a bad butchering job. soak in salt water, buttermilk, vinegar, creative marinades ect......
Venison has a wonderful taste, if you clean all the ligiments, and connective tissue before cooking, you will be able to tell just how good it really tastes. It is noteworthy that the final trimming is a lot easier after the cut of meat has been frozen and then almost thawed.
I always seperate every muscle and eliminate the parts which make it taste gamie. The parts where it is not reasonable to do so, goes to the processor to make sausage.

STW
Old February 18, 2014, 09:49 AM   #53
brainwake

I think that the people that complain the most about gamy flavor, really haven't had much venison, and it is more of an excuse not to eat something they don't trust....and by trust I mean, covered in pink slime and plastic on a grocery store shelf.
Old July 10, 2014, 09:25 AM   #54
Tony k

I'm too lazy for all this elaborate mixing and pounding and marinating. I generally cook once a week and eat the same thing for every meal. Here's how I prepare the meat:

1. pull some deer or elk meat out of the freezer
2. season it with salt, pepper,and rosemary (maybe throw in a chopped onion)
3. put it in a covered baking dish and put it in the oven
4. Set oven to about 350 to 400
5. after about half an hour it should be thawed enough to insert a meat thermometer
6. Cook it until the thermometer reads about 130 (160 for bear meat).
7. eat it breakfast, lunch,and supper with some easy to bake vetetables. I typically use potatoes,onions, brussels sprouts, and mushrooms.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:42 AM   #55
Arkansas Paul

^ I too enjoy the simple methods of cooking where you highlight the flavor of the meat and don't mask it under marinades and sauces. Many times that is what I'm in the mood for.

However, lately I've been making it in the crock pot because that's the only way my wife likes venison.
I'll cut up an onion and cube a couple pounds of deer stew meat, season liberally with your favorite spices and sear it all in a really hot pan. They transfer to the crock pot and cover with beef stock. Add some soy sauce, hot sauce and spicy mustard and let cook overnight on low. The next morning the meat should be falling apart and the majority of the liquid gone. Add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 2 cans of cream of celery soup. You can add beef stock or some beer to get it to your desired consistency. Cook another hour or two and serve over mashed taters and biscuits. Mmmmmmmm it is some kind of good.
Old July 10, 2014, 12:20 PM   #56
short barrel

A fellow gave me some he had canned. Really good tasting and tender. But the best I ever had was on a cold day too far from the truck. It was a young buck. Gutted him, slow roasted a piece of tender loin over a hickory fire. Not a recipe per se, but it is a good way to eat venison and get the real flavor.

Another non-recipe I love is jerky from a dehydrator. Thin slices season with nothing but salt and pepper.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:22 PM   #57

Today we used the last 3 lbs of venison from last years deer.I took three and divided them among the kids families and ourselves.We mixed pure deer burger with chopped onions,peppers and carrots,egg whites,bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.Made patties in a 1/3 cup measuring cup.Pressed them out ,put on the George Foreman grill for 5 minutes and refrigerated.Pull them out of the frig and microwave when ever you want.In 2 months I go after the main ingredient again.