Quantcast
Rogers & Spencer anyone? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 20, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
RWMC

Rogers & Spencer anyone?

Does anyone still make a replica Rogers & Spencer revolver? From what I have read, they sounded like they were very nice shooters. Thanks for the info.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Lightning12

The only R&S reproductions being made were manufactured by Euroarms and Pedersoli, but these are both out of production. As far as I know, there are none being made by anyone right now.

You can find Euroarms models for sale on gunbroker or on cowboy action shooting classifieds from time to time. I got one off the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) classifieds a couple of years ago.

Chaz
Old July 20, 2014, 09:22 PM   #3
EljaySL

It's unfortunate because they're really great shooters. I managed to get one locally at a semi-decent price (lower than gunbroker anyway).
Old July 21, 2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Hellgate

As shooters they are great. As competition guns they are slow to cock because of the long reach to the hammer.

SASS #3302 (Life), Regulator
NRA Life
SCORRS
Old July 21, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
mackg

The R&S has become very scarce since Pedersoli bought Euroarms. The website is still there though:

http://www.euroarms.net/euroarms_net...s_netRoger.htm

Feinverkbau makes/made one at a price which wouldn't be realistic here.
Old July 21, 2014, 06:21 PM   #6
bonza

I had a Euroarms R&S, nice accurate revolver but the grips are too big for my hand & I find the '58 Remington to be a better fit.

Garrison Keillor: Lake Wobegon Days
Old July 24, 2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Dave Markowitz

My favorite black powder revolver. Buy one if you can find one for sale.

Old July 27, 2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Phantom Captain

I really love mine too. I bought one from a member on this board for a great price and have loved it since the first shot. They really are great shooters. It's quickly risen to the top of my favorite BP revolvers.

"Well Govan, if we are to die then let us die like men." ~Gen. Patrick Cleburne
Old July 27, 2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Dframe

In a complicated trade I ended up with two of them. One with fixed sights and one with adjustable. I haven't yet fired the adjustable but the other one is very accurate, easily on par with my ROA.
Old July 29, 2014, 07:23 AM   #10
whughett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
In a complicated trade I ended up with two of them. One with fixed sights and one with adjustable. I haven't yet fired the adjustable but the other one is very accurate, easily on par with my ROA.
Had a, what I think was a fair bid, on the one currently listed on Gunbroker. Out bid so will be interesting to see what some one will pay for one. Listing still has six days to go.
Rambo III
Old July 29, 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Willie Sutton

You can count on any unique design being discussed here to sell in a Gunbroker auction being held at the same time for about 1.3X the normal sale price. Give it two weeks after the discussion ends and prices revert to normal. Think only registered members and the regular contributors read this forum?

Betya 400 people went and Googled Rogers & Spencer as soon as the discussion started and ten of them decided they needed one.

It's the reason I never discussed Centaure's until I had a dozen of them...

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; July 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:01 PM   #12
EljaySL

It's nothing to do with us. When I was watching them on Gunbroker about a year ago, the "london finish" would go for $450 and the blued for $400. I think I paid $300 for a blued one locally but I'm not sure at this point, might have been a bit higher.
Old July 29, 2014, 09:46 PM   #13
mykeal

R&S prices reflect the fact that it is the only real competition for a Ruger Old Army.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Willie Sutton

^^ You really think they compare?

Serious question, as I've never even seen one.

Willie

Old July 29, 2014, 11:43 PM   #15
dickydalton

I see a couple authentic ones on there, too. Pretty spendy, those.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:06 PM   #16
mykeal

Willie - no, I do not think they compare, equally. I do think highly of the R&S, however, enough so that I consider it the nearest cap and ball design to the ROA, and thus competition. To be specific, significantly better than the Remington New Army in any of its incarnations. In my opinion.

Just to be clear, for those who haven't seen my thoughts on this subject, the ROA has no peer - it is the best cap and ball revolver, period. In my opinion.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:33 PM   #17
Dframe

My R&S can easily equal my ROA in the accuracy department. As far as the rest goes yes the ruger is ahead. Far better sights, and better handling. Though it's fragile nipple removal system could use improvement, and the rammer cylinder assembly would be better if it didn't fall apart every time you remove the cylinder.
Old August 2, 2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Dave Markowitz

IMHO, the R&S does compare favorably with the ROA (I have both).

Certainly the Ruger is stronger but the R&S is more than strong enough. For me, the R&S handles better, as it's a little lighter. The Ruger has better sights.

The Ruger is an interesting combination of features:

1. Modern Ruger lockwork.
2. The loading lever is derived from the R&S.
3. The cylinder is derived from the 1858 Remington.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:29 AM   #19
whughett

Been on the quest for one since a fellow let me try his last winter. Six shots and I was hooked. Course he is a competivie shooter and his R&S was not box stock. It was a Euro though.
Rambo III
Old August 2, 2014, 11:23 AM   #20
Malachi Leviticus Blue

It took me a while to truly appreciate my first Rogers & Spencer copy. It was the second cap & ball revolver I owned, and the only thing I had to compare it to at the time was the ASM Brass Frame "Navy" 44 that got me hooked on BP when I was a teenager.
Old August 3, 2014, 05:10 PM   #21
Gaucho Gringo

I have one also. The frame on mine is turning plum color. The originals were the last new large bore cap & ball revolver designed and produced in the US. They were able to make use of advancing technology and design in firearms since the Colts and Remingtons had been introduced, cutting edge in today's terms.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 2-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp