Quantcast
Best meal in the field - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 9, 2014, 07:45 PM   #26
rcmodel

And he didn't even tell you about pulling the fence staples out to get the barb wire loose with his teeth!

rc
Old June 9, 2014, 08:00 PM   #27
gamestalker

No nothing like that RC, just using what was available to make it come together over an open fire.

We've also made a grill a time or two by using scrap barb wire. Weaving the pieces makes for a good sturdy grill when your son has forgotten the grill, yet again for the millionth time. Doesn't work so hot for cooking beans on though, they always seem to fall right through?

GS
Old June 9, 2014, 08:10 PM   #28
blarby
Contributing Member

Everyday fare ? Mountain house. ORegon made, prepack goodness that actually tastes good.

Best ever ? Thats a toughy.... But steak on a stick thats been swishing around in italian dressing in your pack for the last of that 12 hour hump tastes about as good as its likely to get.

Best kit ever ? Jetboil. Period, 100%, no joke, I've had my fair share of camping kit, and that baby is irreplaceable. Many fake ones... they all suck. Get the real deal, with the Ti cup, and the french press insert for coffee.

Everything the jetboil can't do, your fire and a stick can.

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old June 9, 2014, 08:15 PM   #29
short barrel

For me it is the breast of a grouse cooked slowly over a hardwood fire.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:35 PM   #30
gspn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarby View Post

Best kit ever ? Jetboil. Period, 100%, no joke, I've had my fair share of camping kit, and that baby is irreplaceable. Many fake ones... they all suck. Get the real deal, with the Ti cup, and the french press insert for coffee.

Everything the jetboil can't do, your fire and a stick can.
Muy interesante. I was just looking at a Jetboil to replace my old Peak 1 camp stove. Love the idea of the french press insert.
Memo to all nsa, fbi, cia, dia, dea, atf, mba, aok, fmj, kgb, MI5, and any others that might be listeneing/reading/tracking my metadata...i share this computer with an old lady, an ex-con, a priest, a used car salesman, a military veteran, a pacifist, a vegetarian, a hunter, a circus midget, a Panamanian strong man, and a chihuahua...so any data you have will be random and useless...good luck.

My outdoors blog…stories about hunting, fishing, and life:

http://southernoutdoorsman.blogspot.com
Old June 9, 2014, 09:21 PM   #31
Sun Tzu warrior

Best for me, cooked in a dutch oven cooked with the coal method, venison (whatever kind you have, but I wouldn't use the tenderloins) with enough of this mixture to cover meat; 1 jar of mild pepperoncini peppers, 16 ounce can of beer (cheaper the better, I don't drink it anyway) 1 can of beef broth. when the meat is falling apart it's done. Eat on french bread, or for those of us who can't get that use "hoggie" rolls.

Second best, marinate (your favorite) strips of venison, cut the size of your index finger. spoon some cream cheese into a quarter de-seeded jalapeno pepper. (cut long ways) put the meat with the pepper, wrap in bacon and cook til the bacon is done. You can substitute onion for the pepper if you wish.
STW
Old June 10, 2014, 02:34 AM   #32
ZeroJunk

Bow hunting for elk we used to take some time during the middle of the day and catch a few cut throats. We took the two piece stove out of the tent and borrowed a grate out of the cook tent, stuck it between the two halves and smoked the trout on aspen coals. Pretty good.

Back when we could dove hunt in the mornings opening day I would fry bacon and eggs on the back of the truck on a coleman stove. Then I would fry doves in the bacon grease. Pretty good too.
Old June 12, 2014, 08:20 PM   #33
herkyguy

pile up some dried out grass. cover with small sticks. apply lighter. Let it burn down a bit, add some bigger wood, let it settle, then crack a can of Bush's baked beans and set in the middle. after 3-4 minutes, good to go.

for me, that's as good as it gets. out in the woods, my woods, by myself....
Old June 12, 2014, 09:45 PM   #34
kbbailey

What a great thread!
I have had many a fine shore-lunch on various lakes in Ontario over the years. Walleye fried in a huge old skillet, baked beans, fried potatoes. Smoked Lake trout too. Pretty hard to beat!
A can of whatever soup I can scrounge from Mrs kb's pantry heated at the edge of an open fire during 'muzzle-loader only' season is an annual ritual for me.
Old June 16, 2014, 09:37 PM   #35
gbran

Bacon, eggs, pan fried toast, venison, venison sausage, elk, quail. We do this every thanksgiving.

Old June 17, 2014, 10:55 PM   #36
Geno

That picture makes me want to yell, "WOLVERINES!!!"

Awesome thread, OP!

For me, fresh caught pan fish, sunfish, bluegill, etc. Same day's ram kill, grilling up the tender loins, while the guide played guitar and sang. Too many awesome experiences to detail them all.

Geno

Guns are good;
Guns are great;
Please Lord help those who us hate.
Give us this day our daily lead,
and hunting land we’ll call a spread.
If I should die here on this day,
I pray for guns in Heaven with which to play.

Amen,

Doc2005
02-Nov-2006
Old June 17, 2014, 11:14 PM   #37
RPRNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
That picture makes me want to yell, "WOLVERINES!!!"

Geno
Indeed!!!!

Best field meals I ever ate were with the Land Rover Owners of Malaysia. We would wheel through truly horrific leech infested jungle trails all day, set up camp at night and our ethnic Chinese members would set up these amazing field kitchens and begin cooking serious meals under tarps. They would invariably take pity on me with my cooler of beer and soggy sandwiches. I particularly remember freshly cooked Fried Char Kway Teow, a noodle dish and one of my favorites, in the Cameron Highlands.
Old June 18, 2014, 11:03 AM   #38
Arkansas Paul

Mine probably doesn't count because we have a cookshack with several hot plates.

But anyway, cubed wild turkey breast marinated in Italian dressing and then breaded and pan fried. My god it is so good. We do it a couple times each deer season.

It is indoors though in our cookshack (an old office trailer) cooked on an electric plate, so there ya go.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:27 PM   #39
der Teufel

I'm now retired, but this goes back several decades to when I was a teenager. My Explorer Scout post went on a hunting trip in East Texas in the Davy Crockett National Forest. We arrived Friday after dark, and one of the rangers there had prepared a meal of venison chili over a fire. Back then it was illegal to shoot spiked bucks, and they had arrested someone who had shot a spike and confiscated the deer. They used it to fix chili for us, and it was really good. We were not expecting it, so it was a double delight.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:57 PM   #40
Joe Demko

Raw pancetta, some fresh bread, an olive tapenade I made myself, raw cucumber and plum tomato, all washed down with a very bold Amarone. I did all the slicing with a Cold Steel Tanto. This was on a survival skills weekend workshop. The other people involved were eating backpacker type stuff that looked and smelled rather loathesome. The way they were eye-loving the stuff my companion and I were enjoying, I don't think it tasted any better. As the evening grew chill, it was clear they envied the wine. I thought it best just to not mention the flask of Cognac.
Old June 18, 2014, 03:54 PM   #41
JRH6856

Texas blue crab, boiled in seawater and crab boil spices in a washtub on the beach. Toss in some red potatoes first and when they are almost done, toss in the crabs.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old June 18, 2014, 04:06 PM   #42
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
Raw pancetta, some fresh bread, an olive tapenade I made myself, raw cucumber and plum tomato, all washed down with a very bold Amarone. I did all the slicing with a Cold Steel Tanto
I started to ask you if you held your pinky out when you drank the Amarone but since you cut everything with a Cold Steel Tanto, you get a pass.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:27 PM   #43
Joe Demko

As it happens, I did hold out my pinky when I drank, as did my companion (a very lovely and accomplished woman with whom I wish things had gone differently). The thing is that we were passing the bottle back and forth and drinking straight from it. Any man who goes on an outing without a corkscrew-bearing SAK or similar is ill-prepared to tame the wilderness.
I also brought smoked Provolone cheese, hard boiled eggs, prosciutto, some really nice bagels, dark chocolate, some fresh fruit, a bottle of Merlot, and a bialetti espresso pot with a can of sterno to heat it. Where everyone else just survived, we thrived. When you don't have to march 20 miles carrying a ton of weapons and gear, there is no reason to subject yourself to crap like MREs and that nastyass dehydrated stuff they sell in camping stores.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:41 PM   #44
MtnCreek

Joe Demko,
I'd say things not going as you would have liked was Not due to a lack of trying on your part. :-) Thanks for posting; I got a kick out of it.
Old June 18, 2014, 07:33 PM   #45
splattergun

It's a toss-up between brown trout just 5 minutes out of the river, or a venison tenderloin still warm from the buck. Both broiled over an open fire built at the site and at the time of the harvest. No seasoning but smoke. THat's good eating, folks.

“Thieves for their robbery have authority,
When judges steal themselves.”
Measure f. Measure, ii. 2.
Old June 23, 2014, 10:37 PM   #46
SSGT PRIDE

Fresh killed and skinned rattlesnake (7 feet long) (We get bigguns here in KY!) Rolled in meal and flour....salt and pepper and Iron skillet fried...Serve with a toasted Brioche roll and a salad!
Old June 27, 2014, 10:26 AM   #47
Blue Line

scrambled eggs and bacon, my Dad made em on the coleman stove I still use today 50 years later. Was it the food or the Cook, wonder what my son will say in 50 years?

Last edited by Blue Line; June 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old June 27, 2014, 11:37 AM   #48
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
No seasoning but smoke. THat's good eating, folks.
That sounds terrible. lol

Sadly, I am very spoiled. Gotta have salt and black pepper. LOTS of black pepper.
Old June 27, 2014, 12:49 PM   #49
cat_IT_guy

Quote:
scrambled eggs and bacon, my Dad made em on the coleman stove I still use today 50 years later. Was it the food or the Cook, wonder what my son will say in 50 years?
Well said. Sometimes it more about memories than actual food. Some of my best memories of food are camping with dad, cooking nothing more exciting than corned beef hash and eggs - but man are they good on a chilly morning. Makes me want to go camping......
Old June 27, 2014, 03:37 PM   #50
Sav .250

Nothing bets steaks on the grill. Nothing. JMHO We have a grill at the camp.