Quantcast
mutt deterrent - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 23, 2014, 11:47 AM   #26
KenW.

As a teenager riding bicycle to school, I carried a squirt gun loaded with household ammonia. A spritz in the face sent them running.

Douglas MacArthur
Old July 23, 2014, 12:30 PM   #27
Deltaboy

Talking

Pepper spray.
Old July 24, 2014, 01:27 PM   #28
Ramone

just a note-

off the top of my head, as best I recall-

Pepper Spray (capsasum <sp?>) is good for dogs, but Mace (CS tear gas) is not as effective. I think CN tear gas is better for animals than CS.

Point being, make sure it's effective for four legged critters.
Old July 24, 2014, 02:28 PM   #29
19-3Ben

Air horn. Seriously. The shockingly pound sudden blaring noise of an air horn going off has tremendous impact on dogs. I know of several kennels/boarding facilities that use them to break up fights should one break out.

No need to hurt an animal. No need for guns, clubs, or pepper spray. I'm not going to wound a dog unless I absolutely have to. Heck, I'd give a dog at least as much leeway as I would a human.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:06 PM   #30
WestKentucky

You probably already have skunk scent as a cover scent. Make the dog pay, and then make his owner pay when he goes whimpering home smelling like a skunk.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:26 PM   #31
hso

Quote:
I know WV law says no black jacks, saps etc. My question is: Would law enforcement look at my set up as a illegal?
Quote:
WEST VIRGINIA CODE ‹ Back | print page Print 61-7-2. Definitions.
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Blackjack" means a short bludgeon consisting, at the striking end, of an encased piece of lead or some other heavy substance and, at the handle end, a strap or springy shaft which increases the force of impact when a person or object is struck. The term "blackjack" shall include, but not be limited to, a billy, billy club, sand club, sandbag or slapjack.
Wellll, all club like objects, whether homemade or purchased, looks like they could fall under that interpretation if the officer so wanted in spite of the definition requiring "lead or some other heavy substance" and "at the handle end, a strap...".

Best advice is pepper spray with a stick designed to avoid the definition under the law as a blackjack/billy club.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.

Last edited by hso; July 24, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:59 PM   #32
glistam

Technically stick/baton-like bludgeons fall under the "billy/billy club" so yes they likely count for purposes of that definition.

However, if you go to the next part (61-7-3) it says all aforementioned weapons are only illegal if carried concealed.

Quote:
(10) "Concealed" means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the deadly weapon was being carried.
So open carry of even a purpose-made baton is lawful. Though it's still probably better to go with just a non-weighted stick to avoid alarming people.
Old July 24, 2014, 04:33 PM   #33
AJumbo

i know from my brief experience as a paperboy that ammonia works. I used ammonia because pepper spray was not available to me. Since it is now, I carry it as part of my "go away NOW" toolkit for humans and critters.

I'm a dog lover, too, and would rather blast Fido with something unpleasant and painful than let him get hold of me and perhaps be put down for his troubles.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:16 PM   #34
burrhead

A tire pump. A multi-tasker bicyclers have been using for decades.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:00 PM   #35
hso

Ahhh, very good, burrhead.

A bike tire pump doesn't have to be terribly sturdy if the intent is to drive off a dog if it is used with pepper spray.

TheHighRoad exists to provide a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums so antis and undecideds can see that gun owners and RKBA advocates are not the reckless misanthropes they tell everyone we are. Personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road and hurt all of us.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:47 PM   #36
TimboKhan

I have said it before and I will say it again: While I have no doubt ammonia is effective, pepper spray is fairly cheap and far preferable to ammonia, both in ease of use (Aeresol fog, v. thin spray) and container (small spray can v. squirt bottle or whatever else). I can appreciate saving a penny or two here or there, but at the end of the day pepper spray is far more effective and doesn't have the potential for permanent harm that ammonia has all while being reasonably priced.

Tim "Timbo"Marquart
Old July 24, 2014, 11:13 PM   #37
Dmitri Popov

To get an accurate answer we need to know what part of the state you are in. (In regards to any legal ramifications)

I would personally carry a couple things. Pepper spray as a first resort, ASP in case an escaltion of force is required, and lastly I would carry a pistol.

Check Gall's for a holder that would allow you to easily carry and retrieve the Cap-Stun and/or baton quickly from the bike.
Old July 25, 2014, 06:57 PM   #38
Deltaboy

Talking

Cold Steel Shambok.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:23 PM   #39
AJumbo

Impact weapons are fine, but they require you to let Fido get close enough to hit him. In regards to the sjambok, there's a real chance doing Fido some real, serious, and lasting damage which could land you before the judge. Pepper spray eventually fades, but only the thickest dog wouldn't take a lesson from a noseful of it.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:10 PM   #40
Deltaboy

They go all the way to nearly 60 inches. I love mine at 36 inches so far but I carry pepper spray and my 38 .
Old July 27, 2014, 04:35 PM   #41
19-3Ben

Quote:
A tire pump. A multi-tasker bicyclers have been using for decades.
Yup. I've often thought about it with my Cannondale touring bike (a 1995 T400 with a whole bunch of upgrades like Ultegra barcons, LX deraileurs, Brooks B17 etc...) which has a nice full length frame pump mounted under the top tube.
That taking a whack with that would hurt!
Old July 27, 2014, 06:29 PM   #42
tactikel

I've used my tire pump to stave off farm dogs several times over the years. I just waved it them, they got the idea.

My ex-brother in law was a meter reader for ComEd, he always carried pepper spray, got bit twice.
Old July 27, 2014, 08:27 PM   #43
Vodoun da Vinci

Used to run service calls at people's homes and have had numerous confrontations with everything from a 200+ pound St. Bernard to 10 pound terriers and pit bulls in between.

Pepper spray. Dogs have sensitive noses...never had one get past the spray and require beating except to run screaming with head dragging on the grass and run straight into a tree and knocked himself out.

VooDoo
Beretta Px4 9mm subcompact, Glock 26 Gen4, Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 Magnum, Ruger LCR .38 Special +P, Colt 1903 Model M .32ACP, Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk .357 Magnum, Ruger Bearcat .22, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, Colt Officers ACP .45, Glock 42
Old July 28, 2014, 11:30 AM   #44
hso

Also keep in mind that if you have a single persistent dog you can dismount with the bike between you and the dog as a shield and use the pepper spray from that position.

As to ammonia, no. We've discussed ammonia before and as Timbo said there's not much reason to use it when pepper spray is available and the spray bottles today you'd put ammonia in aren't very reliable AND the concentration of ammonia that might get into a dog's eyes could actually injure them. There's no good reason to use ammonia these days.

Old July 28, 2014, 12:28 PM   #45
hso

Don't forget that you can legitimately carry a large bike lock with you clipped on the bike and those are very solid items.

Not directly related, but interesting - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimmy_f...tion/cycle.htm

Last edited by hso; July 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:18 PM   #46
Atonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hso View Post
Also keep in mind that if you have a single persistent dog you can dismount with the bike between you and the dog

I've done this several times. I then used my bike (between me and the dog) to aggressively move towards the dog and scare it off. I had pepper spray at the ready, but didn't need to use it.
Old July 28, 2014, 09:02 PM   #47
JoePfeiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
I've talked to some folks that informed me pepper spray didn't seem make any significant affect on the dogs in there situation. No personal experience so far though.

Now the meter readers I've talked to say umbrellas work very well and seem to really confuse the dogs.
There is no magic bullet. It is possible to encounter a dog that for some reason doesn't respond to OC, but it's rare -- lots more stories about dogs being stopped cold than shrugging it off (after a couple of attacks on my dogs in a couple of months I started carrying OC -- it's been several years now, but haven't had to find out for myself how it works).
Old July 28, 2014, 10:59 PM   #48
RJTravel

I've had much experience with dogs therefore read the comments with interest. All of the methods will work with MOST dogs, but would get you hurt with the breeds about which you need to be concerned. For instance, I have seen a Staff/Pit take a full can of pepper spray in the face - even though blinded he was able to tear apart a standard wood fence in his enraged state. Without a vehicle nearby for refuge it is likely he would have killed the guy. Dogs of this genre will not be deterred by ammonia, pepper spray, etc. They will not back down - period. You don't have time for a 'first defense', 'second defense', etc. You get one shot. Forget the sprays. The only sure defenses I have seen are: (1) A suitable handgun, or (2) A 1" hickory stick. The handgun leaves too much hesitation time which will not be available to you, but the stick can save your life. It has mine more than once.

Last edited by RJTravel; July 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 01:01 AM   #49
TimboKhan

In city limits shooting a dog will likely get you arrested. A couple years back I actually had to shoot a dog that came after my mom and I as we were walking along at the farm. Out there it was legal enough and when I drove over to the adjoining property to tell the people what happened, they were understanding and happy we were ok. I don't think that would fly in the city, at all.

I also disagree somewhat with the idea that there are breeds that one should be more concerned with than others. While I agree that certain breeds can certainly be more aggressive, any breed can be vicious and a threat if the circumstances are right. I think you were just saying that those breeds are the worst in the spectrum of potential dog attacks, which is likely true and in which case I do agree. But I do not agree if you were saying that pits or any other breed that people typically identify as dangerous are automatically threats. I worked for a shelter for a number of years and I can count on one hand the issues we had with pits/rottweilers/dobermans or what have you. The list of mutts and other assorted dogs that were vicious is substantially longer.

As a side note, in close quarters give me a mean dog over a mean cat any day... not a single dog ever sent a coworker to the ER on that job, but a 8 pound cat sure did.

Tim "Timbo"Marquart
Old July 29, 2014, 03:39 AM   #50
NulodPBall

I'm more of the full sized bike pump camp.

I used to run and ride alot and it's funny to watch a dog try to bite you when you're riding...their heads follow your feet as your feet go in circles...generally if you pedal fast and long enough the dog gives up as I believe they are concerned with territory usually.

But is is hard to pedal fast when you're waving a pump around, so if you're really worried about getting bit I'd recommend getting off the bike and placing yourself on the other side of the bike from the dog, although I've never had to do this...I just kept pedaling and using the pump to fend off the dog until the dog decided to give up. When you're out running it's harder to keep moving, and if you're on foot I'd recommend a walking stick or "cane". I've had to use a scrap 2x4 laying around but it's hard to run with.

Good luck on your bike riding.