Quantcast
Vintage Bulldog Crossdraw? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 21, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Mayvik

Vintage Bulldog Crossdraw?

Recently picked up an old model (late 60s) Charter Bulldog and am looking for a crossdraw holster. Recommendations? I would prefer something purpose built to using a 3" JFrame and calling it good enough.

Prefer something that sits almost horizontal (barrel axis along belt line) to something like a "reverse backwards appendix" style.
Old August 22, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Hardtarget

I don't go looking at holster makers web sites, but, I haven't seen one like you've described. ( if I've visualized correctly)

You may find a good leather crafter that can put one together for you.

If you find the right one post a photo for us....we'd like to see what you come up with!

Mark
Old August 22, 2014, 02:04 AM   #3
blindhari

Might want to take a look at Ross leather holsters South Africa. Take a look at their "driving" holster. I have one for an SP101 and one for a charter arms. Works for me.

blindhari
Old August 23, 2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Drail

Bulldogs are a little larger than a J frame. A holster for a Colt D frame (Detective Special) fits them just about perfectly. Maybe look for makers who do Colt holsters. Cross draw holsters are my pick but they are not as abundant as strong side rigs. Some strong side rigs can be worn cross draw. If you try to carry it horizontally it must be a good fit with some type retention or it will fall out (usually right in front of a cop or somebody who is terrified at the sight of a "gun".)
Old August 23, 2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

One option might be a 3 slot pancake type holster made in heavy nylon that can be reversed.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old August 23, 2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Mayvik

Looks like Simply Rugged makes one that will work and I have read good things.
Old August 25, 2014, 04:01 AM   #7
Lucky Derby

Simply Rugged makes good stuff.

Not sure if SR makes one or not, but it sounds like you are looking for what is commonly refered to as a "driving holster".
Old August 25, 2014, 07:24 AM   #8
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drail View Post
Bulldogs are a little larger than a J frame. A holster for a Colt D frame (Detective Special) fits them just about perfectly. Maybe look for makers who do Colt holsters. Cross draw holsters are my pick but they are not as abundant as strong side rigs. Some strong side rigs can be worn cross draw. If you try to carry it horizontally it must be a good fit with some type retention or it will fall out (usually right in front of a cop or somebody who is terrified at the sight of a "gun".)
They also fit holsters for the SP-101, which are much easier to find. I just picked up a Galco Fletch for mine.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old September 10, 2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Mayvik

Simply Rugged came in...nice holster and given that I don't figure Charter holsters are hot sellers it was done fast. Not sure it is exactly what I want as far as cant and sits a little high, but seems sturdy and comfortable..at least standing. Seated I am poking myself in the gut with the butt. The plus side is I can use the same holster got strong side and got the IWB straps as well so it is a keeper.

Will carry it a bit and see how it goes, may need to try a driving holster as well.