Quantcast
Tired of the Same Old Rifles ? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 4, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Gun Master

Tired of the Same Old Rifles ?

I'm tired of every military/hunting rifle that I see, looks the same.
They all seem to be similar to the AR-15 (M-16) or the AK-47.

I like the K-43 (G-43) and the M-14, but both are not within my budget. Same with the M-1.
Therefore, I've settled on the SKS.

What do you think? Would you like to see more affordable, new and different designs? Or maybe it's just me?

It's still a free country, for now.

Last edited by Gun Master; August 4, 2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Details.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:09 PM   #2
burrhead

Well, seems like a wide open field for you to design, manufacture, and market something new.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
chicharrones
Contributing Member

No love for the Mini-14 or Mini-30?
Old August 4, 2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Mosin Bubba

Seems like you'd enjoy a Mini. A good semi auto, and something a little different than an AK or an AR.
Old August 4, 2014, 07:41 PM   #5
WestKentucky

Mimi is wood and steel not Tupperware and crap hanging off in all directions. Pleasant change. Then there's the cx4. It's not my cup of tea but it's a well built gun that's not the normally seen item.
Old August 4, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6
FireInCairo

I've been looking around and I'm finding there are a bunch of poor-man's M1A's on the market and I'm interested in buying one so I suppose I'm with you.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Dr.Rob

Find a super Vepr in 308. Has the wood steel look of a proper Planet of the Apes rifle.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:50 PM   #8
sappyg

^^^^ I agree on the VEPR. A guy on the line was sighting in one in 7.62x54 last Saturday. Sweet rifle all the way around. Had a kind of unusual loudness to it though.
Old August 4, 2014, 10:03 PM   #9
BullfrogKen
Moderator Pluribus

I can't imagine a better time in history to be alive for the firearms market.

With enough patience and coin you can have most any traditional arm ever mass-produced.

And you have access to modern rifles either unaffordable or completely unavailable to earlier generations.

I know what you don't like, but I'm not sure what it is you're after.

NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Across-the-Course
NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Mid-Range Prone

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old August 4, 2014, 10:18 PM   #10
TrickyDick

C93 isn't too bad. But i know what you're saying. something with a different edge.

"Who is John Galt?"
Old August 4, 2014, 10:47 PM   #11
barnbwt

"Tired of the Same Old Rifles?"
-Yes'um.
"Fed up with nothing but AR's and AK's as far as the eye can see?"
-Hell, yes'um!

VZ58, all the way. Like an SKS and an AK had a baby, and a good one at that. You'll discover that the Czechs made a design superior to the AK in practically every way.

TCB
Old August 4, 2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Welding Rod

Maybe a Tavor or PS90 or FS2000?

I have been thrilled with the novelty of my PS90.
Old August 4, 2014, 11:03 PM   #13
Robert

I love my AR. I love my FAL. I enjoy my my mini, I love my 375H&H. I love the variety of firearms available today. There is something for everyone.I have no use for an AK pattern weapon but I fully understand that others love them so that is fine. I don't have any use for a lot of the firearms out there but someone else does. And that is the beautiful thing.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old August 5, 2014, 05:13 AM   #14
C.R.

how about that Israli Galil (probably mis spelled)sort of looks like they combined a ak and a M-16 ?
Old August 5, 2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Tirod

Why do most of the pistols look like 1911's or Glocks these days? I can't afford a P7, and the price of a new HiPower is out of reach. Why can't they make something like the Bren 10?

Because the factory production of firearms at competitive prices is based on meeting market demand - what sells the most at any given time. 25 years ago the handgun market was mostly revolver based, with a few Euro service pistol designs and the 1911 thrown in. Now, it's mostly service polymer pistols or cut down versions, double stack double action.

Want something else, so do others, they bid up the price on those guns due to more market demand for the much smaller quantity available. Price a P7 lately, expect near retail for a 25 year old used gun. Or more.

That is why the models listed as being "too high" aren't in the range of being "affordable" for some. And there's nothing wrong with avoiding military arms - in terms of style or fashion, they rarely have any. Compared to a '50's Weatherby bolt gun, they are sadly lacking in what some call finesse or elegance.

That is caused by the collective desire of the public buying what they do - and this too shall pass. Being as fickle as they are, the interest will swing to the other side in a few years, and those who find themselves surrounded by what the previously loved as an exception tend to make a new decision to get away from all the new owners and their braggadocio. Their interest moves - observe the masses and do the opposite - which restores a sense of balance in Not Being Mainstream.

I don't own a smart phone. I don't own a car less than ten years old. I own my house. I don't have cable or satellite. I built my AR.

In ten years about all I will own is a smartphone, I won't be able to drive, I'll be living in eldercare, I will have cable/sat, and the Home won't let me have any firearms at all.

Won't that be a change?

Just putting a perspective check into the conversation. Enjoy what you like while you can.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:41 PM   #16
akv3g4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.R.
how about that Israli Galil (probably mis spelled)sort of looks like they combined a ak and a M-16 ?
If an M1A is out of the budget I'm pretty sure a Galil is as well.

I agree with some of the above posts; either an H&K clone like the C93 or the VZ2008. Both are a little unique.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Stephen1956

Yugo SKS is a good hunting rifle pretty accurate I had one wish I'd kept it I paid $89.00 for one in 2004 but when times get hard sometimes you have to let them go.
Old August 5, 2014, 09:07 PM   #18
Sheepdog1968

I will come from a different angle. Will also assume u have something for self defense so this isn't your only rifle. How about a Ruger No 1? It is different and would likely draw a crowd of admirers at the range.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old August 5, 2014, 10:03 PM   #19
highpower

Just get a FAL

Old August 5, 2014, 10:06 PM   #20
Geno

After owning, and using so many firearms, they have come all to look the same to me: utilitarian. Sometimes I just get bored to death with my firearms, and pick up a good book to read. Nothing wrong with being bored of what is available at the "affordable" level. Some day, when I'm rich, I'll have a gunsmith build me an M70 controlled-round feed, Featherweight .30-30 Win, with iron sights, and a removable single stack magazine. Why? Have you ever seen one? Nope...unique, but still "utilitarian".

Geno

Guns are good;
Guns are great;
Please Lord help those who us hate.
Give us this day our daily lead,
and hunting land well call a spread.
If I should die here on this day,
I pray for guns in Heaven with which to play.

Amen,

Doc2005
02-Nov-2006
Old August 6, 2014, 10:36 AM   #21
03teufel

Quote:
I'm tired of every military/hunting rifle that I see, looks the same.
It might be time to consider checking out the milsurp market. The Mosins, Carcano, Arisakas, Springfields, Lee Enfields, Mausers, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine can all be had for less than the semi autos that you're saying are out of your price range. Milsurps can be either cheap or expensive depending on how far you want to go into collecting, you can set your own pace. You could knock out three Mosin models (M91/30, M38, M44) for $500 if you look hard enough.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:23 PM   #22
Milkmaster

Mini 14 or Mini 30. Old ones can be made more accurate. New ones ARE more accurate. All are highly customizable if that is your thing. Like other guns, all it takes is money.