Quantcast
Stupid question: are the .308 Garands legal in CMP Garand matches? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Competition Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 24, 2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Detritus

Stupid question: are the .308 Garands legal in CMP Garand matches?

Ok, this is one of those question I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but, I want to make sure I'm correct before I spend any money.

As the title states, are the various Garands out there, including the CMP "Special" grades so configured, that are chambered in .308 rather than 30-06 legal for use in the CMP Garand matches?

Going to be passing through Anniston AL (home of the CMP South Store) in about 3 weeks and am planning on stopping in at the CMP Store and possibly purchasing a Garand. reply to the E-mail I sent asking about available inventory stated that currently the south store has some field grade 30-06s and Specials in .308, and to check back closer to time of my trip.
What I would most like is a CMP Special in 30-06. But if the .308 chambered versions are legal for use in Garand matches, and the south store has .308 but not 30-06 Special Grade rifles on hand, I would likely "go with the flow" so to speak.

thank you for your time

The vast majority of the Web seems to be ruled by sexually-oriented stuff; can't we have a little corner here to talk about innocent things like politics and deadly weapons? [Orthonym THR 10-27-02]

All hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet away you couldn't tell the difference. – Terry Pratchett
Old June 24, 2014, 10:20 PM   #2
rcmodel

See page 27 & 28 of the rule book.

http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/CMPGamesRules.pdf

rc
Old June 24, 2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Detritus

thank you

The vast majority of the Web seems to be ruled by sexually-oriented stuff; can't we have a little corner here to talk about innocent things like politics and deadly weapons? [Orthonym THR 10-27-02]

All hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet away you couldn't tell the difference. – Terry Pratchett
Old June 25, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Laphroaig

Check out pg. 38, rule 5.2.6. The CMP also has an "unlimited Garand" classification. I know you could compete in the JC Garand match at Perry in that classification. Maybe in the regional "games" too.

Laphroaig

Last edited by Laphroaig; June 25, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old June 25, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Mikee Loxxer

I do shoot my .308 Garand in our local reduced course CMP matches. The match director knows what I am using and is okay with it. Were it a LEG match it would be an issue. But since no distinguished points are at stake everyone's easy going about it. Besides I'm never one of the top scorers anyways
Its is always interesting to hear people complain about how products should cost less and at the same time complain that they should make more. Its as if they want to make a lot of money but think everyone else should work for nothing.
Old June 25, 2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Detritus

Quote:
I do shoot my .308 Garand in our local reduced course CMP matches. The match director knows what I am using and is okay with it. Were it a LEG match it would be an issue. But since no distinguished points are at stake everyone's easy going about it.
Pretty sure I'd have the same here as well. But since it's sort of a right on the edge thing, and since most likely this will be the one and Only garand I ever purchase. I think I'll hold out for one in 30-06, be it a "Special" or a decent condition Service grade.

Old June 26, 2014, 01:52 PM   #7
rcmodel

I think I read somewhere sometime that the .308 Navy conversions were legal 'as issued' for matches.

But that isn't what the CMP is selling.

rc