Quantcast
Grinds My Firearm Gears - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 24, 2014, 04:16 PM   #51
RetiredUSNChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack Arizona View Post
About a year later I found my old Bersa back at the pawnshop sitting in the used firearm case. I thought I recognized it so curiosity led me to have them check their records. Sure enough, it was my old Bersa. I was irritated at the horrible shape it was in.

Needless to say, I bought it back. I'll take it to my smithy and have him repair the gouges, have him take some of the beaver tail off and give it a nice cerakote finish. Afterwords, I may even try carrying it again.

Well, that's my story, what's yours? What really grinds your firearm gears?
People who sell there guns, then buy them back later because they're angry with how they were treated.

Seriously, about the only aspect about guns themselves that get me are the people who seem to believe that any given gun is "The Magic Gun"ô

Such people are usually so unreasonably lobsided about their opinions that they can't seem to carry on a civil conversation on any given gun topic.

What I've found about many such people I've encountered and had a chance to go shooting with is that they often can't shoot as well as I can with my own "inferior" gun.

Makes me smile when that happens.

I'm the guy with a cannon, too: http://youtu.be/X6xhYELYVDw
Old July 24, 2014, 04:21 PM   #52
Orion8472

How about "gun know it alls" that tell you that "You shouldn't have gotten that gun, it sucks! . . You should have gotten THIS gun instead" [their gun of choice]. The "brand myopic" folk.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:44 PM   #53
RetiredUSNChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra600 View Post
Didn't do any grinding, but when my F-I-L showed me his Colt collection, they were all rust. He hadn't looked after them for years. Just made me sad that what was beautiful was now junk.
Meh...

A little time with a wire wheel on the grinder, some spackling compound, and paint...WALAH! A thing of beauty again!

Which brings me to another grind...people who interject silly comments in forum strings about firearms.

I don't care who you are, that there's funny.

Seriously, I'm with you...I don't think I'd call this a grind, but it sure is a crying shame.

Old July 24, 2014, 05:54 PM   #54
NOMI WASP

People who believe frangible ammo has reinvented the wheel for SD. My brother came over memorial day showing off the liberty defense 90 grain Hollow Point and I pulled out my 124 grain HST. After he did his homework, he quickly thanked me for showing him the error in his thinking. Then he bought 3 boxes of HST from PSA.

I had a LGS try that on me stating "itís the fastest 9mm made" My brother said a slick LGS sold him on it. LOL

I told him they need to get some real ammo like Ranger, HST, or Gold Dots. If these frangible rounds were so good, all the major ammo companies would have a similar round because we live in a copycat world.

One of my passions is ammo media tests and wish I owned some property so I could do some of my own.
Old July 24, 2014, 06:22 PM   #55
WV_Gunner

The gun know it apps are quite annoying, I know a few. You can't get a word in any conversation relating to guns without it being wrong. And it's usually from someone who literally has almost no gun experience.

I do store some guns in cases, I don't see anything wrong with it. Honestly though the guns I store in cases aren't nothing fancy. I keep a Marlin 55 in a gun sock, won't fit in anything else. I keep my handguns in cases, and I keep my Draco in a foam case, it won't fit in the safe. I've never once had an issue with rust of any sort. I hear of it a lot on the Internet but I've yet too even hear of anyone in person say anything about it.

I honestly don't care how others take care of their guns, if anything everyone should be happy most take bad care of guns that way when you buy one used it'll be that much cheaper and a little cleaning makes it look good again. My dad has literally bought 2 H&R shot guns for $80 because they needed cleaned that bad. You could hardly see through the barrels, and they were 12s.
Old July 24, 2014, 06:45 PM   #56
KingMedicine

I hate people who will argue price on a sale even tho they don't want in on the deal. Had one chew me out for an AR I had up for 800, he put up a link for a m&p sport for 629 and chimed in how it was a ripoff... It was two completely different rifles...
Old July 24, 2014, 06:49 PM   #57
Cooldill

I don't like it when other people at the range do things like hold the gun sideways and do mag dumps just to look "cool".

Really distracting when I'm actually trying to concentrate and be accurate!
Old July 24, 2014, 08:23 PM   #58
jell-dog
Contributing Member

[quote]Cooldill I don't like it when other people at the range do things like hold the gun sideways and do mag dumps just to look "cool".

Really distracting when I'm actually trying to concentrate and be accurate![quote]

Being accurate with these distracting things going on is a GOOD thing

Complaining about powder-bullet-primer-brass prices then paying the price ANYWAY "grinds my firearm gears"

.22 LR hard to find/cost to much? Put the .22 away until the cost/availability are better and shoot what you load for

as with all things, YMMV
Old July 25, 2014, 06:48 AM   #59
maxxhavoc

Mine is folks who don't follow range etiquette.

People who start picking up my brass without even asking first.

People who shoot other people's targets - especially the guy who shot my pistol spinner with a .300 Winmag. Then denied he shot it. He said my 9mm must have done it. .33" steel.

Old July 25, 2014, 09:54 AM   #60
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
Complaining about powder-bullet-primer-brass prices then paying the price ANYWAY "grinds my firearm gears"
Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:35 AM   #61
NOMI WASP

HTML Code:
Mine is folks who don't follow range etiquette.

People who start picking up my brass without even asking first.

People who shoot other people's targets - especially the guy who shot my pistol spinner with a .300 Winmag. Then denied he shot it. He said my 9mm must have done it. .33" steel.

That picture of the spinning target is priceless LOL
Old July 25, 2014, 11:47 AM   #62
RetiredUSNChief

People who wander onto other people's private property for target shooting on a range someone else has set up (which most of the property owners I know of don't really care about, since that's why they set up the range) and then steal or damage the range equipment (which the property owners DO care about).

Case in point is a guy at work who set up a decent steel backstop behind the dirt berm in a field on his parent's property. Someone came along and stole the entire steel set up and sold it for scrap. (Guy was caught when the police investigated local recycling centers.)

Come on, people...

Old July 25, 2014, 12:46 PM   #63
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUSNChief View Post
People who wander onto other people's private property for target shooting on a range someone else has set up (which most of the property owners I know of don't really care about, since that's why they set up the range).

I didn't set up my range on private property so other folks I don't know could "wander onto" and target shoot. The reason it's on private property is to keep folks I don't know or folks I don't want there off. The crime of trespassing is just as bad as vandalism and theft as far as I'm concerned.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old July 25, 2014, 01:37 PM   #64
RetiredUSNChief

^^^^

OK, let me rephrase that, since I obviously messed up what I intended. (Sorry about that.)

Most property owners I know don't really care about other people using their range so long as the people who wish to do so have the common decency to ask permission. Just like when I was growing up and wanted to hunt on someone else's property. Ask first.

Some property owners I know have set up a "shooting range" in areas so remote that it takes quite a bit to get there...and they fully realize other people are likely to also use it without bothering to ask. And these people don't really care simply because the range requires very little maintenance. It's only when theft or vandalism happens that they care.

Of course, some people DO care (like you and many others) about other people using their range.

Old July 25, 2014, 06:17 PM   #65
RustyShackelford

Ranges......

I agree with being considerate with other shooters property or not picking up spent cases without expressed permission.
I'd add that another annoying irk is when people take small children to gun ranges or gun shops then let them wander around or not supervise them.

I was looking at a new M&P pistol once & almost dropped it because a young kid was scampering around me.

Andre Agassi
Old July 25, 2014, 06:31 PM   #66
The Lone Haranguer

It doesn't affect me directly, I suppose, but I don't like seeing this sort of thing.

Pure feel-good BS, there will be hundreds more for each one destroyed, and sometimes desirable, valuable or historic firearms are lost forever.
Old July 26, 2014, 06:21 PM   #67
ChCx2744

When someone who knows absolutely nothing about guns, gun ownership or shooting says or asks me something about guns, then turns around and contradicts their own statements with replies, such as "But the guy at the gun store said" or "My cop/military friend said" and believes it as solid fact. I then reply "Well your friend is incorrect" to which I am responded to with "But they are firearms experts and know more about guns than you." For example, a (Now former) friend was in the market for a pistol and opted for a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard in .380, the one with the summabich of a saftey and the laser. I tried to persuade him away from it, possibly looking at Kahr PM or CMs, Keltecs, Rugers or subcompact Glocks. He insisted on the Bodyguard because the "gunstore guy is an expert and recommended it" and that he insisted being able to have a manual external safety. After about 3 days of owning it and shooting approximately 2 magazines out of it (Less than 20 rounds) he sold it for less than what he paid, bought a Glock 26 and refuses to admit his foolishness to me anymore. We've since had a few arguments where I made it quite clear that I would not be giving him any more advice if he insists on talking down to me and taking the advice of someone who is trying to sell merchandise, instead of providing constructive recommendations.

Also when these same people who are not very well-informed about guns try to argue the "stopping power" concept with me. It's even worse when they take their advice from someone else who they "think" is an expert and have never received any proper classroom or range instruction.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:06 PM   #68
RustyShackelford

Conditioning.....

Some LE/military types get strong opinions based on their training or conditioning.
They have it ingrained into them that what weapons they use are the best & they are to trust this weapon/ammunition selection with their safety & welfare.
I would not always go by what a cop/security guard/service member says.
They can offer a valid opinion based on experience or what their agency used but there are many, many choices or selections in 2014.

RS

Andre Agassi
Old July 27, 2014, 11:00 AM   #69
TMCCOY

Yesterday walking into the gunshow, the first table I came across had bricks of 22LR for $80 each. This grinds my firearm gears.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:45 PM   #70
N.Schafer

"I support the 2nd and your right of self-defense BUT..."
Old July 31, 2014, 12:55 PM   #71
maxxhavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
Some LE/military types get strong opinions based on their training or conditioning.
They have it ingrained into them that what weapons they use are the best & they are to trust this weapon/ammunition selection with their safety & welfare.
I would not always go by what a cop/security guard/service member says.
They can offer a valid opinion based on experience or what their agency used but there are many, many choices or selections in 2014.
When folks say whatever they use is best "because it's what the cops use" I have to ask if they are still driving a Crown Victoria. Or a Taurus.

If they insist on emulating the military, they need to load FMJ in their 9mm for that "military style extra damage."

Last edited by maxxhavoc; July 31, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:57 PM   #72
Pit4Brains

Muzzle breaks at the range. Nothing worse than having your back to a 300 Win Mag that is porting it's blast into your area.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:26 PM   #73
george burns

I have run into 2 guys who took perfectly new expensive guns, one H&K 45, "looks like the P 30" and a custom S&W commander, and beat the hell out of them, scratching dropping and burying them in mud and sand, claiming that this was the true test of a carry gun.
It isn't supposed to be pretty, it's supposed to work under the most adverse conditions. I thought it was ludicrous to do this to a new gun. Maybe I am nut's but I take care of all my guns, if one gets scratched during use, I don't allow it to bother me, like it was my new, car, but it still hurts.
the difference is I know that it was made to take a certain amount of abuse over time, but not for no reason.
Both these guys felt that this was the only way to trust a gun, which again to me is stupid as you could easily damage it while playing games like that.
But each to their own.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:35 PM   #74
TrickyDick

When the word "Tactical" is used to describe a firearm, parts, or accessories.

An AR is no more tactical than my Mosins. Your actions can be tactical, not objects.

"Who is John Galt?"
Old August 1, 2014, 10:46 PM   #75
Sheepdog1968

People who are unsafe at the range.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/