Quantcast
SIG P-250 - The Perfect Handgun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 16, 2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Go For Broke

SIG P-250 - The Perfect Handgun

Okay, I love the Sig P-250.

But what's up with the rear sight being integrated with the safety thingy?

Does anyone have a reasonable excuse that SIG promotes?

Thanks,
Old July 17, 2014, 08:42 AM   #2
MikeJackmin

I'm guessing here...

I think the original design lacked the safety - it's a double action pistol, after all, and there's no reason why a properly engineered, lightweight firing pin backed by a spring would present any sort of a drop hazard. I think that the safety was a very late addition, driven either by a regulation in some important market, or perhaps because of an ignition problem what required a heavier firing pin. Then I think they stuffed it into the rear sight like that to minimize the number of parts that would have to be changed.

This is purely speculative, a result of staring at the thing and trying to second-guess what they were thinking.

Nobody in the after-market sight business wants to assume the liability of replacing a safety feature, so that pretty much killed any hope of support for the P250 platform. Personally, I'm quite happy with the sights so it's not a problem for me, but I'm guessing you won't see any more designers embracing this approach.

Is the P250 the perfect gun? It's perfect for the niche _I_ have for it... a modern bulldog revolver, a small heavy, with windex-bottle simplicity. I hope the modular concept catches on, but we'll see.

Speaking of modularity, I've long argued that the world need a lightweight, pistol-caliber, double-action carbine for home defense use by non gun-enthusiasts. Something that is light and handy, recoils gently, hits hard enough to matter, is forgiving of a lack of trigger discipline, and has a manual of arms no more complex than a double action revolver. A P250 carbine could be an awesome thing.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old July 17, 2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
SIG P-250 - The Perfect Handgun
Perfect for what?

Perfect for failing in just about every test for adoption by a law enforcement agency (ATF, Dutch Police, etc.)?

There is a reason SIG expanded SP2022 production and has introduced the P320 while their marketing has been quietly sweeping the P250 under the rug.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Sal1911A1

P250 Perfection

P250 Perfection!!!

I love the P250 as well. So many shooters bad mouth the P250 and never held or shot one. We have a whole generation of shooters and instructors that never shot a DAO revolver or DAO anything.

I hear it all the time about the P250. I guess shooters want a fast short trigger with a handgun for super quick split times.

The P250 has so many great features:

proper grip size to shooter

Fantastic DAO trigger

The best ergonomic of any handgun I felt.

No sharp edges enclosed no snag hammer

Magazines are quality. Night sights available.

Conversion Kits a big plus, I just received my 9mm carry kit and shot a few hundred, it ran perfect.

High capacity my 45 carry has 9 in the mag one in the pipe for ten rounds.

100 percent reliable

The gun is so simple not much can go wrong with it.

I can go on but you get it.

Look at all the P320 lovers coming out, The P250 has all the features but in DAO but it's the first pistol they dismiss.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1911A1 View Post
P250 Perfection!!!

I love the P250 as well. So many shooters bad mouth the P250 and never held or shot one. We have a whole generation of shooters and instructors that never shot a DAO revolver or DAO anything.

I hear it all the time about the P250. I guess shooters want a fast short trigger with a handgun for super quick split times.

The P250 has so many great features:

proper grip size to shooter

Fantastic DAO trigger

The best ergonomic of any handgun I felt.

No sharp edges enclosed no snag hammer

Magazines are quality. Night sights available.

Conversion Kits a big plus, I just received my 9mm carry kit and shot a few hundred, it ran perfect.

High capacity my 45 carry has 9 in the mag one in the pipe for ten rounds.

100 percent reliable

The gun is so simple not much can go wrong with it.

I can go on but you get it.

Look at all the P320 lovers coming out, The P250 has all the features but in DAO but it's the first pistol they dismiss.
I agree with those points as well. I just purchased a P-250 in 9mm. at the end of June and it is a very nice gun. Good ergonomic grip, easy to use, night sights, easy takedown and reassembly. A shame it gets badmouthed.
I understand people have their preferences in guns. I do too. But I won't say that a gun I do not "like" is a bad gun .... just that it is not my "cup of tea."
We all have our tastes in these things.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:38 PM   #6
browningguy

Well I don't like dao pistols, so that would automatically kick it out of the best category.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Gun Master

Perfect Handgun ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For Broke View Post
Okay, I love the Sig P-250.

But what's up with the rear sight being integrated with the safety thingy?

Does anyone have a reasonable excuse that SIG promotes?

Thanks,
What about the P-210 ?

Also, what about the price ?

I love it, but can't afford it .

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old July 17, 2014, 08:44 PM   #8
Sal1911A1

The rear sight is fixed in the slide to make it more durable, so it can't get knock off center. It is a strong set up, easy to replace if needed.

That's my guess
Old July 17, 2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Sauer Grapes

I bought a 250 when they originally hit the market. I was quite use to shooting DA revolvers so I figured, why not.

Loved the ergo feel of the gun. Trigger is long, but mine was smooth as glass.
Most of us are spoiled shooting short triggers with shot resets. If you can master the trigger control, they are good guns IMO.

I've since moved on from the P250, but I think for a carry gun, your well armed if u practice with it.
As far as the FBI trials, I think it's a lot of hog wash. I never had a minutes problem with mine thru about 1,200 rounds.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Capt. Ct.

I can't say that I was all that thrilled with mine. It gave me light primer strikes. I sent it back for the upgrade. This was on my dime. When I got it back it still game me light primer strikes. The conversion modules were not available. Maybe someday. I also didn't like the double action only trigger. Don't get me wrong on the trigger. It was quite smooth. I just don't like double action only and will never buy another. This pistol is not my perfect handgun by a mile.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:40 PM   #11
NWcityguy2

Quote:
Fast and accurate shooting is literally the most important thing when talking about defensive handguns. Nothing else even comes close.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:43 AM   #12
ljnowell

I shoot bullseye competitions DAO with a revolver. My daily carry is shot DAO, again a revolver. I have a glock21 that I shoot very well. The Sig p250 I shot? Worst trigger I have ever felt.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:14 AM   #13
bannockburn

Sorry but not my idea of the "perfect handgun" either. I have tried them though and thought while the modular design was interesting (but hard to find and a bjt expensive), that if you're going to make a DAO gun then you should make it with a really great DAO trigger. Well the ones I tried had nowhere near that kind of trigger, making for a rather unsatisfying experience. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a pistol.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:49 PM   #14
zoom6zoom

Quote:
As far as the FBI trials, I think it's a lot of hog wash.
To be fair, some of the early guns did have issues. But they have long since been addressed.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:29 PM   #15
Sauer Grapes

Someone explain to me why it's a crap DA trigger. Too long? I'll agree it's longer than say, a S&W revolver but so is a Ruger revolver and probably a lot of other pistols. I've never shot all that many DAO semis. And most that I shot suck.
How does it measure against other Sig DAO pistols?
Old July 18, 2014, 07:38 PM   #16
JDGray

I seen a guy at the range with one. He was swearing because he broke a spring taking it apart to show his buddy how cool it was....
Old July 18, 2014, 07:43 PM   #17
longknife12

Haven't had any problems with mine. I use the SC as a carry gun. So far, no burps. My problem is I don't get out with it enough!
Dan
Old July 18, 2014, 09:46 PM   #18
Onward Allusion

The P250's had some issues in the beginning and couldn't shake its first-impression with users. Even after getting the bugs ironed out, the public didn't really give it a second chance. Kind of reminds me of S&W and the 1st Gen Sigmas with the occasional issue and the reliable-awesome-value-for-the-money 2nd Gen Sigmas.

I have two of 'em and a few X-change kits. They are great guns IMO, but they are not for everyone. Not everyone likes the heavy true-DAO trigger. The modular design, different grip sizes, & changeable trigger is what sold me on the gun. It's a great value for the money. It's accurate, reliable, versatile, and has good ergos.

As for the safety . . . I'm guessing it came as an afterthought to sell folks who do not feel comfortable with a Glock-like gun, even though the P250 has a heavier trigger. Most P250's do not have that "feature". The 2 that I have do not.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 20, 2014, 01:28 PM   #19
burk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannockburn View Post
Sorry but not my idea of the "perfect handgun" either. I have tried them though and thought while the modular design was interesting (but hard to find and a bjt expensive), that if you're going to make a DAO gun then you should make it with a really great DAO trigger. Well the ones I tried had nowhere near that kind of trigger, making for a rather unsatisfying experience. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a pistol.
I couldn't agree more. For the record pre Newtown I saw P250's on sale regularly for $349. At that price they were a good value and certainly competitive with some of the other entry level guns from major makers like the SW9 VE or the P95. Now they are well north of $500, and some models are pushing $600. Really? At that price there are a host of other handguns that are made to withstand serious use. I'm not anti-Sig, and I recommend the P2022 (a FAR better value than the 250) and the new 320 all of the time. The reality that trigger is just not a serious trigger for a semi-auto handgun.
Old July 20, 2014, 05:11 PM   #20
MikeJackmin

Summit has the compacts and subcompacts for $379, with night sights:

http://summitgunbroker.com/p250sc.html

http://summitgunbroker.com/p250c.html

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old July 20, 2014, 05:44 PM   #21
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk View Post
I couldn't agree more. For the record pre Newtown I saw P250's on sale regularly for $349. At that price they were a good value and certainly competitive with some of the other entry level guns from major makers like the SW9 VE or the P95. Now they are well north of $500, and some models are pushing $600. Really? At that price there are a host of other handguns that are made to withstand serious use. I'm not anti-Sig, and I recommend the P2022 (a FAR better value than the 250) and the new 320 all of the time. The reality that trigger is just not a serious trigger for a semi-auto handgun.
They are fairly easy to find right at or under $400. Also for some reason some of them run over $500. I dont really understand this about Sigs.

Take Buds gun shop. They have one model of P220 for $550 and then several othe models substantially higher. Last time i looked they had one model P250 in 380 for around $400 and at the same time anothet listing for a p250 380 for over $500.

They have so many different variants of the same gun, one model can be all over the map
Old July 20, 2014, 06:19 PM   #22
ritepath

Good news is the p250 has been a good test bed for the new 320.

I almost ordered one last night after checking out an overpriced one at the LGS.

I've put some trigger time behind a friends 250....IMHO....thanks anyway. I'd rather shoot my DW's 642 if that's the kind of trigger I'm gonna have to use.

PS....I love my 220

http://www.kygunco.com/category.cfm/...sauer-handguns
Old July 22, 2014, 10:15 PM   #23
Go For Broke

Well I'm a die hard revolver fan, so the DAO works.

Dutch police as I understand were not satisfied with SIG's delivery potential. Maybe there was some politics too.

Yes, first generations P-250s had problems.

Cops as shooters and therefore qualified to judge...getting fewer and fewer.
Old July 23, 2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Armor Snail

Brother in Law has one.
Awful DAO.
My S&W 10 is fantastic.
My Taurus TCP is great.

The Kahr I tried was nice.

250 felt like a spongy spring.
Worst trigger ever.

Rather shoot my CZ70 in DA with its 20lb pull
Old July 23, 2014, 06:41 PM   #25
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
Brother in Law has one.
Awful DAO.
My S&W 10 is fantastic.
My Taurus TCP is great.

The Kahr I tried was nice.

250 felt like a spongy spring.
Worst trigger ever.

Rather shoot my CZ70 in DA with its 20lb pull
I suspect that was a bad one and not the usual p250. Most people (myself included ) considered it one of the best DAO triggers

Tags
p-250, sig, sights