Quantcast
avoiding ear damage with powerful rifles - Page 7 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 26, 2014, 10:29 PM   #151
hso

Quote:
Maybe even active ANRs.
Quote:
Do they respond quickly enough to be effective against gunshot noise?
ANRs work for machine noise, but don't work for impact/explosion/gunshot. There is currently no noise canceling technology responsive enough for gunshots so the best you can do is wear properly inserted HIGH NRR plugs under muffs.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 1, 2014, 09:52 PM   #152
Big Shrek

Even a hat with an ear flap is better than nothing at all, but get the plugs & muffs too.
Its a whole lot better than having to ask folks to repeat themselves...

I did a lot of 80's rock concerts & shooting all sortsa fun stuff over the decades...
Remember those old Army ballcaps with the flap?? That was often all I used with an M60...

I definitely don't catch as much as I used to...although I do hear odd noises quite clearly...
cracks my Wifey up that I can't hear her, but I can hear a creak from a door half a block away...
Protect yer ears...eventually, they'll have problems...
the more you do now, the less you'll have to miss later.
Old July 1, 2014, 10:33 PM   #153
Hullraiser

I've had tinnitus for years and always use some type of protection when shooting anything over a 22 short. It's not always convenient but necessary. The best is to use plugs and muffs. Over last weekend , I grabbed a SKS to rid my pond of a large snapping turtle from the deck. I quickly grabbed some electronic muffs only and now the ringing has increased again. In the future I'll make time to insert the plugs first. I would still use even if I had a suppressor
Old July 10, 2014, 04:43 PM   #154
KSDeputy

Hearing loss is real. I am a retired deputy sheriff with 30 years of service. When I first joined the office we went to the range and used no ear protection, no eye protection. No one knew back then that shooting with no ear protection caused cumulative permanent hearing loss. I must wear $ 3,500 hearing aids. My right ear is much worse than the left. I am right handed, and went to the range 4x a year for many years until someone discovered how dangerous it was to shoot without ear protection. It was too late for me and many other deputies. Please ALWAYS use ear and eye protection when shooting, save your hearing. Do not let something fly out and take your eye(s) out either. Take care of yourself, no one else will.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:43 AM   #155
ClayinAR

My hearing doctor says part of the damage is caused by concussion, no hearing protection works against that.
Plugs and muffs do help, but understand that big guns are going to do damage regardless.
Too late for me.