Quantcast
Ankle Holster - Good idea, or Bad? - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 8, 2014, 08:03 PM   #26
PRM

I've used ankle holsters since the mid-70s. In the summer it's an option for jeans and a t-shirt attire. Beats not having a gun. The only negative I have ever experienced was the thumb break snap coming undone. My ankle holsters now have been professionally altered (local leather shop) to use a Velcro strap instead of the snap. I generally pocket carry these days for both comfort and ease of acquisition.

Not sure about the size of the Shield? I have carried a J Frame, small frame Beretta, and an NAA Guardian in this manner. The smaller/lighter the gun, the more comfortable it is.
Old July 9, 2014, 02:01 PM   #27
herrwalther

I have ankle carried in the past, not so much anymore since I am not urban living anymore. I would never consider ankle carry a good idea for a primary firearm, but adequate for a backup firearm, magazine, knife, flashlight etc. Primary firearms need to be easily and quickly accessible, for most people that is on or in the waistband on the dominant hand side. It would take much more practice to draw from an ankle as quickly as drawing from the waist while maintaining safety, conceal ability, comfort, practicality and so on.

The smaller the firearm is on your ankle, the better. This will help with comfort as well as keeping it concealed. Not everyone can ankle carry a Beretta 92FS like Arnold can. In general the largest firearm you would want to carry on the ankle is the size of a Glock 26, as most holsters will fit that firearm or similar size.