Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 57 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1401
Anmut

Joezilla - I have a Galco King Tuk IWB holster that carries my 642 beautifully. I can wear it and not even notice the gun's on my hip.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1402
DAdams

Thanksgiving

May you and your family have a bountiful Thanksgiving.

Old November 24, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1403
Jframenewbee

Anmut,

I bought a Galco TUC 158 and love it. Carries my 442 / 642 perfect in the appendix position. Was at an indoor range yesterday and did a lot of draw & two round shots at 25 & 50yds. Good fun with Crimson Trace on both guns.

J
Old December 24, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1404
fiVe

Merry CHRISTmas!

My last post was too long ago, but I wanted to wish everyone here at the 642 Club a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous, Happy New Year.

I continue to carry my 642 in a Mika Round cut. The durability/quality of Robert Mika's work is unparalleled. This configuration is still perfect for me, and I highly recommend it.

Revolvers rule!

R/fiVe
Old December 24, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1405
308win

Merry Christmas! Best wishes for a happy new year.
I mostly carry my 642 to church in a molded leather belt holster I got from Shannon Caldwell. I still occasionally use one of my three Mika holsters but I don't pocket carry much these days.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old December 25, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1406
fxstchewy

New No-lock!

Just picked it up last week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131222_080207.jpg (36.2 KB, 60 views)
Old December 25, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1407
sixgunner455

Merry Christmas! Coming up on ten years with the 642, and I'm still loving it.

If you can't hit a snake at 20 feet with a 12 gauge, you ain't gonna hit a dove, either. -McGunner
Old December 28, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1408
Camjr

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!

For years I carried my 642 in either a Nemesis or Mika Round Cut depending on the cut of the pocket (usually the Mika). Several months ago, I decided to give OWB a try and picked up a leather pancake holster from The Masters Holsters. For those of that think pocket carry is comfortable and discreet, you should give OWB a try in a pancake. It simply disappears under a t-shirt or polo, and is VERY comfortable.

Cheers!
Old December 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1409
YJake

Another year past and I have carried the 442 several hundred more miles while jogging and countless more throughout my daily ventures. I was worried that the constant exposure to sweat would cause wear on the finish and blued components but it has had no visible impact on the firearms finish. A quick wipe down with a gun cloth seems to be all the preventative maintenance necessary.

I took the gun to the range for the first time in several months and I still shoot tight groups at 7 yards. The gun just feels at home in my hand and carries very well with Hogue Bantam grips.

I apologize for the rant/rave, but it has been several years and I am still thoroughly satisfied with the little J-frame's performance.

-Jake
Old January 18, 2014, 08:23 PM   #1410
msnden

Tony, I really like those grips, have you had a chance to shoot with them? if so what is your opinion? Thanks msn

Old March 5, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1411
WalterSobchak

Great to see all the 642 love. I started cc'ing many years ago and have come full circle back to the first gun I bought the little lady. Learned a hard lesson about buying a firearm for a woman, or any accessory for that matter.

Well now I have been carrying one of my two 642's for the better part of a year and loving it. These ones sans the lock and CT grips the originals wore.

Also just installed some checkered VZ grips and very pleased with the traction and clearance for speed loaders.

Carry on.
Old March 6, 2014, 01:48 AM   #1412
marv

My M642 got its first blood. Had to sedate a very large German Shepherd that had 20' of hoist chain wrapped around my patio roof post. I carry it with WWB 125 JHP +P. Very effective.
Old May 3, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1413
Hometeached1

Bought a Galco Pocket protecter for my 642 three weeks ago and it's holding up well. I really like it for pants with larger pockets over the Blackhawk #3, the #3 will still see some use, but only with the pants with smaller pockets.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old May 3, 2014, 05:55 PM   #1414
Tony_the_tiger

Quote:
Tony, I really like those grips, have you had a chance to shoot with them? if so what is your opinion? Thanks msn
Sorry for the late reply!

Those are a pair of Altamont silver/blacks with crocback checkering and the S&W lasermark, made of Dymondwood. I got them as a gift from S&W after my ejector rod unscrewed itself from recoil and locked up the gun past my ability to fix it.

I really like them because they are the best grips I have found that allow me to get an appropriate grip on them when I carry in my pocket, and they draw easy out of the pocket (no snagging).

For shooting, I have found them to be relatively similar to other wood style grips on J frames - brutal! That said I do like the way my hand feels around them and the crocback checkering isn't too aggressive.

For all practical purposes, the benefits of being able to draw well and with a good grip outweight any perceived or real benefit I might get from synthetic stocks on the 442. Plus they look pretty cool, so they are growing on me despite my skepticism about Dymondwood. Very functional IMHO.
Old May 3, 2014, 07:44 PM   #1415
benzy2

I just joined the club this week. I grabbed a 642 Talo edition. Put on some crimson trace grips. It is a keeper. I'm not sure how the trigger feels on others, or the ones that didn't go through the PC but this one is staying with me for good. I liked the grips that came with it and swapped them to a 3" m36 that needed some update. Range report and pictures tomorrow.
Old May 5, 2014, 04:15 AM   #1416
Lightsped

I have the current S&W catalog and in the catalog is lists the 442/642 as weighing 15oz. On the next page over it lists the 642 LadySmith as weighing in at 14.5oz. Why the difference? Both are DAO. Both are aluminum framed with stainless cylinders.....
Old May 5, 2014, 04:23 AM   #1417
sixgunner455

Lightsped - the 642 has synthetic, or rubber, grips. They are made of a synthetic rubber with metal internal reinforcements. The 642LS, the Ladysmith, has wood grips. The wood grips are actually lighter than the synthetic in most cases I have seen in the S&W line. In this case, evidently, they are half an ounce lighter.

If you can't hit a snake at 20 feet with a 12 gauge, you ain't gonna hit a dove, either. -McGunner
Old May 5, 2014, 04:25 AM   #1418
sixgunner455

Congratulations, and welcome to the club, benzy2! It's a great, über reliable little pocket rocket.

Old May 7, 2014, 10:52 AM   #1419
xds9fan

I listen to Philip Marlowe, sam spade, Johnny Dollar and of course the awesome Richard Diamond on my iphone. Many a snub nose 38's in those old radio shows.......I just smile and think of my 642!!!

Im having thoughts of getting a 442.......(dumb question coming) Anybody have more than one x42 series gun?
Old May 7, 2014, 05:39 PM   #1420
Hometeached1

XDS9fan,
Welcome to THR! To answer your question, yes and no. No I do not, yes I would if I was not just starting to build up my arsenal (cough)... I mean my collection.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:03 AM   #1421
fiVe

Just wanted to wish the club a Happy 9th Birthday!

The 642 in a Mika round-cut is still the best configuration for me.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1422
DAdams

KiNg FiVe, good to see you around these parts. Hard to believe it has been 9 years!
Many handguns later my 642 is yet in the fold. I checked a couple days ago and it's in a small safe in the master bath linen closet with some bear spray and a flashlight. Still loaded with standard pressure buffalo bore and currently wearing the larger Crimson Trace Grips.
Best Regards to all J Frame Centennial lovers.
MSA
Relax, smoke if you gottem, even if they are electronic.
Old August 1, 2014, 02:12 PM   #1423
OhiaBoy

I hate to admit that after having my 642 laying for ...."a while"..... I finally got a chance to shoot it. Way more enjoyable to shoot than I expected!
Old August 1, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1424
308win

Where in Ohio? I am in the Columbus area.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old August 1, 2014, 08:16 PM   #1425
OhiaBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308win View Post
Where in Ohio? I am in the Columbus area.

I'm in Lima