Quantcast
conceal carry holster?? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 25, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1
old fart

conceal carry holster??

i have a 4 inch barrel ruger service six, i am going to get my permit soon and untill i can get a smaller gun the ruger will be my carry gun. i have tried to check online but i can't figure anything out with all the models of holsters. i can't afford a lot of money but don't want something that will break in a few times carrying either. i saw a uncle mikes in the waist band holster size 2 for $12-$16 on ebay as the cheapest that look made well. how about some others that ya'll use?, thanks for any help.
Old July 26, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Onward Allusion

IWB carry for a 4" revolver? Wow, I could not do it . . .

I recently picked up one of these . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANCAKE-BELT...item2c82024b8e

It's light and appears to be durable enough for daily use. It was right around $20 total w/shipping.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 27, 2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Dot_mdb

Forget about the Uncle Mikes #2. I bought one for a S&W 10-5 4" barrel. The holster is way too big for the gun. I used a safety pin to improve the fit. The plastic clip that would hold it to the belt is cheap and will either break or not hold securely. I use those holsters for temporary storage but I would never carry a gun in one.

Bill
Old July 27, 2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Sam1911

The best really inexpensive holster shop I've found is Rays. http://www.shado.com/

$40 would be bargain basement for a quality holster, but I've got one (the "Sable") for my 4" 629 that's seen years of competition use and is just about good as new (maybe better)!

Avoid the nylon crappy floppies if you have any choice at all.

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old July 27, 2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Dot_mdb

Carrying a 4" revolver

You can carry a 4" revolver IWB. I sometimes carry my 10-5. I carry it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB holster made for a 2.75" Speed Six. The 10-5 weighs less than the Service Six because it has a smaller diameter cylinder and a tapered barrel. But if you can take the weight it will be a pretty good carry gun.

Bill
Old July 27, 2014, 10:28 PM   #6
ahtoxa

Uncle Mike's aren't usually the best holsters - the fit and usability can be questionable.

I use Theis holsters.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Sam1911

Now if you really want an IWB, I'd suggest Hoffners. I've got their "Miurage" also for my 4" 629 and it is a really nice rig. I did move one of the straps, but that's easy in Kydex.

That's $60 these days, though.

http://hoffners.com/13-revolver-holsters

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old July 27, 2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Quote:
The best really inexpensive holster shop I've found is Rays. http://www.shado.com/

$40 would be bargain basement for a quality holster, but I've got one (the "Sable") for my 4" 629 that's seen years of competition use and is just about good as new (maybe better)!
They are good holsters for any money and are comparable to Galco, Biancchi, or DeSantis. I have the 110R. One feature that many snap retention holsters do not have that the Shado's do is an adjustable snap. It allows your holster to perfectly your gun. Unfortunately they don't have one designed for the Service Six, but perhaps one made for S&W's will fit.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 28, 2014, 08:15 PM   #9
old fart

are these good holsters?, i found these on ebay: Safariland Custom Fit Paddle Belt Holster Smith & Wesson K & L Frame 568-09-411
Old July 29, 2014, 12:34 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

Safariland makes good duty retention holsters. If you are looking for a paddle holster, my personal preference are the Fobus holsters. I have one of these for a k-frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fobus-Paddle...item20e8cc84f8

Easy on/off and it will hold onto your revolver. If it's a bit loose, use a heat gun to soften/tighten up the trigger retention area for a tighter grip.

Old July 29, 2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Onward Allusion

One comment about nylon pancake holsters. The user can wear the belt on top of the holster rather than the traditional below the holster body method. This way the gun belt gives additional support to the lighter weight and more flexible material. It works rather well as long as you have an additional hole in your belt.

Old July 31, 2014, 11:50 AM   #12
old fart

does safariland make good stuff?, i found a dealer that has offered me 2 new safailand model 568 holsters for just $50. it's his last 2 and when i messaged him on a lower price as he had 1 for $36 he gave me this deal. what do ya'll think? thanks
Old July 31, 2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Sam1911

Yeah, most of their stuff seems decent. Aimed a lot at duty gear for law enforcement, but some decent things for more discrete use too, I think.

-D. Stanhope

My Knife Showroom
Old July 31, 2014, 11:29 PM   #14
old fart

i have found some iwb holsters on ebay, they are american made, leather, steel clip and with lifetime warranty. however they told me that they make they're holsters for modern guns only and the service six isn't on they're list. they have holsters for gp100, one for sp101 then they have s&w k frame holster and a s&w l frame holster. then a taurus 65 and 66 holster then taurus tracker. and a rossi 971. which would be closer to my gun? it's got me puzzled, this is my first looking for these holsters as i normally just open carry. thanks for any help
Old August 3, 2014, 07:05 AM   #15
Lucky Derby

S&W K frame would be the closest. Without knowing who made them it's difficult to give a recommendation on them either way.