Quantcast
Working a Bolt Action Lefty Style - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 12, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Joshua M. Smith

Working a Bolt Action Lefty Style

Hi Folks,

I was asked on another board about sling positions and how do I work the bolt action on a rifle, anyway, without dismounting from my shoulder? I took pics and figured I'd post them here as well in the hopes it might help someone.

Hasty Hasty sling:

Hasty sling:

I hope this was informative. A lefty bolt is nice, but not necessary, and the lefty need not suffer due to a bolt action on the wrong side!

Regards,

Josh

I would like to buy your Mosin-Nagant front sights. Please PM me for details.
Old July 12, 2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Noah

I shoot rifles left handed, often using a hasty, hast hasty, or loop sling. For a left handed bolt gun without a scope, I use the exact same "reach over" method, it's hardly a hindrance, if it even is one at all. It's especially plausible on Mosins, with the nice straight bolt handle, but it works on my brother's Enfield as well.

For a gun with a normally mounted scope, vs irons or a scout scope, A left handed action is *almost* a necessity, unfortunately.
Old July 13, 2014, 12:42 AM   #3
4v50 Gary

I learned the same thing years ago. Good pictures.

BTW, my teacher told me about a southpaw friend of his who lowered the rifle to work the action. After years of doing this, his friend finally bought a left handed rifle. He fired, lowered the rifle and found no bolt there. After that his friend went back to right handed rifles.
Old July 13, 2014, 12:56 AM   #4
M1GarandDeerHunter

4x50 LOL! I did the same thing after shooting a left hand rifle. Muscle memory is a hard thing to break.

Nice pics, that is how I work my Mosins and old military bolt guns. I especially like the Mosin Nagant because of the straight bolt. Same with Swed mausers. Being a lefty means you learn to adapt, and thinking differently about how to operate things. Thanks.

PS Josh those are some nice looking sights. Also I noticed you mount your front part of your sling a little different.
Old July 13, 2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Joshua M. Smith

Garand, it keeps the barrel from being pulled out of line.

Those Mosin straps were always meant to be just carry straps, but the relatively soft canvas makes for some of the most comfortable sling material I've found to date for using a sling to shoot.

Josh

I would like to buy your Mosin-Nagant front sights. Please PM me for details.
Old July 13, 2014, 09:20 AM   #6
DM~

That doesn't bring back any good memories! lol

THANK GOD I don't have to do that any longer! I HATED having to reach over, to bolt the action! It slowed me down and I became a much better hunter/shooter once I bought the proper equipment and got comfortable with it!

DM
Old July 13, 2014, 08:30 PM   #7
M1GarandDeerHunter

Makes sense to put the sling back a little further so the strap doesnt lever the barrel over. You are right, those slings are robust and comfy.