Quantcast
I Don't Like Polymer Guns Because.... - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: I don't Like Polymer Guns
Don't Like Polymer Guns 61 25.74%
Like Polymer Guns 176 74.26%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 19, 2014, 05:10 PM   #26
skoro

I prefer all metal, but I have polymers that I like pretty well.
Old July 19, 2014, 05:37 PM   #27
Ed4032

It is the future, especially for carry. Light weight, durable and cheap to produce. But my love for steel and walnut will never fade. Torn between two lovers. Feeling like a fool. Wait that's a song. Never mind. I'm going to the range. Not sure who I'll take. Maybe both. Love triangles are so complicated.
Old July 19, 2014, 06:21 PM   #28
Waveski

Sorry , but there is nothing cool about polymer. Can't buff it ; can't jazz it up with a new set of walnut. If it does not please my eyes , I don't want it.
Old July 19, 2014, 06:22 PM   #29
frankiestoys

I don't necessarily dislike like them I just don't prefer them I've owned several but just never seem to warm up to them , I'm kinda old school I guess ... i like 1911's , revolvers ,Sigs (p series)and Beretta(92) just to mention a few .The polymer guns have there place and often make good edc guns WTS some of the aluminum frame pistols can also do the same thing. There's no right or wrong answer just preferences .
Old July 19, 2014, 07:05 PM   #30
Cocked & Locked

I've got three PLASTIC guns but don't really like them. Kel Tec PF9 & P32, and a S&W Shield.

I've owned Glock 17, 17L, 19, 20, 23, 27 pistols but never could really find anything about them I liked...obviously I tried, then I sold them.

Like Waveski said a couple post up, "...can't jazz it up with a new set of walnut".

like this...

So Forth and So On...
Old July 19, 2014, 07:16 PM   #31
kokapelli

This is now turning into exactly what I was trying to avoid when I said "I would like to see actual problems experienced with Polymer" rather than how you feel about Polymer.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:20 PM   #32
ritepath

I have both....I don't care.

I'm having a bit of an issue with my next pistol.

CZ75 or CZ P-09

Maybe a Canik and a Ruger 9E

Or just a plain ole g34 or g20

Or save up some more and get a p226
Old July 19, 2014, 07:22 PM   #33
Saleen322

Polymer has its place and they brought a lot of new people to shooting. They are inexpensive to make, accurate enough for what they are designed to do, and handle exposure to the elements well. I own one and it has done everything the manufacturer advertised it would do. I plan to keep it.

That said, I have dozens and dozens (....and dozens and dozens, etc ) of metal guns. I have no plans (or need) for another poly pistol but I will continue to purchase metal firearms. YMMV
Old July 19, 2014, 07:29 PM   #34
Cocked & Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokapelli View Post
This is now turning into exactly what I was trying to avoid when I said "I would like to see actual problems experienced with Polymer" rather than how you feel about Polymer.

Uh Oh...sorry
Old July 19, 2014, 07:35 PM   #35
Hurryin' Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoun da Vinci View Post
Boy, I dunno....If JMB were designing the Colt 1903 Model M today he'd most certainly at least evaluate the possibilities of doing it with polymer I'd think.
I doubt it. John Moses had taste.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:42 PM   #36
usp9

Polymer rules. Less rust and less weight.
"Go Hokies"
Old July 19, 2014, 08:39 PM   #37
GEM

I don't like Polymer guns because they don't let me practice malfunction drills as much as my all metal more expensive 1911.

Otherwise, I find the topic a big Yawn.
Old July 20, 2014, 12:00 AM   #38
DeepSouth

Quote:
That's because their aren't really any problems associated directly with the polymer, it holds up well enough for basically everyone.....It's just boring.
Many People don't like them and therefore they voice that opinion when a thread is titled "I don't like Polymer guns because....."
Proverbs 19:11...Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.
Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns, is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids...
Old July 20, 2014, 12:16 AM   #39
Broker

I like SOME polymer guns. Glocks, not so much. I have polymer Kahrs, S&W M&Ps, & Sigs that I really like. I don't like ALL metal frame guns, either. BHP's for example. Many actually love 'em. I could never warm up to them. And I'd rather have a good slingshot & a pocket full of ball bearings than to carry a Glock. I can shoot the slingshot MUCH better. My opinion only, of course.
Old July 20, 2014, 02:07 AM   #40
Billy Shears

Quote:
Quote:
That's because their aren't really any problems associated directly with the polymer, it holds up well enough for basically everyone.....It's just boring.
Many People don't like them and therefore they voice that opinion when a thread is titled "I don't like Polymer guns because....."
Exactly. What did you expect? You're not going to see many accounts of such issues, because there aren't many such issues. Polymer-framed guns have been around long enough now to prove themselves basically as durable and reliable as steel-framed guns. I mean, what sort of issues are you expecting people to have? Most of the potential failures a polymer framed gun could have have been taken into account and engineered out by the manufacturers. Steel is still used for slide rails, and numerous internal parts where the structural properties and heat resistance of steel are needed, and polymer is used where it suffices, and if the design is a good one (and most of the best selling ones are these days), the guns work as well as guns generally ever do for their intended purposes.
Old July 20, 2014, 04:44 AM   #41
Potatohead
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
yea. I cant think of to many "problems" that can be attributed just to the polymer.
Old July 20, 2014, 06:29 AM   #42
Deus Machina

I can't attribute any of my complaints to the material itself, really.
I've just never found one that I like as much as my alloy-framed guns. The trigger always feels wrong somehow. Weird disconnect points, or the trigger action is off, or there's not obvious disconnect point, or it's just plain squishy.
Or the grip just isn't as nice.
If you need a complaint, I guess I do prefer how my alloy-framed guns balance.
Old July 20, 2014, 07:55 AM   #43
ljnowell

My first gun was polymer. I inherited another. All of my other guns are all metal. Not that i wouldn't ever buy another polymer gun, in fact I have my eye on one now, it just happens I have been on a revolver kick for a few years now.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:11 AM   #44
tarosean

Quote:
I have often wished I could go back in time and put a Glock 17 in John Brownings hand and get his reaction
He would sue from all the patent infringments of his
Old July 20, 2014, 08:17 AM   #45
Chocolate Bayou

They remind me too much of the toy guns we used to play with as a kid. But really, I have a couple of XD's in 9mm that I like for polymer guns, but the feel of all metal with 8 rounds and a hammer, carried cocked and locked makes me feel a lot better than a striker gun with 18 rounds. Just my preference.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:30 AM   #46
jimbo555

I sold my glocks. I had intermittent fte's that required ejecting the mag. and turning it upside down to get the case out. Only polymer handgun I have now is a ruger lc9. It works fine but I don't carry it anymore. I have returned to revolvers.
Old July 20, 2014, 09:19 AM   #47
Armor Snail

uploadfromtaptalk1405862295619.jpg

Who says you can't put nice grips on poly frames? Can't think of any other one though at the moment.

290RS maybe.
Old July 20, 2014, 11:00 AM   #48
460Kodiak

A while ago I saw a picture of a Glock that had been totally chewed up and spit out by a large dog of some kind. Obviously with an all metal gun, the chances of it surviving in a functional state may be better as the dog would probably realize it just isn't any fun, though the grips would certainly get messed up.

So the only problem I can think of that is directly attributed to polymer is that it is less resistant to a ill trained pet's need to chew on things. Otherwise it holds up well.
Friend.... "You should be 460Kodiak....... yeah"
Me........ "Great...... now I have to grow a mullet."
Old July 20, 2014, 12:29 PM   #49
Captains1911

I like reliable guns that fit my needs and I can shoot well, regardless of the material they are made of. It just so happens that polymer guns fit this bill better for me than non-polymer.
Old July 20, 2014, 12:46 PM   #50
huntsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokapelli View Post
I don't like Polymer guns because...
I would like to see actual problems experienced with Polymer rather than personal biases based on unsubstantiated claims.
I don't like them period(they're Plastic), but I own two and so far haven't had any issues with either. Sorry for the personal bias but that's all I got.

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker

Last edited by huntsman; July 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM.