Quantcast
I Messed Up, Need Ideas! Stuck BoreSnake - Page 4 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old July 27, 2012, 08:09 PM   #76
Onward Allusion

^^^
Then you shouldn't have problems, then.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 13, 2014, 04:45 PM   #77
robman8023

I had a solution that worked for me, and I joined this forum just to share it:

I had a stuck bore snake just like the OP, and I used a 12" long 1/8" Milwaukee Drill bit purchased at Home Depot. I GENTLY inserted the drill bit into the barrel, carefully and slowly twisting it to grab the fibers of the nylon rope. Once it bit, I pulled on it and withdrew a few fibers. My plan was to eat away at the fibers slow and steady until the snake broke loose or deteriorated completely. Luckily, upon the second round, it bit into the nylon, and didn't let go. I was able to pull the snake completely through the barrel without issue. In my case, it was stuck in an AR and I was able to cut the brass brush off the end of the rope.

The bit is about 12" long and cost $5 at Home Depot. It was a last resort, as I was reluctant to use a drill bit inside of the barrel for fear of marring it, but I was really careful and there appears to be no damage to the barrel whatsoever.

Hope this helps someone else in the future with the same issue...
Old July 13, 2014, 11:02 PM   #78
Murphys Law

Lots of good possibilities have been suggested but I would try and contact the customer service dept. of the bore snake manufacturer and see if they have a recommendation. I"m sure your not the first to person to do something like this and they may have already worked out a safe solution.
Old July 13, 2014, 11:14 PM   #79
Jim Watson

He melted it out nearly two years ago.
Old July 13, 2014, 11:15 PM   #80
R H Clark

Well, I hope he has got it out by now.LOL
Old July 13, 2014, 11:56 PM   #81
gamestalker

You could try putting some axle grease, hand lotion, or what ever will have some decent weight or consistency to it, down the muzzle. Then use a brass or wooden dowel with a patch wrapped around it to create a seal, then pound it out with a mallet, it should pop right out. Nothing will defeat hydraulics.

Another option, find a bullet that is relatively smaller than the bore, wrap a patch, condom, or something that will as well create a seal, and then tap against it with a mallet, or the like, with the same as above hydraulic effect.

One or two sharp hits should pop it out.

GS
Old July 13, 2014, 11:58 PM   #82
gamestalker

I just noticed it was over 2 yrs. ago. Wow.

GS
Old July 14, 2014, 12:02 AM   #83
Robert

Two year old thread that was taken care of then.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Closed Thread