Quantcast
Cylinder bushings stuck in Cimarron SAA - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 6, 2014, 12:54 PM   #1
mikechandler

Cylinder bushings stuck in Cimarron SAA

I picked up a pair of used Model P Cimarrons, they have the cat 537 written on the box... they were a deal (I thought) at $700 for the pair from the used gun room of cabelas. Unfortunately they would not let me remove the base pins at the store. They did come with 45ACP conversion cylinders (that model comes with 45LC/45ACP cylinders). On the outside, they're beauties with the charcoal case-hardening and deep blue finish.

Taking them home, and pulling the pins, I think they are the filthiest guns I've ever seen. In any case the bushings cannot come out of three of the cylinders. After really working on one with CLP, cold air, I was able to knock one out from the back, using a soft brass rod and a gunsmith hammer.

Should all four of these cylinders have bushings? Both on the 45 colt and the 45 ACP cylinders? What's the best advisable way to get them out?

Thanks!
Old August 6, 2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Willie Sutton

Having a few of these and never having removed the bushings...

I guess the operative question is "why do you feel the need?"

Willie

Old August 6, 2014, 01:05 PM   #3
mikechandler

The bushings should be removed and cleaned. The cylinder should rotate on the bushing, not the base pin. Just like a real Colt SAA. If you've shot BP you really don't want to leave it in that gap - it will not only jam your bushing, it will slowly erode your cylinders center hole.
Old August 6, 2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Kp321

You need a more agressive penetrant than CLP. If you can find some Kano Kroil, it is the best over the counter penetrating oil there is. A home brewed concoction that gets good reviews is automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and acetone, half and half I think. Whatever you use, apply often and give it time, might take a week to do the job.
Old August 6, 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
mikechandler

Hey KP, that did the job. They're all popped out. Thanks for the tip!
Old August 6, 2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Kp321

Glad it worked for you. Did you use Kano or ATF/acetone? I have lots of Kano so have never tried the other concoction.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Jim K

"The cylinder should rotate on the bushing, not the base pin."

The only reason for the bushing is so it can be fitted without taking a chance on ruining an expensive cylinder. Strictly a manufacturing technique; any fancied advantage otherwise is just that, fancied.

Jim
Old August 6, 2014, 09:41 PM   #8
rcmodel
Contributing Member

+ 1

I do not agree either.
The cylinder should Not rotate on the bushing at all.

The only reason they used a removable bushing was so it could be easily replaced & refitted when it got beat into submission and end-shake became a problem.

You do not want the cylinder rotating on the bushing, because that will eventually wear out the hole in the cylinder.

Colt sold base pin bushings that were longer to take up end-shake.
Not bigger around to fit a worn out cylinder bushing hole.

They are supposed to be tight enough to 'prevent' the cylinder from turning on them.
But loose enough they can be slipped out for cleaning or easy replacement.

The cylinder & bushing is 'supposed' to rotate on the base pin.

rc

Last edited by rcmodel; August 6, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:42 PM   #9
mikechandler

I used the concoction, I had ATF and acetone in my garage.

"They are supposed to be tight enough to 'prevent' the cylinder from turning on them.
But loose enough they can be slipped out for cleaning or easy replacement."

As for the function of the cylinder bushing, I guess I do not know why or how it works or what it's supposed to do... having heard many fancified reasons myself... but I do know for certain that it needs to be cleaned.
Old August 7, 2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Jim K

"it needs to be cleaned"

Not really, any more than a hole without a bushing, like the Remingtons. I have seen enough bushings almost "welded in" by rust and time to know that the old timers rarely if ever removed them for cleaning, or even knew that they were there. The guns still worked fine.

Jim
Old August 7, 2014, 05:52 PM   #11
mikechandler

Sounds good Jim. You do what works for you.

As for me concerning black powder, I'll be cleaning the cylinder bushings.

Thanks a bunch.

Old August 7, 2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Jim K

Just remember that not all Colt SAA's and clones have bushings, so best not to use a lot of force on the ones that don't.

Jim
Old August 21, 2014, 04:11 PM   #13
mikechandler

Just a little bit o follow up:

I did get them out with a brass rod and some very light tapping. Then I cleaned them.. there was some rust unfortunately. Everything's good now, and they are a slip fit. I got help from the SASS wire, where the consensus from the cowboy action shooting crowd was you'd better be cleaning them every day you shoot if you're shooting BP.

Both guns function flawless now, and I can shoot BP all day without the cylinders gumming up. Life is good, lovin' these guns!