Quantcast
any Uberti Colt fans see this? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 27, 2014, 12:09 AM   #1
BHP FAN

any Uberti Colt fans see this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/151...1-_-Category_3
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old July 27, 2014, 03:34 AM   #2
BCRider

Too short and the wrong caliber to stir up my juices.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:39 AM   #3
kBob

That's a cutie. But if they were selling steam boats for a dime right now all I could do would be run up and down the shore hollering "Ain't that cheap?!?!?"

BTW it looks nice with the 7 & 1/2 inch barrel when you click on that option.

-kBob
Old July 27, 2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Willie Sutton

Too short and the wrong caliber to stir up my juices.

Actually the graphic photo shows the short BBL onel but there's a click-menu to select the longer barrel and the graphic changes when you select it. So they are offering both lengths and let you see both as they are selected. It's just the default view that shows the short one.

Interesting varient of the Colt for those who differentiate between US and London production of these.

Willie

Old July 27, 2014, 12:08 PM   #5
whughett

How does the gated version of the conversion cylinder work. Recoil shield cuts needed to function?
Rambo III
Old July 27, 2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Cooldill

Is this a historically accurate model? I like the 5" bbl one a great deal!
Old July 27, 2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Willie Sutton

^^

Google "London Colt" and read a bit. These were licensed production Colts.

Basic difference is no brass grip frame on the Londons, as Iron was used as a substitute.

Seems like the shorter BBL version is not authentic, but others can chime in on that.

Willie

Old July 27, 2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Cooldill

I was meaning the shorter barreled model. I am well veresed on the London Colts.
Old July 27, 2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

^^

Figured that.

I'm guessing no the bbl length is not historically accurate, and I wouldn't buy one anyhow if it were. But the standard length one looks fine. Not enough difference between it and a brass grip framed one to make me run to my checkbook, but still... it's a nice piece.

Willie

Old July 27, 2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Cooldill

^

Same. I prefer the brass grip framed model anyhow. Looks good though!
Old July 27, 2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Tommygunn

How come the photo shows a brass TG & BS --- I thought the London model had steel --or I guess I should say iron TG&BS that were blued.
Were there other differences between the London and our homespun version?
Old July 27, 2014, 11:31 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

Probably they use one photo for several sub-models.

Willie

Old July 28, 2014, 07:36 AM   #13
JohnnyCremains

Seems like a good deal for a steel frame.
Old July 28, 2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Dframe

Looks like a very nice revolver. Wouldn't mind owning one myself.
Old July 30, 2014, 12:34 AM   #15
BHP FAN

ok, this one's a Pietta...http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...an-44-revolver STEEL frame, under $200.00. Not a big Colt guy, myself, but for you pards who are, it might be a pretty good deal.
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
Old July 30, 2014, 10:32 AM   #16
Willie Sutton

All of the quality reproductions of Colts use a steel frame. "Colt" copies using brass frames are called "Fantasy-Brassers" and have no place in a collection of reproductions that purport to represent historical models previously produced by Colt. They make OK cheap shooters, but have no historical basis. Pietta is famous for making fantasy revolvers of all sorts.

Insofar as "Historically Accurate Reproductions":

What distinguishes the original London production Colts from the US production Colts (and the replicas representing each) is the difference between using a brass (US) and iron (England) GRIP FRAME. Not the Frame which was never brass. The non-structural Grip Frame is the difference.

$200 for a Pietta? <yawn>...

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; July 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old July 30, 2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Cooldill

Yes but the so-called "fantasy brassers" as you put it (first time I've heard the term) make a fun and less expensive way to get people into black powder revolver shooting. That's nothing to complain about methinks.
Old July 30, 2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Willie Sutton

^^

True if you just want to shoot cheap revolvers using reduced loads and know that you will have a finite life expectancy before it's worn out.

Not true for anyone discriminating between the very slight differences between a US made Colt and a British made Colt replica which is what the OP was pointing us towards.

People that buy "London Colt Replicas" as opposed to the "US Colt Replicas" are people that are already generally in an advanced stage of collecting varients of historically accurate replicas. They probably already have multiple examples of other revolvers in their collection. They are generally *way* past buying Fantasy Brassers.

Willie

Old July 30, 2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Crawdad1

I'm hoping that this is a sign that Uberti is finally giving us more options for their revolvers. How about a drift adjustable front sight on the 51' Colt????? Some nice mother of pear grips and there you have the 'Wild Bill" special for shooters and collectors alike. No?
Old July 30, 2014, 12:35 PM   #20
mdauben

Quote:
I'm hoping that this is a sign that Uberti is finally giving us more options for their revolvers.
AFAIK, both those varients have been available for years. I bought a London model Uberti at least two years ago so I know they've been selling them for at least that long. The London model is a sweet gun, too, very nicely built IMO and a good shooter.

Election 2014: When you vote, remember how your Congressmen and women voted on the issues important to you.
Old July 30, 2014, 12:55 PM   #21
Willie Sutton

^^ This. It isn't new.

Thus the when I saw the original posting.

These fly below the radar for most folks as the difference between it and the standard 1860 Army is so slight as to be meaningless to just about everyone.

Willie

Old July 30, 2014, 02:06 PM   #22
BHP FAN

I just thought it was a good deal. No one has even looked at my other post, the Pietta one. A Pietta Colt clone lightly used by a re-enactor, no live rounds ever fired from it. Under $200.00. It's on Gun Boards, it's not mine, just trying to do you Colt guys a favor.
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
Old July 30, 2014, 09:05 PM   #23
Crawdad1

So, this ain't new and now my hope for a "Wild Bill" special is just a pipe dream?