Quantcast
Iver Johnson's 32 cal. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Firearms Research

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 1, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Jrmurray75

Iver Johnson's 32 cal.

Just inherited an IJ 32 cal 5 shot revolver with great family history and I am hoping to find out a little info about it. Serial # is S324xx. Patent dates on butt of handle June 16, 96. Aug 25, 96. Top Break. 5 shot. Hammer. I'm looking to narrow down manufacture date. And any info on what I can use to try to unfreeze hammer and cylinder. I don't think it will ever shoot again (if it ever did) but it would be nice for the parts to function again. Thanks. Jonathan Murray
Old July 1, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
rcmodel

See this to help ID it.

http://www.american-firearms.com/ame...e%20Works.html

Then take the grips off and soak in penetrating oil for a few days to cut the rust and crud and see if you can get it turning again.

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Pen.../dp/B000F09CF4

rc
Old July 1, 2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Jrmurray75

Will the penetrating oil damage the areas where the nickel is flaking?
- Jonathan
Old July 1, 2014, 10:06 PM   #4
rcmodel

Probably.

But if it does, the plating has rust under it and is coming off anyway.

You can't really have your cake & eat it too when it comes to unfreezing a froze up gun that old.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; July 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old July 1, 2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Ron James

Your Iver Johnson was made in 1907 which makes it a black powder frame.
Old July 2, 2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Old Fuff

Quote:
Then take the grips off and soak in penetrating oil for a few days to cut the rust and crud and see if you can get it turning again.
Take the grips off, but do so carefully, and do not try to pry them off after removing the screw. With age they will have become brittle and chip or crack easily.

While you have the grips off inspect the side of the frame/handle. You should find the serial number and maybe a letter prefix. That letter is critical because Iver Johnson recycled numbers. Also look at the inside of the grips for a scratched or pencil-written serial No. If it matches the frame those grips were hand fitted to that revolver.

After a second look I see the letter might be a "S" that on my monitor looked like a "5".
Old July 2, 2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Ron James

S is what I was going by, If it is an S then he already has the grips off. Also the patent dates he listed also date it to 1907/11 and the S dates it to 1907. Iver Johnson didn't go to a stronger " smokeless " frame until 1909.
Old July 3, 2014, 08:53 AM   #8
4v50 Gary

It's probably locked up by gummed up oil or grease (or even worse, rust). Post a picture of it.
Old July 3, 2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Jrmurray75

Trying to figure out how to upload multiple photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.0 KB, 25 views)
Old July 3, 2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Jrmurray75

This one too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.6 KB, 11 views)
Old July 3, 2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Jrmurray75

And here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.4 KB, 16 views)
Old July 3, 2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Jrmurray75

Uno mas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.7 KB, 10 views)
Old July 4, 2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Old Fuff

The very well done photographs show that the revolver has old-style (black powder) notches in the cylinder. For an over-a-century-old gun the plating is in pretty good shape, and a solvent-soak shouldn't hurt it too much. I use Marvel Mystery Oil, that is usually found at automobile service stores or departments. When you are done save it in the original container because it can be used over.
Old July 5, 2014, 08:11 AM   #14
JohnBT

What happened to the front sight? Was there one? Here's my grandfather's 3" .32.

F69553, with "PAT'D.APR.6.86.FEB.15.87.MAY 10.87.AUG.25.96 PAT'S PENDING" on the barrel.

"manufactured from 1897 - 1899, serial number with A, E or F letter prefix"

I guess he bought it used - he was born in 1891.