Quantcast
I found my bad back rig. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Holsters and Accessories

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 2, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Hometeached1

I found my bad back rig.

It's a Bianchi model 57 with a S&W 642.

I recently got the holster in a trade thinking it would be good taking classes with my 642 (since with most classes you have to have the handgun on your belt.) and for carrying my 642 loaded with snake shot when I'm doing chores around the "farm".

Well as it would go, I pulled my back Thursday when setting up field fence (to keep in the goats we were suppose to get today.) because I was rushing to beat the rain. So I tried to take things easy yesterday I carried this combo all day. Now I'm used to either a G19 or a compact S&W 3rd gen .45 carried IWB and two mags with no discomfort everyday with the 642 as back up in my pocket, so this was new to me just walking around with nothing but a J-frame and a speed loader and speed strip. (Go ahead and laugh, I know I'm paranoid. )

So this got me wondering what are the members of THR's bad back carry set up?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Looking forward to what everyone set up is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.9 KB, 141 views)

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.

Last edited by Hometeached1; August 2, 2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: To add photo.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Hurryin' Hoosier

My bad back is why God gave me front pockets!
Old August 4, 2014, 06:15 AM   #3
ljnowell

It's funny you say that. I'm actually disabled due to my back. I carry almost the exact same rig 75% of the time. I picked up the bianchi 57 from midway for 35 bucks and I carry a 637 in mine.

It's so light and comfortable that it's easy to forget you are wearing it.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Bobson

Does the Bianchi 57 hold the J-Frame securely?

Props to you guys for carrying at all with a bad back. I hurt my back a few years ago while moving. Until then, I always thought people complaining about back pain were being babies. But my God, that was some debilitating pain. I don't think I would have committed to carrying a toothbrush, much less a gun and ammo. Thankfully a chiropractor was able to fix me up, and I still get adjusted a few times each year just to be safe.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15
Old August 4, 2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Hometeached1

Bobson, it holds it very well. It's not a retention holster, but I an hold it upside down and shake it side to side it does not come out.

Hurryin' Hoosier, I prefer to carry on my belt because I can reach it from more positions than with pocket carry. Glad it works for you!

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old August 4, 2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Hometeached1

ljnowell, I agree. The only reason I noticed it was because it was SO light!

Old August 4, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometeached1 View Post
ljnowell, I agree. The only reason I noticed it was because it was SO light!

It is without a doubt the most comfortable OWB I have ever carried. In fact I just put it on to head out today to do my business. I drop a couple HKS speedloaders in my pockets and I'm good to go.
Old August 4, 2014, 03:05 PM   #8
lobo9er

380... say what you will nothing is easier for EDC, except maybe a J frame. Nice setup! I like grips.
Old August 4, 2014, 06:13 PM   #9
BullfrogKen
Moderator Pluribus

Not so much a bad back, but for when another issue rares its ugly head:

Holster made by Rusty Sherrick. I had one fit for a Colt Detective Special/Cobra.

Patrick Johnakin Brown Shoe Corp. Muzzle Up Shoulder Holster

NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Across-the-Course
NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Mid-Range Prone

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old August 5, 2014, 02:47 PM   #10
royal barnes

Years of back and leg issues have me walking with a cane all the time. I have discovered that about 20 ozs. loaded is my limit and nothing iwb or owb from 3:00 back. I recently bought a gently used Sig P938 Nightmare. It has been reliable through 200 rounds, weighs about 19 ozs. loaded, and will become my EDC. I let a salesman talk me into a Remora at the last gunshow. I'm glad he did. AIWB is very secure and comfortable. No extra pain and I'm armed all the time.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #11
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
Not so much a bad back, but for when another issue rares its ugly head:

Holster made by Rusty Sherrick. I had one fit for a Colt Detective Special/Cobra.

Patrick Johnakin Brown Shoe Corp. Muzzle Up Shoulder Holster

How hard is it to draw from a rig like that? It looks awkward, but is it?
Old August 6, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
BullfrogKen
Moderator Pluribus

Not a bit.

It is held in place by relief cuts that grab onto the recoil shield and a very strong V-spring at the mouth of the clamshell.

Re-holstering it is a bit of a trick, though.

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
Old August 7, 2014, 01:14 AM   #13
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullfrogKen View Post
Not a bit.

It is held in place by relief cuts that grab onto the recoil shield and a very strong V-spring at the mouth of the clamshell.

Re-holstering it is a bit of a trick, though.

Very interesting.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Hometeached1

BullfrogKen, I just had a flash back to Crocker from Kojak.

If I ever get a DS I'm getting a upside down shoulder holster like that, just for nostalgias sake, but I'm going to go so far as to wear the style of clothes of that time period!

Thanks everyone who has responded so far.

Last edited by Hometeached1; August 7, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old August 7, 2014, 09:52 PM   #15
BullfrogKen
Moderator Pluribus

It definitely is old school. It's one of the hardest, most labor-intensive holsters Rusty makes.

But it is slick as snot on the draw, carries much more comfortably than a horizontal draw, and it just plain cool.

Old August 11, 2014, 02:53 AM   #16
Twiki357

That setup of Bullfrogs brings back memories. I used a muzzle up shoulder rig similar to that back in the 1960’s with a Model 36, but the retention was by a piece of heavy elastic. It was a comfortable setup until the elastic started to stretch out.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:20 PM   #17
Deltaboy

I buy pleated front slacks and pocket carry my old undercover.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:23 PM   #18
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaboy View Post
I buy pleated front slacks and pocket carry my old undercover.

I used to pocket carry an LCR also. It's a good way to carry with a bad back but it's not the best for tactical reasons.
Old August 27, 2014, 12:13 PM   #19
KenW.

Quote:
My bad back is why God gave me front pockets!
Levi Straus gave me my pockets.

Douglas MacArthur
Old August 27, 2014, 07:55 PM   #20
TRX

> How hard is it to draw from a rig like that? It looks awkward, but is it?

Trivially easy. I normally just reach up under my untucked shirt and up. And for extra bonus points, it's just as easy to reach it with either hand.
Old August 28, 2014, 03:44 PM   #21
royal barnes

But, putting it back is a whole different story. When I carried a Berns-Martin upside down I usually just put my Colt Agent in my pocket after drawing so I didn't have to worry with it. The one with the elastic was a little easier on reholstering but the elastic would eventually stretch.
Old August 28, 2014, 05:22 PM   #22
TRX

Yes, you're correct. Re-holstering would be greatly simplified if I had an extra elbow joint. On the other hand, re-holstering my horizontal-carry .45 isn't any easier.

It's just a downside to having superb comfort and concealability.