Quantcast
Damned coyotes..recommendations for electronic predator calls? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Shooting Activities and Venues > Hunting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 14, 2014, 01:36 PM   #1
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Damned coyotes..recommendations for electronic predator calls?

Well, I lost two more chickens, my red rooster and my old red hen. Still have my 3 banty hens, banty rooster, and one red hen left. I'm heating up my newly bought and never yet used incubator to try and raise some more.

This morning, I let the dog out the front door (65 lb female Lab). I'm getting ready to take a bath and I here her barking angrily in the back yard. Looked out there and there's a coyote, broad daylight about 9AM standing in the back yard pacing looking for a way to my chickens who are all squawking on the back porch. Dog ran it off before I could make it to the back door with my shotgun, dangit. Found the old hen's feathers, but the rooster's remains have yet to be found, probably out in the woods a ways.

So, now I'm thinkin' about taking up coyote hunting, getting an electronic call. Guess I could just get a mouth call, but I see electronic calls for well under 100 bucks around. Anyone got any recommendations on such? I've tried predator calling a few times, never shot anything. But, we've got way too many around here for my liking and, hell, I figure I might as well start a new hobby, right? I don't like night hunting, but don't have to stay out all night and I'll just be hunting about 200 yards into the woods behind the house, after all. And, heck, I could run in to a hog while I'm coyote hunting. I was thinkin' of clamping my green light to my .22 mag's scope, but with the possibility of a hog, I might just put it on the .308 and go for overkill on the yotes.
Old August 14, 2014, 03:26 PM   #2
returningfire

The Cass Creek Waggler is what I use, fairly inexpensive. There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.
Old August 14, 2014, 03:33 PM   #3
MCgunner

Quote:
There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.
Yeah, looking around at bass pro and Cabela's sites, I noticed that. Some of 'em are 5-600 bucks. I ain't THAT made at the yotes. Could get a mouth call, I guess, had 'em before, but never really got in to using 'em. But, then, never had a place so over-run with yotes, before and never had 'em eating my chickens.

I've seen these electronic things at Wallyworld for cheap, 30 bucls. Then I ran across this, remote and all.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104513580
Old August 14, 2014, 03:38 PM   #4
alsaqr

Quote:
The Cass Creek Waggler is what I use, fairly inexpensive. There are better ones but they can set you back a lot of bucks.
The Waggler works well for me too. Also have another Cass Creek call that works well.

http://www.casscreek.com/store/c/138...ame-Calls.aspx
Old August 14, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
MtnCreek

Chicken + twine + wood stake.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:02 PM   #6
wankerjake

The FoxPro Spitfire can be had for $100-150 used I think, FoxPro warranty and customer service supposed to be top notch too. You can't go wrong with FoxPro.

Hand calls work too and are cheaper. The TT Extreme by to Tony Tebbe is outstanding. The promos Lil' Dog is also productive and you can buy it with an instructional DVD by Randy Anderson that is good info for someone getting started.

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow."
Old August 14, 2014, 07:35 PM   #7
MCgunner

Quote:
Already thought of that, but they're the wife's pets.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:22 PM   #8
witchhunter

You can get a mouth call for just a few bucks, I like Burnham Bros. Sounds like you won't have to locate them, you know where they are......
Old August 14, 2014, 11:29 PM   #9
MCgunner

Yeah, we're swimming in 'em down here. To affirm this, all I have to do is walk out on the back porch at dusk or dawn and listen.
Old August 15, 2014, 12:26 AM   #10
Water-Man

allpredatorcalls.com is alot cheaper.
Old August 15, 2014, 09:14 AM   #11
MtnCreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCgunner View Post
Already thought of that, but they're the wife's pets.
Hunting together is a bonding experience. The wife may be proud that little Cluckie and you are spending so much time together.

Check out this site:
http://www.varmintal.net/ahunt.htm

I have a turbo dog. I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I can't say if it's a good caller or not. I can say the range has not been as far as advertised.

If you have any fields that need clipping, take a rifle with you on the tractor. I've killed more yotes bush hogging than calling.

Good luck, I hope you kill them all!
Old August 15, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCreek View Post
Don't know what the regs are in MC's state, but here, using a live animal or meat as bait for anything is illegal.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old August 15, 2014, 12:29 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Administrator

Texas is very, very loose when it comes to predator hunting. When on your own land, you don't even need a hunting license.

Me being lazy, I'd build a 4'x4' cage in the yard, in view of a window where I could set a comfy chair and read a book. Take the screen off the window. Ensure that it could be opened very quietly. Put chicken in cage. Sit. Read. See coyote? Open window. Shoot coyote.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:30 PM   #14
MCgunner

LOL, Art, already have that set up. I'm just thinkin' I would get a little night hunting in when it's only 90 degrees out at 10PM and maybe have some fun at it with a caller.

Actually, I got up before sun up this morning and just sat in the living room lookin' out the window, shotgun in hand. Nothing this AM. Did harvest an egg for the incubator. Gonna be interesting to see what a Rhode Island Red/Banty cross looks like. I've seen him chasing her and he's got no competition, now.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:16 PM   #15
jmorris

I built one using the info on varmit Al's page years ago.

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

I had a mp3 player already, thanks to kids getting IPods. The rest was well under $100.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:23 PM   #16
leadcounsel

Correction - "were the wife's pets."

Perhaps build a fence? You can't feasibly kill every threat (hawks, yotes, stray dogs, etc.), but you can enclose the chickens to relative safety, maybe let them out under supervision.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old August 16, 2014, 02:28 AM   #17
wankerjake

As a participant of both, I must say killing coyotes is WAY more fun than building fences.

"Once you quit hearing sir and ma'am, the rest is soon to follow."

Last edited by wankerjake; August 16, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old August 16, 2014, 04:43 AM   #18
Bobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman View Post
Me being lazy, I'd build a 4'x4' cage in the yard, in view of a window where I could set a comfy chair and read a book. Take the screen off the window. Ensure that it could be opened very quietly. Put chicken in cage. Sit. Read. See coyote? Open window. Shoot coyote.
You're a wise man, Art. That's smart hunting, right there.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15

"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - Edward Murrow
Old August 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #19
jmorris

If you don't want to sit around an wait on them, I build some game radios a number of years ago that will alert to motion. I used them for hunting hogs and the recorder had the radios location stored in it to play back when they were there.

If the coop is close enough to the house he could use one of the cheap driveway alerts.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:18 PM   #20
MCgunner

Well, I do have motion detectors good to 400 feet. Thought about putting one out.

Wife wanted to get out today, so we drove to Sugar Land/Gander Mountain and I picked up one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flextone-D...Calls/21345858
Old August 16, 2014, 09:21 PM   #21
jmorris

Quote:
Well, I do have motion detectors good to 400 feet. Thought about putting one out.
That is about all my driveway alert is good for. I have used the radios, like the one above, at 2.5 miles before.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:22 PM   #22
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCgunner View Post

Wife wanted to get out today, so we drove to Sugar Land/Gander Mountain and I picked up one of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flextone-D...Calls/21345858

Probably will work well. Any 'yote desperate enough to go close to human habitation during daylight hours, with a dog barking at them and allow those humans to get within a stone throw, will more than likely respond quickly to a predator call. Either you will get them or they will get the message to stay away.

Theiyr're...........take that Grammar Nazis!
Old August 17, 2014, 12:50 PM   #23
351 WINCHESTER

What Art said in post no. 13. Good luck Gunner and God bless.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:55 PM   #24
Art Eatman
Administrator

This is the sort of deal I had in mind when I did Post #13. The view out the window while sitting at the computer:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...7&d=1314237660

See the post at the edge of the grass? I've had coyotes come up the draw to check on edibles.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:47 PM   #25
MCgunner

Well, lost the last red hen. Dangit. Still got the Bantys. I sat out on the back porch for a while this evening with my .22 mag, light attached to the scope, and squalled on the rabbit call. Dog was barking earlier, might have run off anything that was out there. Don't know, but there'll be more serious efforts in the future. Neat thing, though, every time I squall on the call, the chickens go to clucking roosting on the back porch. Clucking hens can't hurt the attraction sounds. One of 'em is out in the hutch locked in. She went in there to lay and I locked her in last week.

The Bantys fly like friggin' big quail, eggs ain't much bigger, either. ;rolleyes: But, they seem to have a better chance at getting away.

I gotta wait for cooler weather. 8 O'Clock at night it's like a sauna out there. Ain't rained in a while, so at least the skeeters ain't bad. But, I can't sit out too long in this heat and humidity.

Last edited by MCgunner; August 17, 2014 at 09:53 PM.