Quantcast
Remington ………the revolver of choice - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 13, 2014, 07:16 PM   #26
RPRNY

Euro arms may indeed have offered the Lothar-Walther barrel on their target 1858. I can't confirm from personal knowledge.

This chamber reaming that is so often advised can be very dangerous. Especially in older Piettas with substantially underbore chambers. Chamber wall thickness on some cylinders is marginal, especially on the likes of the old ASM. They made a pretty gun but made them from a chocolate and tin alloy. Reaming such chambers even 005. - .006 represents a serious risk. Further, a chamber that is .003" or so under groove diameter is no great issue. While the inverse is to be desired (note ROA specs above), using appropriately soft lead BHN 8 -9 will allow for sufficient obturation with any 25 gr BP charge to fill groove diameter.

If the chamber diameter is more than .005" under groove diameter, that gun is a novelty item and noise maker and getting it to shoot somewhat accurately will be a labor to say the least.
Old June 13, 2014, 08:38 PM   #27
Mike OTDP

.457 RBs are the normal load for an original Remington...and the original guns may have been the most accurate service pistol ever issued. An original in good shape will hold 13 shots in 2 inches or less at 25 yards.
Old June 13, 2014, 09:41 PM   #28
Old Fuff

Quote:
Reaming such chambers even 005. - .006 represents a serious risk.
It shouldn't be if one uses reasonable judgment concerning the platform they are working on in the first place. Also the chambers should only be reamed to ball seating depth, and under no conditions should it go deep enough to cut under the bolt notches in the back.

It has been my experience that when the chamber swages the ball to .002-.003"" over barrel groove diameter you'll get most of the best accuracy you can from that particular revolver. Changing the barrel to match the chambers is also an alternative to reaming, but you may have to go to Europe to get the barrel blank.
Old June 13, 2014, 10:07 PM   #29
Crawdad1

Quote:
Your Colt 1860 replica may need a chamber reaming job and a little work on the action/trigger pull, but I can assure you that any big groups are not the revolver's fault. Been there/done that.

I agree there 100%!!!

Also Sir, the reverse is true, whenever I heard a "good shot" I would always remind them, "heck, I was just the dummy pulling the trigger it was the rifle (or revolver) that did all of the work"
Old June 14, 2014, 12:10 AM   #30
RPRNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fuff View Post
It shouldn't be if one uses reasonable judgment concerning the platform they are working on in the first place. Also the chambers should only be reamed to ball seating depth, and under no conditions should it go deep enough to cut under the bolt notches in the back.
With this I must concur.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:15 PM   #31
Crawdad1

Here's the Hege Remington with a very good shooter behind it guys. At 25 yards standing, one hand hold:

http://percussionrevolvers.com/index...3&topic=937.15

Doesn't say if its an older Hege FWB built or the newer Hege offering.

Last edited by Crawdad1; August 2, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:36 PM   #32
mec

dude surely can shoot.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:15 AM   #33
Crawdad1

I can't verify this as I don't compete in these type of matches but the Pedersoli built Remmy is doing well also in international competitions. But, I don't know where someone can buy them here in the States.
Old August 3, 2014, 02:32 AM   #34
BHP FAN

Dixie Gunworks used to carry them.I had thought they were Pedersoli, too, but I guess I was wrong.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=4098
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by BHP FAN; August 3, 2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:43 AM   #35
Crawdad1

Pietta may provide Pedersoli with the rough forgings, I don't know. I had a Pietta 'Target Model' not this 'Shooters Model' back in the 80's that had an adjustable rear sight mounted on the top strap but the front sight was fixed. I remember though the sight was real sloppy and the sight picture hardly precise.

Last edited by Crawdad1; August 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM.