Quantcast
Shotguns For Coyote Hunting - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 1, 2014, 11:06 PM   #26
wankerjake

I don't have a specialty shotgun, my 870 does everything for me. I've thought about an 11-87 and if I ever get back into predators regularly I may pull the trigger on one. Shotgunning predators is my favorite way to get them.

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow."
Old August 5, 2014, 05:42 PM   #27
gamestalker

My Son and his coyote slaying friends often use "OO" buck on yotes. It's not unusual for them to get them within 10 or 15 feet, making high powered rifle useless.

But it depends on how close ya all are bringing them in to you. Personally, I prefer using an electric call set up at 100 yds. or more away. I like shooting them with super high velocity HP's, red spray.

GS
Old August 9, 2014, 10:01 PM   #28
sage5907

When I was in my early teens back in the late 1950's I spent a lot of time with a government hunter getting rid of coyotes. I think he mostly took me along to open gates but he got rid of dozens of coyotes each year. He did the predator calling from a high position using a pre 64 model 70 25-06 loaded with a 100 grain bullets and 53 grains of government surplus 4831 powder. I lay in the grass about 30 yards in front of him with a Remington Model 11 automatic shotgun with a 26 inch barrel and a cutts compensator with a improved cylinder choke. If the coyotes ran across in front of us or popped up in the tall grass, sage brush and scrub oak close enough for me to shoot I would blast them with a load of 00 buckshot. Oklahoma has an arid climate and being close to the ground every shotgun blast would fill my eyes with dirt. The 00 ammo was furnished by the govt so he didn't care how many rounds I fired. Rambo was alive an well a long time before Silvester Stalone hit the big screen. It was loud and dirty but effective on coyotes. It wasn't long before I graduated to a 25-06 of my own!

Last edited by sage5907; August 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:42 PM   #29
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
I popped one about the head and frontal area at about 25 yards with a dove load, 7.5 low brass 12 gauge. Knocked him down, he got up and ran off. He probably died, I hope.

I load with 3 buck in my chicken protection gun, waiting to see how it works, though. Should be fine. The woods are thick around here and I'll have no farther than a 50 yard shot.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:03 PM   #30

Most of the coyotes in my hunting area are taken by deerhunters in centerfire rifle season.Every thing from .223 to .300 mag.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:13 PM   #31
rszwieg

One reason shotguns are popular here is because some screwball law won't let us use a light to shoot coyotes at night. BBs early and #4 buck later in the winter.