Quantcast
Question about bedding an action - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 5, 2014, 04:50 AM   #1
gamestalker

Question about bedding an action

I'm not new to bedding actions, but I am new with regard to making these cheap hollow plastic stocks, such as that which Rem. is using on their rifles. High quality after market stocks, and conventional wood stocks are a piece of cake to bed, very straight forward.

But bedding these hollow stocks is a whole different world, as it required filling the voids in the recoil block to add the necessary integrity, as well as everything forward of the recoil lug recess to attain a rigid stiff fore end stock, so that I could free float the barrel. This has all gone very well.

My intention is to ensure / prevent any chance of the action rotating, or trying to twist when fired. Currently the bottom of the recoil lug is not making contact at the bottom, that won't change, unless someone should advise other wise. So I'm considering filling in the the void along the sides of the lug, giving it a tight fit so it can't rotate at all, even after long time exposure to several hundred or more high recoil 300 WM rounds.

GS
Old August 5, 2014, 10:03 AM   #2
natman

The recoil lug should have one and only one job - to control the rearward movement of the action during recoil. Bed the rear of the lug but mask off the sides and bottom. If you bed the bottom of the lug you run the risk of having the action teetering on the bottom of the lug. If you bed the sides the action will be difficult to remove from the stock.

The receiver should be bedded enough to control up and down and rotational movement.
Old August 5, 2014, 05:06 PM   #3
gamestalker

Thanks Natman. The bottom is free of contact. I just didn't know about whether or not to bed the sides of the lugs for rotational concerns.

So I guess I'm good to go.

Now it's time to tackle the next one in line.

GS