Quantcast
Winchester 94 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 11, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Arizonan

Winchester 94

I have a 1984 angel eject 30-30. Anyone scope these. I prefer the natural sites myself. Thinking a peep site my be the way to go. On my Marlin 336 I am going to put Skinner sites on it.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:46 PM   #2
4thPointOfContact

I have a 'scout scope' mount from Wild West Guns that replaced my rear sight and fits quite well. Unfortunately last time I was on their site, they seemed to only have Marlin accessories. An email inquiring wouldn't hurt.

I've also had good luck with XS Sight Systems Lever Scout mount. I got the XS rear sight as well, which nearly doubles the sight radius.

To be honest, I think it's better than any other I've seen for the '94 as it's long enough to allow either conventional or 'scout' mounting and still retains a fairly low profile.

Right now, my '94AE wears a Burris TRS-25, looking similar to this (the rifle, Not the shooter.)
Old July 11, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
jmr40

Personal preference. They all generally work as designed. I'd either use it as is, or if I want optics I find a small scope such as a 1-4X20 mounted conventionally to work best.
Old July 11, 2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Shifty

My Winchester 1894 .357 doesn't really need a scope and I've been very happy with the XS ghost ring sights I put on it.

And your title typo made me smile, if it ejects angels, what goes downrange? :-)
Old July 11, 2014, 05:55 PM   #5
ECVMatt

My .357 Trapper has XS sights and they are great! I would highly recommend them. It is easy to make hits out to 100 yards.

Old July 11, 2014, 10:33 PM   #6
midland man

my Winchester model 94 is angle eject and I have the raised mounts for seeing the sights plus I have a fixed 4x32 scope on it and I have no trouble with mine the hulls never touch the scope and works perfect!
Old July 11, 2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Hardtarget

I put Williams peep sights on mine several years ago. I just like the way peep sights look on a '94. It comes down to what you like to shoot.

Mark
Old July 12, 2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Carl

Depends. Is it a pre '64? If yes, then I'd leave it as it is.
Old July 12, 2014, 04:56 PM   #9
firme67

XS Ghost Rings

I also have a 94AE 30-30 that I would like to change sights on. I guess I like the looks of the XS ghost rings. However, I am not sure which XS sight to choose. What are the differences between these? Ramp or no ramp? Thanks.https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8508

4thPoint: what brand of ghost ring is on the rifle in ur top picture? looks different than the xs ones in ECVMatt pics

will the ghost ring work with a hooded front sight?

thanks
Old July 12, 2014, 09:11 PM   #10
ECVMatt

Both of the rifles pictured above do not have a ramped front sight.

If your rifle looks like this:

Then you have a ramped front site. I am not too sure how well XS sights would work with a hood. I would probably remove the hood.

I have the same rear sight as the first rifle, but XS takes better pictures!

Hope this helps,

Matt

Last edited by ECVMatt; July 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old July 12, 2014, 10:25 PM   #11
Don McDowell

I've scoped a 94ae, and I've went with the Williams FP sights, prefer the fp. The One Ragged Hole sight is also great on those ae's that just wear the post on the front sight. Not sure that sight is made any more, but Marbles offers one that works on the same priniciple. The nice thing is it keeps the clean lines and handling characteristics.
Old July 13, 2014, 02:26 AM   #12
M1GarandDeerHunter

My Winchester 94 trapper has William peep sights and my 336 Marlin has the same. I have toyed with the idea of a forward mounted scope with the peeps for backup. I may still try it, I like the system because I have a Ruger New Frontier that works so nicely. But one thing about open or peep sights, they make the gun smooth looking and they handle quickly set up like that. Plus they are plenty accurate too.
Old July 27, 2014, 03:01 PM   #13
firme67

94AE with ramped front

Thanks ECV

so my 30-30 94AE has a ramped front sight like in post #10 above. Then is this the correct xs ghost ring sight to order?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/362051/xs-ghost-ring-hunting-sight-set-winchester-94-angle-eject-with-front-ramp-steel-matte

Also if anyone is using this on a 94 with the ramped front, how do you like it, and do you have to leave the hood off the front or can you put it back on? Which aperture works best, the large or small?

Thanks.