Quantcast
Doctor ignores Gun Free Zone, saves lives. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old July 25, 2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Trent
Contributing Member

Doctor ignores Gun Free Zone, saves lives.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/1606...gun-free-zone/

Quote:
Pennsylvania doctor saved his own life, and possibly the lives of several others Thursday, when he shot a gunman who was on a rampage in his office at Mercy Hospital in Darby, Pennsylvania.

Employees arenít supposed to have firearms or other weapons at the hospital, according to a hospital spokeswoman, but thankfully this doctor wasnít complying.
Original story here;

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/us/pen...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old July 25, 2014, 01:51 PM   #2
herkyguy

It will be interesting to see what media coverage comes from this. I would never advocate broadcasting to the world that one openly violates a business or facility policy, but good on this guy for doing the right thing when he most certainly knew of the potential fallout.

Not an easy decision, but one that SAVED lives. I'd buy that doc a beer.
Old July 25, 2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Trent
Contributing Member

Herkyguy,

When I teach concealed carry, I always advise students to follow the law and respect posted buildings/places - they carry force of law in IL.

That being said, we *all* have to make up our own minds on that issue. After all, if no upstanding citizens with clean records are ever pinched for carrying in a prohibited place, we can't exactly get a good challenge of the constitutionality of the laws in court.

(Keep in mind in IL, we can't carry in MANY public spaces; public parks, public gatherings - parades, community festivals, etc).

Incidents like this one are important because it shows that sometimes unexpectedly bad things happen where we need to defend ourselves in otherwise "routine" places.

E.g. I'd never expect that someone would barge in and start shooting my office up. But if they did, they'll be met with force. Fortunately that's not a prohibited place for me.. but you get the point. We never choose the time or place when we have to defend ourselves; if we did, we could easily avoid it and not need self-defense.
Old July 25, 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
NOMI WASP

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Old July 25, 2014, 02:33 PM   #5
moxie

According to news reports, he's being considered a hero by the local DA.

U.S. Air Force Munitions, 1969-1992
Vietnam, 1972-1973
Old July 25, 2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Robert

Already under discussion.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Closed Thread