Quantcast
Lee enfield ejection - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 6, 2014, 06:01 PM   #1
351 WINCHESTER

Lee enfield ejection

I have a no. 5 mk 1 that ejects live rounds just fine. The problem is that an empty case will barely make it out of the rifle. Does not matter how hard I work the bolt. I switched ejectors with a friends rifle and made no difference.

What gives?
Old August 6, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Jim K

Sounds like a weak extractor spring, or the inside of the left sidewall is so rough the case is not making it to the ejector.

Jim
Old August 6, 2014, 09:29 PM   #3
351 WINCHESTER

The spring is tight and the left side of the receiver is smooth as can be. It just does not make sense. It will throw a loaded round a good foot, but an empty case is lucky to make it out of the gun.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:52 AM   #4
MartinS

Have another magazine to try it with?
Old August 14, 2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Jim K

Don't forget that the force of the ejection on the L-E action depends on the force of the bolt movement. The live round is heavy at the front end and has a lot of momentum, while the fired case is pretty light and it takes a snappy bolt movement to throw it out.

Jim
Old August 15, 2014, 10:36 PM   #6
351 WINCHESTER

I ordered some new extractor springs from Wolff last Thursday and they arrived Monday. They are very good folks to do business with. Great cs which is rare these days.

Ejection of empties is still iffy. I will try a different magazine and let all know.
Old August 18, 2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Jim K

I don't think a new magazine will help, but it is one thing to try.

Jim
Old August 23, 2014, 09:45 PM   #8
351 WINCHESTER

I loaded some ammo last week and tried it the other day. Problem solved. Don't know if it's the different brass or the new extractor spring I installed from Wolff (good folks to deal with).