Quantcast
TC hawken aging - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 4, 2014, 08:39 AM   #1
WestKentucky

TC hawken aging

I read somewhere (probably on here) that the first year of TC hawkens were the only ones to have case hardened lock plates. Can anyone confirm or deny? I noticed this weekend my lock plate is case hardened and I was curious about the accuracy of that comment that I remember from somewhere.
Old August 4, 2014, 05:25 PM   #2
mykeal

All of mine (5) but one have color case hardened locks. Two of them are kit guns. The one that does not have the cch lock is a custom shop build with a polished black finish.
Old August 4, 2014, 11:48 PM   #3
AJumbo

I believe that all the regular production TC locks were casehardened. There are actually better ways to date TC pieces by comparing their bolster cleanout holes, tang bolt arrangements, sights, barrel stampings, the level of detail in the triggerguards, the shape of the hammers...... and no way am I getting into it right now. Perhaps if you could post some pics, I could take a swing at it; better still, send TC an e-mail with the serial number and see what you get back.

In this day of internet lists of EVERYTHING, I'm willing to bet that there's a blackpowder or TC forum somewhere that can scratch your itch.
Old August 5, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
WestKentucky

No real itch, just thought I had read that and wanted to confirm or deny. One way or the other it's a hunk of steel screwed to a hunk of wood with some pretty brass stuff stuck to it. I just like to know the history of my guns as much as possible. If it bothers me much I will send TC an email.
Old August 5, 2014, 07:47 AM   #5
mykeal

TC can't provide production dates based on serial number; their production records for the Hawken were lost in a fire.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:15 AM   #6
WestKentucky

That excuse is far too common in the industry. TC isn't that old of a company either.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:46 PM   #7
J-Bar

I bought mine new in 1999, and it displays case hardening/ coloring on the side plate. I have no idea what the 1st year was.
Old August 5, 2014, 09:51 PM   #8
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Kentucky
That excuse is far too common in the industry. TC isn't that old of a company either.
So, what are you saying? They're lying about it?
Old August 5, 2014, 11:10 PM   #9
WestKentucky

No but it seems that everybody has lost records in a fire. Even in the late 19th century it wasn't so much a novel idea that if you wanted to protect something you built a brick structure with iron beams and used clay or tin roofing.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Milkmaster

I also have the TC Hawken. In my opinion it is the best of the hawken gun choices out there. At least this one has quality materials and workmanship on it. Mine was not a kit gun, dates back a while, and I have the original box with it. I tried at least 10 years ago to date the gun, but was also told the records were lost. Please post here again if you find a source for the dating on them.
Old August 7, 2014, 09:44 AM   #11
BigG

I bought a 50 cal T/C Hawken flintlock in 1989 and shot the thing quite a lot with maxiballs and patched round ball. Nothing like a flintlock to teach you to make every shot count.

Last edited by BigG; August 7, 2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fixed date
Old August 7, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Browning Guy

I've got a factory built Hawkin I've been throwing smoke out of since 1975. It has a case hardened lock plate and another kit I built in 1980 also had one.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Zeke/PA

My built from kit early 80's T/C Hawkin has a case hardened lock as does my T/C Seneca close to the same era.
Old August 10, 2014, 08:16 PM   #14
BigG

Besides, any "casehardening" on those T/C locks is paint.