Quantcast
Ok, THR members, where do you buy your real black powder? - Page 5 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 22, 2014, 04:20 PM   #101
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 56 View Post
Powder Inc sells Goex in 25 pound lots for 15.40 a pound including shipping and Hazmat. My local Bass Pro Shops sells Goex for 25.00 a pound. I live in Ca gun shops in small foothill towns sell black powder their prices are all over place. The best way to buy powder is to buy a 25 pound lot and split it with 2 or three guys. These days i make my own screened black powder. I like shooting it in my revolvers. The nice thing about making your own powder is you don't have store large amounts of powder. I can make small batches as i need it. It is easy to make and it does not cost a lot to get started making it.
Yeah my local Bass Pro (well about 70 miles away but closest one) has Goex for sale for $25/1 lb as well. Talk about price gouging!! I know they get enough business to pay for keeping it, the guy at the counter said they had sold several pounds on the same day I asked, the last time I got a can from there!

I now use Graf and Sons, I travel through Mo. quite a bit and hit up Grafs off I-70. $15.99 for the same Goex FFG that Bass Pro sells... talk about awesome!
Old July 22, 2014, 04:52 PM   #102
jgh4445

Powder Inc. For me too.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:30 PM   #103
whughett

Off thread and maybe a repeat, but inquired of my LGS why they did not carry BP, carried the subs. Short answer real tough BATF regs. on storage. aren't even allow to display it has to be kept in a ready locker and moved to a bunker for over nigh or longer storage. Lots of up front dollars outlay for a small store, may have something to do with the high cost at the local. Mine is 19.99, or was a year ago. Started buying in 10 lb. batches online.
Rambo III
Old July 30, 2014, 06:21 PM   #104
kemper

Powder Inc.

I was in the area working so I stopped by Powder Inc in Clarksville,
Arkansas (nice folks) and bought 2 cans of FF powder and one can of
FFF powder for $14 each. That should last me a while
Old July 30, 2014, 07:29 PM   #105
cyberdan

Pyrodex

I'm confused. I thought pyrodex was an improvement over bp. I would be willing to switch to Goex etc. if there was good reason. Local stores in my area carry Goex, and 777, but I don' t know about Swiss. Please enlighten.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:12 PM   #106
Ed Ames

I have heard Pyrodex is more corrosive than BP, and doesn't smell the same. Plus some people are just snobs about their powders.

A friend of mine goes to Hobbes, New Mexico and gets powder from a Goex distributor there for around $15 a pound (I don't remember exactly what he said he pays), but he buys a huge amount...25 lbs at a time or something, and he burns through it at an amazing rate. I try to do my shooting with him because at the range he is very free with his powders. Otherwise I am usually stuck with 777 or other substitutes.
Old August 1, 2014, 03:01 PM   #107
kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdan View Post
I'm confused. I thought pyrodex was an improvement over bp. I would be willing to switch to Goex etc. if there was good reason. Local stores in my area carry Goex, and 777, but I don' t know about Swiss. Please enlighten.
It depends on what you can an "improvement"
Pyrodex is supposed to be cleaner and more stable/less reactive than BP
BUT
I think BP burns hotter and shoots better (at least out of my rifles & pistols) than Pyrodex.
I use both, but prefer Goex Blackpowder
Old August 1, 2014, 03:06 PM   #108
BullSlinger

I shoot em all, subs and the real deal. I have no preference, as long as it goes band and puts the lead where I want.
I have ordered on line and from a local gun store when they had goex.
Old August 2, 2014, 12:01 AM   #109
Gaucho Gringo

I buy mine from Graf & Sons. I try to get all my primers, smokeless and black powder and percussion caps all on one order so I only pay one hazemat fee to cover all my purchases. Requires some planning ahead but it works for me. Some people expect instant gratification but they are the ones who pay through the nose and complain the loudest.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 2-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp