Quantcast
.22lr MEGATHREAD - Page 30 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 17, 2014, 11:33 PM   #726
Sniper66

This past weekend at a gun show in Topeka, KS one dealer had CCI Standard Velocity for $55 per brick and another dealer had it for $45 and no tax. Seems there is a lot of this ammo around. I picked up my 2 box limit of the same ammo at Cabela's in Kansas City the other day for $4.99 + tax. Hope this means the supply is getting better and some competition is starting to show up.
Old July 21, 2014, 07:36 PM   #727
HankB

In their Sunday 7/20/14 ad, Dick's was advertising Federal American Eagle ammo at $2.49 a box - limit 2. I was literally driving by Dick's this AM so I stopped by and bought a couple of boxes; it's a copper plated 38 grain high speed hollow point.

Packaged 40 - that's right, 40 - per box. So instead of a nickel apiece they were a little over six cents each.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:14 AM   #728
jrdolall
Contributing Member

I have gotten in two shipments from Midway over the past two weeks that I ordered last year. I got an email from Cabela's today that some 22 I ordered a few months ago was shipped yesterday.
These shipments are the first I have gotten in a while as I have not been actively looking for it. I have enough Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts to last a while.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:34 PM   #729
Gun Master

.22 Long (not Long Rifle) Ammo

The .22 LR seems more plentiful now. I have an old Hopkins & Allen revolver that will not shoot .22LR. The gunsmith that examined and shot it (I heard two pops), said I should shoot .22 Longs in it. Can also shoot .22 Shorts.

Cheaper Than Dirt used to sell .22 Long, but I can't find it online.

Does anybody know where I can find .22 Long or Short ammo? Subsonic ammo would be best. Thanks
Old July 22, 2014, 10:42 PM   #730
Gun Master

40 Rounds or 40 Grains ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
In their Sunday 7/20/14 ad, Dick's was advertising Federal American Eagle ammo at $2.49 a box - limit 2. I was literally driving by Dick's this AM so I stopped by and bought a couple of boxes; it's a copper plated 38 grain high speed hollow point.

Packaged 40 - that's right, 40 - per box. So instead of a nickel apiece they were a little over six cents each.
I bought Federal American Eagle .22 LR, box of 50, with 40 grain bullets for $2.99 plus tax, at Academy Sports - Collierville, TN.

Could it have been "40 grain", rather than 40 rounds ? Just asking .
Old July 22, 2014, 10:56 PM   #731
cat_IT_guy

Quote:
Could it have been "40 grain", rather than 40 rounds ? Just asking .
I wouldnt believe it either, except that I saw a box of the stuff at the range the other day. Sure enough, box of 40 rounds. I had to do a double take as well.
Old July 22, 2014, 11:48 PM   #732
Gun Master

From 50 rds. to 40 rds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_IT_guy View Post
I wouldnt believe it either, except that I saw a box of the stuff at the range the other day. Sure enough, box of 40 rounds. I had to do a double take as well.
Wow ! First they cut your food from 16 oz. to 12 oz., for the same price at the grocery store, and now "this".
Old July 23, 2014, 12:30 AM   #733
The_Next_Generation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_IT_guy View Post
Wow ! First they cut your food from 16 oz. to 12 oz., for the same price at the grocery store, and now "this".
FWIW, 38gr copper-plated Federal American Eagle's have been 40/box for a lonnnggggg time - since before the panic.

400/brick (10 boxes, 40rds each) is what I would get all the time. It shoots DARN good, too. My CZ452 Trainer loves the stuff! YMMV...
Old July 23, 2014, 12:47 AM   #734
ole farmerbuck
Contributing Member

Yep, hollow points have always been 40 per box and solids have been 50 per box.
Old July 26, 2014, 06:18 PM   #735
Ignition Override

Downward trend now for .22LR prices.

Just noticed this for several distributors listed on search engine "Gunbot", and all of it was available an hour ago.

Maybe I wasn't checking for weeks, but a few sellers list various min. quantities at .10/rd. and it was Not for Remington.

The primary question for so many of us is whether Russian 7.62x39 will remain stable for a good while longer.
So far the prices are consistent.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 26, 2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:04 PM   #736
Comrade Mike

7.62x39 isn't going anywhere. Most of it isn't sourced from
Russia. Don't fuel the panic.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:26 PM   #737
Ignition Override

"Roger" that, Comrade Mike.
It might be best not to bring up that last topic. Mine has been recently acquired as a hedge against 2016, but mostly for retirement by then.

And all else being equal, maybe the downward tendency of .22LR prices will gradually accelerate, if deflation (delaying purchases) is the mindset among users.
A moderator here suggested that the price decrease could be the reverse of a geometric rate, or such.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:34 PM   #738
rcmodel
Contributing Member

It could also be that the hoarding panic is beginning to subside.
Or the hoarders are running out of money & storage room in the bedroom?

And maybe it could also be, all the manufactures are beginning to catch up again?

rc
Old July 26, 2014, 09:12 PM   #739
Sol

I don't own a .22 gun at all, but yesterday my curiosity struck.

I was looking for .22 ammo online and the search results on the first page had gunbroker as one of the top results.

It gave me one of those "evil laugh" type feeling seeing page after page after page of jacked up priced .22 ammo with zero bids and auctions ending in minutes.

Looked to me everyone was selling and nobody was buying.

A .22 may be in my near future.
Old July 26, 2014, 11:38 PM   #740
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Master View Post
The .22 LR seems more plentiful now. I have an old Hopkins & Allen revolver that will not shoot .22LR. The gunsmith that examined and shot it (I heard two pops), said I should shoot .22 Longs in it. Can also shoot .22 Shorts.

Cheaper Than Dirt used to sell .22 Long, but I can't find it online.

Does anybody know where I can find .22 Long or Short ammo? Subsonic ammo would be best. Thanks
You probably need to shoot CBs. Was your revolver built for blackpowder only?
Old July 27, 2014, 03:48 AM   #741
Ignition Override

At today's gun show a few miles from ATL Airport, the .22LR seemed to average approx. .10/rd.

The better news is that there were about twenty 330/500-rd. "bricks" at that fairly small (for Atlanta) show, in addition to many small 50-rd. boxes.
Old July 27, 2014, 02:21 PM   #742
Yoda

Location: Florida, bouncing between Hurlburt Fld and MacDill AFB
Fiund sime .22 !

They had some .22 at my local Dicks sporting goods store yesterday, but it was in 40-round boxes instead of the normal 50-round boxes. At $2.50 for 40, that works out to 160 for $10.00, which isn't bad these days. At least it's a better deal than some of the websites that offer 100 for about $10.00. The ammo brand was "American Eagle."

- - - Yoda
Old July 27, 2014, 02:34 PM   #743
Hurryin' Hoosier

"Fiund sime"?
Old July 27, 2014, 02:54 PM   #744
mnrivrat

Quote:
"Fiund sime"?
Perhaps "Found some"
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)
Old July 27, 2014, 04:12 PM   #745
SlowFuse

Were they Am. Eagle? I've noticed they have started doing 40 rd packs.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:56 PM   #746
Gun Master

H&A X.L. Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
You probably need to shoot CBs. Was your revolver built for blackpowder only?
No, it is the XL Model, and as far as I can determine, was made between 1909-1914, which would make it smokeless powder. It has a 6" octagonal barrel. Very little of the original nickel finish remains. The grips are large and strange looking, and may be hand whittled wood with maroon colored "paint"? The grip (appears to be one piece), is shaped like drawings I've seen for the H&A Range Model.
The loading gate (which is just a hole on the right side), apparently was manufactured without a cover, or actual moving gate. It was built on a very small frame, and is in perfect operating condition, in both single and double action.
The only markings are located on the top of the receiver, which are :"X.L. DOUBLE ACTION '', 2nd line "HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS Co", 3rd line "NORWICH,CT. U.S.A.". There is no serial number and no patent dates.
It has a 7 round cylinder, which has a cylinder pin that can be withdrawn to "poke out" the spent hulls.
I have one box each of CB and CCI Sub-Sonic Shorts, but have been unable to locate the desired ".22 Longs".
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Gun Master; July 27, 2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Details.
Old July 27, 2014, 09:29 PM   #747
rwehnau

""Fiund sime"?

Secret coded message to prevent the .22 price gougers from finding it
Old July 27, 2014, 10:41 PM   #748
Onmilo

Dick's over in the big big city only had those $10 a hundred packs last time I was in there.
It was CCI Standard velocity.
Old July 31, 2014, 12:45 AM   #749
Cee Zee

I'm seeing .22LR all over the place now. Dicks had some CCI MiniMags the last time I was there. A LGS close to me here had a bunch of Armscor no limit. It was < $3.50 a box. A LGS near my home area has had several different type of .22 to choose from for the last 3 months. I've seen it off and on at other places for a couple of months. The shortage is pretty much over IMO. Prices should be back to normal before too long. They're already falling. I have turned my back on a lot of overpriced stuff lately. Online dealers have had plenty too but high shipping costs keep me from buying all but specialty ammo online unless I can get a good deal on a case of CCI SV.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:49 PM   #750
Oldman1151

Bass Pro

Was at Brass Pro tonight and asked for 22 lr ammo and of course answer was no. Struck up a conversation with a rep from Winchester. He told me just to keep checking everywhere I went. Said he had just delivered some to a local department earlier in the and should hit the shelves soon. About 5 minutes later he came back and handed me a 555 pack of Winchester 22lr and told me not to let anyone see it. I was looking at powder and primers when there was an announcement saying anyone interested in 22 lr should report to the gun counter. I turned around and saw a cart with 3 cases of 22lr ammo on it. Limit was one brick each. It was gone in about 3 minutes. I think only 3 bricks made it to behind the counter as customers took it right off of cart as the clerk opened the cases. They had CCI, Federal and American Eagle. They did not bring out any of the Winchester like I was handed 5 minutes earlier. Amazing how fast the ammo disappeared off of that cart. I just happened to be in right place at the right time.

Last edited by Oldman1151; August 1, 2014 at 09:11 PM.