Quantcast
New Guy Here - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 1, 2014, 05:11 PM   #51
rodwha

Talk to DD4 as he has a few options and his prices are excellent. He and Kaido are the only ones I know of that cast and sell other than Lee RN conicals, and Kaido's are just too pricey and why I learned to cast myself ($50/100 + shipping).

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old August 1, 2014, 05:14 PM   #52
TX Mudcat

Nice! So does yours fit in the 1858 cylinder pretty well?
Be sure of this; the wicked will not go unpunished. - Proverbs 11:21
Old August 1, 2014, 05:15 PM   #53
rodwha

Yes, but a fellow reamed my chambers to .449" from .446". It's slightly easier I suppose, but the idea was to get it closer to groove diameter so as to make a better bore seal.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old August 1, 2014, 05:18 PM   #54
rodwha

Casting is relatively easy. The good thing is that you can melt back down any of your mistakes.

I went with cheap Lee casting equipment and spent about $100, which got me a small pot, ladle, 2 RB molds, gloves, eye protection and a small fan (too small it seems). My custom mold cost twice that, but it has 3 different designs in a 5 cavity mold.

Old August 1, 2014, 05:19 PM   #55
TX Mudcat

I'll contact him. Much obliged for all your help.
Old August 1, 2014, 05:21 PM   #56
rodwha

Yes sir!

Old August 1, 2014, 05:25 PM   #57
rodwha

I've been considering having another mold made for my Pietta '58 that drop a heavier bullet than the 195 grn one I have as my 285 grn bullet is rather long and it would likely reduce the powder charge too much. Maybe something between 240-260 grns.

Old August 1, 2014, 05:29 PM   #58
TX Mudcat

You let me know & I'll go in with ya on supply costs.
Old August 1, 2014, 05:32 PM   #59
rodwha

I strongly urge you to look into casting. It's well worth it I believe. And it gives one the ability to do for themselves and not be tied to any issues other than maybe lead availability.

Old August 1, 2014, 05:36 PM   #60
rodwha

Regardless a 195 grn bullet is still likely to be a better penetrator than a 140 something grn RB.

I'm not sure how the perfectly round frontal section of a ball compares to a RN which is often oblong and more pointy than round. But I doubt a ball is close enough to a WFN or wadcutter. I'd still think it closer to a WFN than a RN though judging by the holes in paper.

And I've read of an account in which a ball shot from a pistol made a complete passthrough of a deer's chest. It astounds me what a ball is capable of as it defies what's "known."

Old August 1, 2014, 05:40 PM   #61
rodwha

Do you have a chronograph?

Old August 1, 2014, 07:08 PM   #62
TX Mudcat

I dont. Maybe I should get one in the future. Yeah, I'd love to learn how to cast. The more self reliant the better, I think. Now, these v probably seem like silly questions, but like I said, I'm new to BP, but what would the difference be between a WFN & a wadcutter Be. Are there hollow pints available? Basically, what would do the most damage to a hog (not a man)?
Old August 2, 2014, 11:53 AM   #63
rodwha

A WFN has a slight taper to it whereas a WC does not.

Here is a WC:

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl358-148wc.html

I'm not aware of any HP's, but have contemplated it myself. But it would likely require a modified loading ram as the pressure would likely deform the hollow point cavity. I think you would need to tap the ram so as to be able to screw on a pointy attachment the same dimensions as the hollow point cavity. This way it can't deform it.

Though a hollow point will certainly cause a larger wound, it will also have a more shallow penetration. A .45 cal hole isn't small per se, and those that hunt hogs with pistols use hard cast bullets that won't expand, and this from magnums.

Old August 2, 2014, 07:02 PM   #64
TX Mudcat

Alright then, I'm sold. WFN it is.
Thanks for your help.