Quantcast
How Many are Now Carrying a Cane? - Page 30 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Do you carry a walking cane?
Always 47 9.96%
Sometimes 191 40.47%
Never 185 39.19%
Concealed Carry is enough 66 13.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23, 2014, 09:57 AM   #726
Carl Levitian

A few of mine. With the exception of the blackthorn, the rest are all made by me from hornbeam, and one rock maple. I just grab one on the way out the door. The People's Republic Of Marylandistan does not allow for CCW, so I carry a stick. Fortunatly most of the street punks around here and 'downtown' in Washington D.C. seem to prefer box cutters and cheap kitchen knives for street mugging. A yard of hornbeam works wonders on a steak knife wielding hand.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:41 AM   #727
glistam

Nice! I always wanted to see what your hornbeams looked like. I have two but none with the root knob. I should go hunting for some after the snow melts, since it's sure to have brought some branches down.
Old January 23, 2014, 01:15 PM   #728
Carl Levitian

Take a small cement or garden trowel with you, so you can dig down around the root to see which way ti goes. I've found round root balls and some angled. The stick on the far right I liked that almost 90 degrees, so it's a very comfortable stick to use when I'm having a bad day and really need a cane. But the round root balls feel feel good too, and I prefer them as they make a but stroke v try easy. The lighter stick is more for block and thrust to targets like face and throat.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:48 PM   #729
Deltaboy

Carl I like your cane holder.
Old January 28, 2014, 11:04 PM   #730
NMPOPS

I carry a walking stick out in the woods, otherwise no.

BTW- Not to be picky but your percentages add up to 109.6% ??
Old March 8, 2014, 09:38 PM   #731
Deltaboy

I am using a cane more with each passing year and I got 2 more years till I am 50.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:02 AM   #732
Carl Levitian

I am using a cane more with each passing year and I got 2 more years till I am 50.

Let me tellya son, it don't get any better as time goes on!!!
Old March 11, 2014, 08:46 AM   #733
Cocked & Locked

Youngsters I say. I'm using a cane more every year and I'm 70.
Old March 12, 2014, 10:21 AM   #734
Carl Levitian

Youngsters I say. I'm using a cane more every year and I'm 70.

It's a combination of years and milage. Your milage may vary.
Old March 12, 2014, 10:54 AM   #735
Deltaboy

Talking

Yes I had to use mine for a visit to the Dr.Pepper and Texas State Sports Hall of Fame yesterday. I woke up to an unhappy right foot and ankle.
Old March 25, 2014, 02:41 PM   #736
craftsman

I have seven - but I made a "flat" 6 cane rack - I'll be donating 2 (a 7/8" octagonal oak cane, from eNasco ... and a hand-made maple) - replacing them with the Cold Steel "Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick". Yes, I'm old and can get through TSA (except with my Cold Steel Heavy Duty Sword Cane) ... "Oh, Can you walk OK without your cane, Sir?" ... sez I: "Yes, I'm OK for a few feet, thank you." My first one was a two piece oak with a brass duck head handle. That's the one that went on the belt to be X-Rayed at the airport. Bought it at Disney World, Epcot, "England" for $25! Thank you, Uncle Walt! LOL
Old March 27, 2014, 10:01 PM   #737
Deltaboy

You will love that Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn cane. I had mine for about 5 years and it tough as nails.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:06 PM   #738
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Levitian View Post

A few of mine. With the exception of the blackthorn, the rest are all made by me from hornbeam, and one rock maple. I just grab one on the way out the door. The People's Republic Of Marylandistan does not allow for CCW, so I carry a stick. Fortunatly most of the street punks around here and 'downtown' in Washington D.C. seem to prefer box cutters and cheap kitchen knives for street mugging. A yard of hornbeam works wonders on a steak knife wielding hand.
I found a brass planter that was as tall as your cane holder so the wife bought it for me . So almost all my canes are in there now.
Old March 28, 2014, 12:26 AM   #739
Big Shrek

After my grandfather passed, I ended up with his Shilleagh and his homemade contraption cane...
which utilized an aluminium archery Stabilizer from the 1976 Olympics with a rubber cane end on the bottom,
and a golf ball threaded on the top covered by a sliced-tennis ball...
the golf ball has since disintergrated, so now I've got an 8-ball that I'm prepping to replace it...
drill, tap, then epoxy should do the trick

Since I sprained my ankle last week, been using the shillelagh and contemplating the other...
the 8-ball would be the perfect top weight, and very handy for defensive strikes vs bad guy or mangy pot-hound.
Old March 28, 2014, 07:59 AM   #740
Carl Levitian

I found a brass planter that was as tall as your cane holder so the wife bought it for me . So almost all my canes are in there now.

That'll work. I've also seen old farm milk cans buffed up and used. The tall ones.
Old March 28, 2014, 12:12 PM   #741
Deltaboy

It is working great.
Old March 30, 2014, 12:36 PM   #742
royal barnes

I walked with a cane for a couple of years but recently went to a walking/ hiking stick. I have one I made and a couple that were given to me. I find that it helps the pain and fatigue in my back if I am standing erect when I am walking rather than slightly bent for my hand to rest on a cane handle. I have my hiking sticks cut to a height that I can rest both hands on top of if I need the support when I am standing. My 4 canes now sit in the corner.
Old March 30, 2014, 03:20 PM   #743
Dirty Bob

Glad it's working for you, Royal. I like hiking sticks also, but generally find a cane blends in better. I recently bought a 5-foot shepherd's crook (stock cane) from a local feed store that might serve your needs and would look like a somewhat tall "cane."

Regards,
Dirty Bob
Old March 31, 2014, 03:43 PM   #744
craftsman

I placed the order for the Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick and non-returning boomerang last night ... from Amazon - - cost avoided shipping, and about $45! Should be in in about a week! I have a friend who used to encase .40 and .50 cal. 3 ft and 4 ft. T-6061 aircraft aluminum tubes in wood to make a walling stick blowgun. I have one he made for me - looks amazing!
Old April 1, 2014, 09:36 PM   #745
Deltaboy

Cool.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:45 PM   #746
Cooldill

No... I don't carry a cane because I don't need one for medical reasons.

I do carry a .38 revolver.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:27 PM   #747
craftsman

I received the "boomerang" last night. Have not had a chance to play with it as yet. It is huge! Well over 2 ft. wide, and heavy. It WILL leave a mark on anything it hits.

If properly thrown, I expect: (a.) It can go 100 yards in a clearing (will head to the HS football field this weekend to play and verify distance), (b.) it can easily break a deer leg, (c.) it can take out most small game (raccoon, squirrel, 'possum, rabbit, goose, pheasant, quail, duck, etc.) ... IN A SURVIVAL SITUATION (don't need folks reminding me that its not legal to hunt with in Pennsylvania). Did some research on "rabbit stick" - that's what this is most like.

Can't wait for the Blackthorn cane to arrive.
Old April 4, 2014, 04:44 PM   #748
Cocked & Locked

I'm interested in what you think about the CS Blackthorn...kinda wanting one.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:43 PM   #749
Carl Levitian

"No... I don't carry a cane because I don't need one for medical reasons.

I do carry a .38 revolver."

That's fine, guns work well. Until you go fly someplace on vacation that does not allow them. Even if the Peoples Republik Of Maryland had CCW, I could never have taken my gun with me to Rome on our tour of the Colosseum. Or our vacation to England, where I got to browse the British Museum for a whole 2 days. But my walking stick went everywhere, even on the plane.
Old April 4, 2014, 07:47 PM   #750
Deltaboy

I got my cold steel blackthorn cane and I love it as I posted earlier Get one and you will love it , they are made like a tank.