Quantcast
45ACP Lead 200 Grain TC pet loads - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 21, 2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Schwing

45ACP Lead 200 Grain TC pet loads

I recently picked up a Lee .452 200 grain TC mold. I don't shoot a huge amount of .45 so I wanted something a little lighter (it is the tightwad in me trying to save lead).

When I first started working up loads for it, I was concerned because I had to push the OAL down to around 1.150 to get them to cycle reliably in my Springfield. I almost stopped using the mold but, after working up some loads, I am very pleased with the accuracy. Of course, I started really low and worked up to make sure there were no pressure problems.

I wanted to see if anyone here has used this mold and has any pet loads that they are happy with. Even if you have a 200 grain mold that is a RN or SWC, I would be interested. I will share mine below but would like to see what others have found. Below are my 2 best loads so far:

5 grains of Bullseye seated to 1.150

4.6 grains of Promo also seated to 1.150
Old July 21, 2014, 01:41 PM   #2
bds
Contributing Member

These loads are used with 12/18 BHN Missouri and 14-16 BHN Dardas/Z-Cast 200 gr SWC bullets:

5.0 gr of W231/HP-38 at 1.245"-1.260" OAL

4.0 gr of Red Dot/Promo at 1.245"-1.260" OAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing
I don't shoot a huge amount of .45 so I wanted something a little lighter (it is the tightwad in me trying to save lead).
4.0 gr of Promo will also save you on powder so you can be even more "frugal"

Do something meaningful and fun ... today:
Support vendors offering 5% THR discount - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760272
Support THR by becoming a contributing member - http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Support Pay it Forward thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698208

Revelation 19:11
Old July 21, 2014, 04:11 PM   #3
41 Mag

My lads vary from 4.5gr to 5.5grs depending on just which 200gr cast bullets I am using at the time.

I was using around 3.8 with one, and around 4.3 with another, but finally decided that even numbers were easier to remember and the accuracy was about on par either way.

I have an original H&G #68 mold as well as a couple of other SWC molds which all are listed with different loads. I just feel that as "GOOD" as I am with my 45 ACP , dialing in a specific load was pretty much a wasted effort right now.

41 Mag's - Photobucket Page
Old July 22, 2014, 12:24 PM   #4
GooseGestapo

I use the same bullet.
My favorite (or rather the pistol's favorite) is 4.3gr of Clays or 5.4gr of Universal. Either of these will cut a ragged hole at 25yds. 5-shots ~1.5". I've also used the above mentioned Promo/RedDot loads as well as Bullseye and Win231/HP38.
Whatever you have or can get your hands on these days is "best"...

The throat on your chamber will determine where these need to be seated. Seat them to where they chamber easily with the slide going into full battery.

Some M1911 magazines won't reliably feed these. The new-style will. The older (ie; WWII style followers) won't
My Springfield M1911 will feed empty brass so feeds these "semi-wadcutters' reliably. A Springfield XD-45 I had required the bullets be seated ~.003" deeper than my M1911 chamber did. I sold the XD to a gunsmith/deputy that needed it... But it was a "shooter".. Almost as accurate as the M1911 "Match" gun..