Quantcast
pepper spray versus stun gun - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: which is better for his daughter (think Jr high age)
Stun gun 2 3.85%
mace 4 7.69%
Pepper Spray 46 88.46%
Other (Post in thread) 3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2014, 07:12 PM   #26
ugaarguy

Bobson, thank you for the correction on genetic immunity vs tolerance built from exposure and vice-versa on the OC vs CN/CS.
Old July 30, 2014, 12:02 AM   #27
IlikeSA

I voted OC because of her age, coupled with the effectiveness of OC on a variety of dangers, like dogs. Of the OC, I would recommend the stream.
Old July 30, 2014, 03:07 AM   #28
col_temp

Thanks all. This has been an interesting discussion to follow.
Hope others searching will pick up some useful tips as well.
Will pass on the info!
"A prudent man sees evil and hides himself, The naive proceed and pay the penalty." Prov. 27:12
Old August 1, 2014, 12:51 PM   #29
Big Shrek

CS is of limited use in cultures that heavily use Crab Boil on a weekly basis...
However, the marking dye kind does help LEO's get the bad guy!

Another downside is reflection...squirted a guy once and it ricocheted off his face and got the two guys
standing next to/slightly behind him as well...that can be a good thing, or you just squirted your help too...
in any case, after using CS, whatever room you are in will be uninhabitable to most folks for a couple hours...

Martial Arts, Martial Arts, Martial Arts...even Tai Chi helps!!
Old August 1, 2014, 02:31 PM   #30
Madcap_Magician

Another reminder to make sure you check the legality in your state. IIRC in mine you have to be 16 to carry defensive sprays, and in the state next door, spray containing marking dye is illegal. Go figure.
Old August 3, 2014, 03:45 PM   #31
Deltaboy

Pepper spray give me better reach than the Stun gun.
Old August 4, 2014, 03:00 AM   #32
Charlie Horse

I went with other. As noted above, the "stun gun" is a threat, not so much a weapon. Actual tasers are more effective, but you have to hit them with both probes, and they do spread out. They say not to aim for the torso because of the risk of cardiac issues. (A subject was tased once, and his rhythm was converted TO normal sinus according to a news story, but I digress)

OC spray is good, but there are those who do not respond. High threshold for pain, and believe it or not, diet have something to do with it. ASs someone said above, the combination sprays are the best bet here. OC + CN + dye is what you want, preferably with the nonflammable propellant in case they end up being tased later...

I'm carrying Freeze +P 2K3 which is easily obtained. You can look at the specs for it and its siblings here. http://www.aerko.com/aerosol-specs/ We just changed over to it from and older spray, and had to be sprayed all over again. It will put the average man out of action for 15-30 minutes. Very nasty.

Of course, check your local laws before buys so you stay out of trouble...

"Come to think of it, the same could be said for a student of history." Me
Old August 4, 2014, 12:45 PM   #33
RustyShackelford

Taser C2s.....

I wouldn't consider the Taser C2 super expensive, it retails for $299.00 with $399.00 for the "gold" package.
The C2 offers a bright white light & red laser aiming unit too. It does not have a "gun" shape & is available in bright colors/patterns to avoid mistakes or confusion with a firearm. Strange as it sounds, some sworn LE officers & security guards have drawn guns rather than EDWs by mistake.
I like the C2 red style. I've seen a few security officers carrying C2s, . The charge runs approx 30sec. The Taser spreads tiny ID tags like glitter all over the subject too.
The larger X2 model is pricey for the general public. About $1200.00 USD. It can be used on multiple subjects which is good but it's not as practical as the C2. Taser Intl sold the X3 for a few years but cut it. It was meant for large(3 or more aggressors) but the weapon looked & felt like a hair dryer.
A medium size PD near me issued X3s but I think they converted to the Taser LE version of the X2. My city got the upgraded X26 model for the patrol officers(700+).
If I were a sworn LE officer or federal agent, Id get a X2. It's larger than a X26 but can deal with multiple subjects. Taser redid the internal design & power output too.

Andre Agassi